Notifications
Clear all

Dairy free- how much do I have to give up?

MemberMember
(@chloer43)

Posted : 03/03/2016 6:22 pm

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help?

I've gone dairy free for about a month now, with good success (bar one day, where I ate a lot of dairy and the day after I woke up with 3 new spots) I've had a few smaller spots, but no cysts in the whole month, which is fantastic going for me! So after having acne for 8 years, copious over the counter and prescription treatments, with no success, eating dairy free has kept me the clearest I've been in a long time. Hurrah!

The only downside is, I am a massive dairy lover. I love cheese, I love chocolate and most of all I love milky tea. What I want to know is, anyone who has cut down/cut out dairy for their acne is, is there any chance I could introduce dairy back, a milky tea here, a mac and cheese there, without it making my skin break out. Is there a threshold to how much dairy causes acne and as long as you stay under it you stay clear?  From what I can find, there aren't many studies on going dairy free for acne in the first place, let alone how much dairy you can eat before it makes you spotty. 

Is there anyone who does this, eats dairy free 70% of the time and dairy 30% or something like that?

I know the only real answer is time and trialling eating different amounts out, but it's only been a month and missing milky tea is making me grumpy :P

So if anyone could shed some light I would be grateful! 

Tah!

Chloe

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 03/03/2016 11:45 pm

I drink milk by the gallon and it doesn't affect (worsen) my acne one single bit. I tried cutting out milk for a few months and it did nothing either.

I'm just amazed how fast milk has a reaction on you (you mentioned waking up to 3 new spots after drinking milk the day before). I mean, haven't you been drinking milk all along? And does it break you out without fail every morning? Or is this some placebo reaction to your new 'milk control' diet? That as soon as you get a new spot, you attribute it to milk.

MemberMember
(@cfralic)

Posted : 03/04/2016 10:02 am

I noticed that I was breaking out instantly like you're describing, and it actually turned out that I was lactose intolerant. Do you notice any digestive issues when you drink milk? Cheese is delicious, I know it totally sucks, and it's very difficult to completely eliminate it- it's in a lot of products you wouldn't expect. I live near a city with great food and love to eat out but have to be super careful because often I'll eat something without realizing it's got some type of dairy additive.

Good luck. 🙂

Jazzguy liked
MemberMember
(@chloer43)

Posted : 03/23/2016 4:49 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Convinceme, I can't tell you that for sure it must be the milk, but I can tell you that dairy was the only thing that had changed and my skin is currently the clearest it has been in a long time. I am still breaking out slightly, but not to the big, cystic extent that I was before. The fact I am getting less big spots is also allowing my damaged skin to heal (before I was getting big cysts in the exact same place over and over again, so the post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation was really bad). I used to drink a lot of milky tea and cheese, and I would wake up with new spots every single day. I have a handful of photos that I started to take for a while over last summer, as a little acne diary, but I hate my skin too much to post them.

Cfalic, I was fairly farty when I used to drink a lot of milk and I used to get a lot of tummy achetoo! I always thought it was because I ate loads of veg haha. It's hard, but I am managing. Even stuff like cuppa soup I can't have, and I'd have never thought there was milk in it! Eating out is so difficult, I sometimes just say no because my friends don't understand that food options are very limited and I don't want to mess up my skin. But then again, they have never had skin troubles like myself and I hope they never do!

I think for now, I'm going to continue being dairy free and in the future experiment with dairy and see what happens. But I am enhoying my skin currently! Much more than I have done in what seems like forever!

Thanks again guys!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 04/11/2016 10:19 am

Hi! It sucks cause I love dairy too. Here's what I find, milk, cream, cheese and ice cream and yogurt are the worst. If there's a little dairy in a baked good or other product it doesn't bother me but eating it alone or especially with sugar is BAD. I don't have any digestive issues with milk but dairy makes me cough a lot. I also get almost immediate break outs from dairy. It causes inflammation and that's a big part of the problem. There's lots of alternatives, like you can use soy or rice milk in cereal, sauces etc. Sadly no good substitutes for ice cream or cheese though. Even " vegan" cheese can have casein which is part of milk. I say, avoid it most times but if you're really craving it, know you'll be breaking out and accept it.

On 3/3/2016 at 11:45 PM, Convinceme said:

I drink milk by the gallon and it doesn't affect (worsen) my acne one single bit. I tried cutting out milk for a few months and it did nothing either.

I'm just amazed how fast milk has a reaction on you (you mentioned waking up to 3 new spots after drinking milk the day before). I mean, haven't you been drinking milk all along? And does it break you out without fail every morning? Or is this some placebo reaction to your new 'milk control' diet? That as soon as you get a new spot, you attribute it to milk.
Ive read a lot of info about dairy...its pretty bad for you whether or not it breaks you out. Hormones, inflammatory properties, lots of allergies, trace amounts of pus and blood...no thanks.

MemberMember
(@rhodalove)

Posted : 04/12/2016 7:04 pm

On March 2, 2016 at 6:22 PM, chloer43 said:

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help?

I've gone dairy free for about a month now, with good success (bar one day, where I ate a lot of dairy and the day after I woke up with 3 new spots) I've had a few smaller spots, but no cysts in the whole month, which is fantastic going for me! So after having acne for 8 years, copious over the counter and prescription treatments, with no success, eating dairy free has kept me the clearest I've been in a long time. Hurrah!

The only downside is, I am a massive dairy lover. I love cheese, I love chocolate and most of all I love milky tea. What I want to know is, anyone who has cut down/cut out dairy for their acne is, is there any chance I could introduce dairy back, a milky tea here, a mac and cheese there, without it making my skin break out. Is there a threshold to how much dairy causes acne and as long as you stay under it you stay clear?  From what I can find, there aren't many studies on going dairy free for acne in the first place, let alone how much dairy you can eat before it makes you spotty. 

Is there anyone who does this, eats dairy free 70% of the time and dairy 30% or something like that?

I know the only real answer is time and trialling eating different amounts out, but it's only been a month and missing milky tea is making me grumpy :P

So if anyone could shed some light I would be grateful! 

Tah!

Chloe

I would recommend avoid dairy products including cheese, cow's milk, ice cream, and etc. They have alternatives nowadays which can be good replacements for the dairy you crave. It's better to use alternative milks like almond milk, coconut milk, and other nut milks. I would also advise limiting your sugar intake to see if you notice any improvements in your skin.

MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 04/12/2016 7:42 pm

Only dairy that has been proven to worsen acne is skim milk and any sugary foods such as sugared dairy products.
My teenagers with acne drink whole milk and avoid any processed and unnatural foods (you cannot find in the nature any almond milk and similar), and it works well for them, but other people can have different experience, so the above is just as a general info.

Best!

Vise

Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 04/13/2016 1:53 am

What

6 hours ago, Viseslav Tonkovic-Capin said:

Only dairy that has been proven to worsen acne is skim milk and any sugary foods such as sugared dairy products.
My teenagers with acne drink whole milk and avoid any processed and unnatural foods (you cannot find in the nature any almond milk and similar), and it works well for them, but other people can have different experience, so the above is just as a general info.

Best!

Vise

What do you consider as unnatural foods ?