Notifications
Clear all

22 y/o male college student seeking advice

MemberMember
(@fredflintstone)

Posted : 03/02/2016 3:03 pm

First let me start off by saying I have never had a girlfriend or serious relationship. I've never even kissed a girl or held hands with a girl. I've had girls that have liked me (or not)in the past (despite my disfigured face) but I reject myself before anything serious happens. I assume everyone in the world is shallow and that everyone is always staring and laughing at me. Currently studying accounting in college but it is a nightmare going because of my severe anxiety and depression. I've had acne since I was like 12 so by now my face is full of scarring and popped blood vessels (which my dematologist told me cannot be fixed with fraxel). I am considering getting fraxel.

Never took accutane but did take another acne prescription drug that messed up my brain a lot (i feel it made my depression and anxiety worse and caused the dissolution of my old band). I produce music and am starting to gain success with that (i don't want to give too much info). But man, the scarring on my face is really messing with my head. I feel like I have acne dysmorphia or something because in high school it was full blown cystic acne now it's much better but i'm left with the scars and occasional breakouts. Senior in college I grad this semester but am struggling because of the spotlight effect (i feel everyone is always staring at me and thinking i'm ugly, etc) like "look at that guy i'm glad i'm not him". I am really smart, driven,and motivated to succeed in life however I feel my face is holding me back. I'm also white/hispanicso my acne scarringis really noticeable.

Anyway if you could help me or give me advice, maybe you've been in the same situation as me...it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 03/02/2016 3:54 pm

First off, an accounting degree is one of the best degrees you can have. Good paying accounting jobs are always in demand. You sound like a smart guy that should be able to find success in your field. If you are a good accountant, most professionals wont care what you look like if you can keep the numbers correct.

I am 26, and went through the same things as you. My scarring was never very deep, but it was plentiful and created an asymmetry on my face. I had 2 full face fraxel restores, and one more on the heaviest part of scarring on my face a year ago, and I am generally pleased with the results. Every competent laser dr I have spoken too is strongly against co2 lasers, which cause the most severe side effects like hyperpigmentation. If you go with fraxel, you need to manage your expectations. Expect to improve, not remove the scars. Your skin will become very sensitive to the sun, and you will need to commit to a continued, disciplined regimen or the results will fall off. I have found that the best way to maintain, and boost results from fraxel is by exfoliating. I use AHA nightly, and an antioxidant peel weekly keeping my face smooth. Continued use of sunscreen is non-negotiable. You should probably have the windows on your car tinted as well. At 5+ feet away, you cant really see the asymmetry anymore, but it is still totally noticeable up close with overhead lighting, and especially in the car. Im not sure there is anything I can do about that, other than to tell people to **** off if they stare too long.

Where are you located? If you are in the NE USA, I can recommend some good laser dr's. Not really sure what all you want to know, if you have any questions lmk.

MemberMember
(@mariahklindworth-hotmail-com)

Posted : 03/02/2016 4:24 pm

hey thanks for the reply. No i'm over on the west coast. This is a really informative post. Will read it in again in more depth in a few!

Honestly I think the worst thing about having scarring is the fact that people seem to care so much. Why can't people mind their own ****** business?

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 03/02/2016 4:47 pm

I think its a matter of finding the right people. The only people who care in my experience are insecure, arrogant, narcissistic frat boy types. If you are a good accountant, you should be able to find a sophisticated person to hire you and work with.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/02/2016 5:24 pm

Lots in common with you...also 22, also white/hispanic. Graduated from college last year. It sounds like you currently suffer more from scars and redness, with just the occasional breakout. Have you considered doing chemical peels? Those can help with redness, pigmentation issues, light scarring, and even acne. I've had a lot done at my dermatologist and love them. Usually only a down time of a few days. You can also order chemical peels from Amazon and do them yourself at home, but you need to be careful.

-John- liked
MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 03/02/2016 5:33 pm

3 minutes ago, Stephen23 said:

Lots in common with you...also 22, also white/hispanic. Graduated from college last year. It sounds like you currently suffer more from scars and redness, with just the occasional breakout. Have you considered doing chemical peels? Those can help with redness, pigmentation issues, light scarring, and even acne. I've had a lot done at my dermatologist and love them. Usually only a down time of a few days. You can also order chemical peels from Amazon and do them yourself at home, but you need to be careful.

Do you do at home peels? Which do you use? This is the one I use, created by the Dr. that performer fraxel on me,

http://www.gilt.com/brand/laseresults/product/1091298677-laseresults-high-fluence-antioxident-peel-system?origin=s_brand

MemberMember
(@ichhasseakne)

Posted : 03/04/2016 11:27 am

OP, do not despair. I recently turned 30 and have never had a GF before. I am white/asian so the scarring I have is also easily visible...

Please try your best to focus on the transition from college to the real working world and try not to focus as much on getting women. I have read that bit of advice in so many places across many forums on the net. Make the best life for yourself in terms of career, hobbies, social network.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/04/2016 5:54 pm

On 3/2/2016 at 5:33 PM, QuanHenry said:
Do you do at home peels? Which do you use? This is the one I use, created by the Dr. that performer fraxel on me,

http://www.gilt.com/brand/laseresults/product/1091298677-laseresults-high-fluence-antioxident-peel-system?origin=s_brand

i use a 40% glycolic acid peel from amazon. well, not right now cause im on accutane but i had a bottle for awhile.