Notifications
Clear all

Tretinoin .04% - no 'purging' is this normal?

MemberMember
(@facialdream25)

Posted : 03/06/2016 3:45 pm

I've had acne for years but my main problem has always been acne marks, i have a lot of them on my lower face (cheeks/sides of mouth/under chin). Been to the dermatologist several times, but she always wanted to treat my acne first before getting to the marks.(The marks have always bothered me more than pimples since i had more) Recently ive been put on Tretinoin microsphere .04% and Clindamycin phosphate 1% topical lotion. I would say the clindamycin has definitely helped stop my break outs as i only have a few pimples now, but i still have my marks (i do believe they are finally fading but very slowly). Anyway my question is, i've been using this for almost a month now and i have not broken out like everyone says happens in the first month. But i have noticed smoother skin and peeling some days. Is it possible to not break out from this? I tried this stuff years ago and i broke out the first week of use, my thought is maybe now i don't have as much "junk" in my face as before?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/06/2016 4:09 pm

The answer is 'who knows'. Some people get heavy purging, some light and some, none to speak of. Purging can also happen at the beginning, middle or much later on in treatment. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Enjoy the smooth transition as many are not so lucky.