Notifications
Clear all

My Accutane Log - 17M - Pictures

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/02/2016 5:16 pm

Hello, thanks for reading my log. Before I start my journey, here is a little bit about my situation...

I am 17 years old with a combination of moderate cystic and inflamed acne. I have dealt with this for quite some time now, and have tried just about every diet alteration/natural remedy in the book. Although I am a health freak, I decided on March 1st, 2016, that I would begin taking Accutane. I am doing this for the betterment of my communication and social skills, as I am going into the political field and can't have this pestering acne hold me back I would love to hear from people who are going through or have gone through a similar situation,and any words of advice would be sweet, thanks.Pictures will be updated weekly.

Day 1 and 2

Well, here we go I guess. It is currently March 2, 2016, a little less than 24 hours since I took my first 40mg pill of Amnesteem Isotretinoin. I was originally going to take 20mg a day, but due to insurance and cost issues I was only able to obtain tablets in 40mg dosages. So in hopes to match 20mg daily, I am taking a single 40mg tablet every other day until further notice. So far, the only side effect I have noticed is that the inside of my nose is abnormally dry. I fear that bloody noses could be an issue for me, as I am already prone to them and have them almost daily. They usually last 2-4 minutes. I am very active and do lots of running around in a dry gym, but with the basketball season coming to a close and my recent purchase of a humidifier I think the consistency of me getting them could begin to drop. My scalp has also been quite itchy this evening.

Pictures

Pictures will be updated regularly and kept in an album here: http://imgur.com/a/ArJsz

If you recognize me please keep it to yourself, thanks.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/03/2016 11:53 pm

Day 3

Took my second 40mg pill today, only update would be the arrival of two deep and inflamed smaller cysts. They already seem to be moving to the surface and shrinking within 24 hours so that is nice I guess. Hoping to start seeing signs that the medicine is doing its job.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/05/2016 2:28 pm

Day 4

Currently no huge changes besides the onset of dry lips and breakout on my chin and left cheekbone.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/05/2016 10:40 pm

Day 5

Chin still breaking out, I had two colorless cysts on my forehead that popped up before I started Accutane that seem to be shrinking by the hour. Experiencing overall body dryness and an achy lower back. May be from too much basketball, will have to monitor it closely. Still very optimistic.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/07/2016 5:47 pm

Day 6 and 7

Breaking out on chin, forehead and cheekbones. Chin is pretty inflamed, have about 6-7 inflamed deep pustules. Very red and quite painful. I'm just really hoping that this is my IB, and not a breakout from switching cleansers. I will update with pictures tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/09/2016 6:22 pm

Day 8 and 9

Chin much better. The ones I get on my chin usually linger for a week or two, but I can tell the life span of these ones will be much smaller. I have quite a few whiteheads and new cyst on my right cheek. So far my side effects include mild dry lips, lower back pain and occasional chest pain in my sternum area. I plan on uploading pictures soon. I am currently taking 40mg of Amnesteem daily now, instead of every other day.

Pictures updated today, will be #2 set. http://imgur.com/a/ArJsz

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/10/2016 11:47 pm

Day 10

Overall, I'd say that the breakout that hit me a few days ago is already healing faster than it ever usually does. Very happy about that! Last night (day 9) was kinda sketchy, as my skin was abnormally itchy. The humidifier I purchased I think has helped with my nose and lips, so I would say that buying one would be worth it even after a course. I know I'm not going to get away from this without an IB  so I am preparing for whenever it decides to arise. I am excited for the future, and would love to see some improvements! 

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/11/2016 5:04 pm

Ugh the itchy skin is the worst huh? Definitely my least favorite side effect so far, it's just so intense and relentless. Especially at night. I've started feeling some relief from a steroid cream my derm gave me. Maybe call your derm and ask?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/11/2016 10:10 pm

5 hours ago, Stephen23 said:

Ugh the itchy skin is the worst huh? Definitely my least favorite side effect so far, it's just so intense and relentless. Especially at night. I've started feeling some relief from a steroid cream my derm gave me. Maybe call your derm and ask?

Yeah it's pretty annoying. I revved up my humidifier and slathered on some lotion before bed and it helped a lot. Thanks for the tip, if it becomes a problem again I will definitely call.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/13/2016 1:25 am

Day 11 and 12

I think my skin is looking better! Less red at times, but more red than usual at other times. I guess it just fluctuates in redness. Acne is looking a tad better also. Not entirely sure though, I think its too close to call. Back and neck pain is pretty rough. Hurts to bend and hard to sleep with my neck pain. Lips starting to get pretty dry. Stay positive!

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/13/2016 10:41 pm

Day 13

Few new whiteheads with dry lips and nose. Face looking pretty decent though!

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 03/14/2016 7:19 am

On 3/4/2016 at 4:53 AM, Diamond98 said:
Day 3

Took my second 40mg pill today, only update would be the arrival of two deep and inflamed smaller cysts. They already seem to be moving to the surface and shrinking within 24 hours so that is nice I guess. Hoping to start seeing signs that the medicine is doing its job. Very optimistic and happy to even just have the opportunity to obtain these pills. There are people out there who can't afford to purchase Accutane and may need it more than I do, and to that I dedicate this post to them. Stay strong and positive.

You can't have done your research. Look at repairing long term effects of accutane on this forum. Amongst all the other horrible side effects it
can cause permanent erectile dysfunction and you will not be able to do sport at a high level again. This is not rare. We don't have records but we think ED is most likely at least 30%. I am not trying to frighten you. Please just look at what people are saying years after taking accutane.
The side effects during accutane are irreverent. Need more info PM me. Good luck

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/14/2016 5:05 pm

9 hours ago, hatetane said:
You can't have done your research. Look at repairing long term effects of accutane on this forum. Amongst all the other horrible side effects it
can cause permanent erectile dysfunction and you will not be able to do sport at a high level again. This is not rare. We don't have records but we think ED is most likely at least 30%. I am not trying to frighten you. Please just look at what people are saying years after taking accutane.
The side effects during accutane are irreverent. Need more info PM me. Good luck

I don't need to hear this from you. You are very disrespectful in the sense that you have assumed my ignorance on the topic of Accutane, and for the record, I am fully aware of its side effects.

MemberMember
(@tranceaddict)

Posted : 03/15/2016 11:28 am

On March 14, 2016 at 6:19 AM, hatetane said:

Your scare campaign is unnecessary. If this was the case the drug would be pulled from the market by the FDA. Yes, the drug has side effects, much like any other drug, but the incidence of adverse events is low. If you were familiar with the science behind Accutnae (medical studies, patient outcome data, pharmacokentics) you would understand that the claims you are making are outlandish. A very small percentage of the population may get the severe side effects but the large majority will not. The problem with basing your info on a forum is that people are much more likely to write about their negative experiences with the drug than a positive experience. I'm not saying this drug is 100% safe, but those that notice serious side effects are often taken off the drug before any long term damage is done.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/15/2016 10:20 pm

Day 14 and 15

My face is looking pretty decent, fingers crossed. It seems maybe a tad more red in some regions, but most of my acne seems to be healing rather well. Although I'm hoping I already had my IB, I have the feeling that it may show up in months 2 or 3. Hopefully, I can avoid it and just steadily heal. That would be fantastic. But hey, if "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts we'd all have a great Christmas! Either way I am feeling pretty decent. For all of those out there going through rough times, acne or not, stay strong and positive!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/16/2016 9:53 am

Keep up the great work!!!! 

Best wishes on your Accutane journey!!

-DeLovely

Diamond98 liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/16/2016 10:35 pm

Day 16

Some inflamed whitehead things forming around mouth, I feel a few new bumps on my cheeks. Still looking pretty decent though. Been moisturizing 3x daily and it has really helped. Still get a tad flakey though. Back pain still there, makes basketball a little challenging. Will post pics soon.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/17/2016 10:37 pm

Day 17

Face less red. My oil levels have significantly decreased. Back pain and occasional hip/knee pain. Very tired in mornings even though get 7-8 hrs of sleep on weekdays and 10ish on weekends. Skin on hands and forearms is noticeably thinner. Breaking out slightly on right and left cheekbones, some seems to be coming to head quickly. Colorless bumps under lip kinda bothersome. Still feeling good though. To all out there reading this, stay positive!

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/18/2016 11:59 pm

Day 18

Face still breaking out a tad on my right and left cheeks, with some smaller whitehead forming around my mouth that are gone by the end of the day and a couple deeper ones along the bottom of my bottom lip in the corner. Still feel good, but the back pain is pretty severe. I forgot to mention that I dislocated my left shoulder playing basketball for the first time ever earlier this week. It could be that Accutane is making me a little fragile, as I have taken harder falls/hits before and never have dislocated anything. Face feels a little more irritated today than in days past, especially for a while after washing it. Still moisturizing 3x daily.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/20/2016 12:03 am

Day 19

Spent the day away from home and wasn't able to moisturize in the afternoon. I expected to be super flaky, especially since I was outside in colder weather for hours, but I wasn't. Didn't look dry a bit. I guess I'm pretty happy about that, but also concerned that the drug isn't really doing anything. It's been 19 days of a 40mg, so the drug is definitely in me nice and deep now. My back is still in some harsh pain though. Not really breaking out anymore, but around my mouth is red and splotchy. Might just be from the cold though. Warriors lost at Spurs tonight, pretty bummed. Can't get too bent out of shape though. Stay positive everyone!

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/20/2016 10:21 pm

Day 20

Lips pretty dry today. I drink close to 250oz of water a day so its hard to keep lip balm on them. Face looks pale, splotchy and tired. Redness seems to come and go. The breakouts on my cheekbones seem to be healing nicely already. There are 4 deep colorless cysts on the right side of my face that I hope go away soon, you can't see them too well but the are extremely uncomfortable. I will for sure add pictures tomorrow, and look into some way of organizing them side by side.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/21/2016 10:22 pm

Day 21

Lips chapped but manageable. Face decent today besides some colorless bumps on bot cheeks. Face looks decent in pictures but still rather flushed. Blackheads pushing out on nose. Still pretty decent today.

Pictures updated today, will be #3 set. http://imgur.com/a/ArJsz

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/23/2016 10:49 pm

Day 23

Face is breaking out, not in mass numbers but a few deep and inflamed spots have popped up on both cheekbones. It is rather painful and protrudes from the tips of my cheekbones. The last set of pictures were taken about 5 days ago, and I definitely have gotten worse. Surprisingly enough, my face still looks decent even though this is probably the most active deep spots I've ever had. Neck is breaking out a tad. Still optimistic for the future.

I have also failed to mention the back of my neck. It has always been a place were I get really deep cysts, and I had about 4 going into tane. They seem to have reduced in size greatly, I am very happy about it.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/24/2016 4:38 pm

Glad the deep cysts on your neck have gone done. hang in there

Diamond98 liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/24/2016 11:17 pm

Day 24

Face calming down a tad, still some inflamed deep stuff on my cheekbones and around my mouth. Blackheads on nose really starting to push out. Still optimistic!