Notifications
Clear all

The Purpose of Probiotics + Antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/29/2016 11:52 pm

Hi guys, I've heard that it's beneficial to take probiotics while on a course of antibiotics because the latter destroys all the good flora in our gut, thereby causing indigestion, etc. That's all to it? Apart from that, are there any other benefits to taking probiotics? I mean, do probiotics sort of make the antibiotics work even better?

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 03/01/2016 8:06 pm

I'm something of a sceptic about probiotics while taking antibiotics. If the probiotic bacteria survive the journey through the stomach and into the intestines surely the antibiotic will just kill them straight away as it has supposedly done to the original gut flora? Maybe probiotics should be reserved for after completion of an antibiotic treatment to try and repopulate once antibiotic residues are washed out...that's my 2 cents anyway.

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 03/01/2016 8:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was also half-wondering if there's anything to make the antibiotics even more effective. I don't know, maybe eating some kind of food?

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 03/02/2016 3:30 pm

Some meds including some antibiotics are prescribed to be "taken with food". This is either because those meds are absorbed by the body better if the stomach is in digesting mode or because those meds may irritate the stomach lining more without some food mass in there. Some meds are prescribed to be taken on an empty stomach for the opposite reason that food may interfere with their optimum absorption. Beyond that the prescribed dose has been determined to be effective so the best you can do is to follow the prescribed dosage regime.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/02/2016 4:02 pm

Here's an article I thought you might find interesting, and might find the answers to your questions. Many studies out there actually show taking probiotics (with or without antibiotics) is beneficial for preventing acne. My son is taking minocycline, as well as a probiotic. Never take them together or as the above poster states, the antibiotic will just wipe them out. Wait at least 2 hours after taking antibiotics, and take the probiotic with food, or else stomach acids may destroy the probiotic. Food also creates an ideal environment in the gut for healthy flora to thrive. Maintaining some healthy flora while on antibiotics will help minimize GI issues, as well as slow overgrowth of candida, which can lead to yeast infections or jock itch. GI discomfort and side effects is the number one reason many people don't stick with antibiotics for acne treatment. Probiotics should continue for a few weeks after a course of antibiotics to fully restore healthy gut flora back to normal levels. Hope this helps! :)
http://vitamedica.com/wellness-blog/probiotics-and-acne-control-what-you-need-to-know/

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 03/02/2016 6:22 pm

2 hours ago, DeLovely said:

an article

Soooo I don't want to say that what it says here is wrong or anything - coz I'm not enough of a scientist to know, but it's a pretty interesting subject. However, I'd feel a lot better about it if it wasn't from a website that happens to be selling probiotics, you know what I mean?

@Convinceme there is something interesting here though relating to another topic I saw you post about dairy.
They are citing (but unfortunately not linking to) research showing some acne improvement in people given a drink containing lactoferrin, which appears to be a protein found in cows milk (and people milk). I'm guessing it's a higher concentration in the study and whatnot (I couldn't find a lot of details about it in a quick search), but that could maybe be relevant to what you were experiencing?

Edit: Also just noticed the article seemingly criticises antibiotics for being medium to broad spectrum, and then later praises this drink thing "for broad antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activities." I don't really follow that...

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/02/2016 7:39 pm

17 hours ago, WittySock said:
Soooo I don't want to say that what it says here is wrong or anything - coz I'm not enough of a scientist to know, but it's a pretty interesting subject. However, I'd feel a lot better about it if it wasn't from a website that happens to be selling probiotics, you know what I mean?

@Convinceme

@Wittysock...fair enough, the website does have a product to sell, and I did have misgivings about using it for that reason. But I felt this article explained the pro-probiotic argument better than other sources I've found. There's sources for and against taking probiotics. Some say it even contributes to acne in some people. But as a mom, I feel best about giving my son a probiotic along with the antibiotic, and our derm agreed. To me it just makes sense. But as there are different schools of thought on this, it's up to each person to do the research, weigh the pros and cons, and then do what feels right to him or her, just like anything else out there (accutane, etc.). What works for one person (or for many) won't necessarily work for all. Acne is a very tricky disorder and there is no "one-size-fits-all" answer for it.

Here's another article on the subject that may seem more fair:
http://www.acneeinstein.com/new-study-shows-probiotic-supplements-reduce-acne/

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 03/02/2016 8:12 pm

Summary: the more I read about probiotics (and about people taking them as supplements), the more I gather that it worsens acne rather than improve it...this is freaky stuff.

1 hour ago, WittySock said:

@Convinceme there is something interesting here though relating to another topic I saw you post about dairy.
They are citing (but unfortunately not linking to) research showing some acne improvement in people given a drink containing lactoferrin, which appears to be a protein found in cows milk (and people milk). I'm guessing it's a higher concentration in the study and whatnot (I couldn't find a lot of details about it in a quick search), but that could maybe be relevant to what you were experiencing?

Edit: Also just noticed the article seemingly criticises antibiotics for being medium to broad spectrum, and then later praises this drink thing "for broad antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activities." I don't really follow that...

Interesting research, indeed. Probably that explains why I seem to be keeping acne at bay when I was drinking milk without a care in the world. However, I'm still skeptical because the lactoferrin used in the research is most definitely a concentrated strain of milk that is far more potent than the regular milk we drink (even if we drink a litre a day). I guess I was just absorbing all the nutrients in milk that my body (skin) was crying out for. I mean, it sucks to be lactose intolerant or have acne worsen due to milk consumption but I would say I'm a lucky case -- to continue enjoying the creamy goodness of milk.

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 03/03/2016 5:02 pm

On 3/2/2016 at 7:39 PM, DeLovely said:

Here's another article on the subject that may seem more fair:

Cool, thanks for the link :)
I think with all these type of articles or reviews I just always wish the full research was available... or that a more in depth summary was written up by the researchers themselves, that could be openly published (eg not behind a paywall and not just the paper abstract). As it is we are all pretty much at the mercy of things being interpreted by journalists, bloggers, salespeople etc with maybe no scientific training. For instance in the linked above review of the study, the 'groups' are described, but no control group is mentioned. Is that because the blogger didn't think it was important, or was is not mentioned in the available summary, or was there never a control group at all (which would kinda be a red flag)? I find this stuff frustrating
I saw this shared on FB earlier which made me smile :) (I think its from the page 'Mommy PHD' to give appropriate credit)
[Removed media]

MemberMember
(@joyce4)

Posted : 12/11/2017 8:50 am

Yes probiotics are essential during antibiotic therapy to keep the microflora in balance and avoid life threatening infections such as candidiasis.

Sometimes antibiotic-induced dysbiosis (a collective name for disturbances in the composition of the intestinal microbiota that lead to an imbalance between beneficial and harmful bacteria) leads to the prevalence of harmful bacteria, such asClostridium difficile. Taking probiotics and/or prebiotics may have beneficial effects in patients with these disturbances. For example, takingL. rhamnosusor a combination ofB. lactisandS.thermophilus(all three bacterial species are components ofMegaEl-Dena) during antibiotic therapy has been found to reduce the risk of antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
In addition Probiotics are good for enhancing the immune system.
It has been shown thatSome probiotics increase the serum level of the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10.
Research also shows that probiotics also help clear skin from acne
Probiotics along with prebiotics( help the growth of bacteria) have shown better results than probiotics consumed alone.

More scientific facts about Probiotics can be found herehttp://[link removed]

MemberMember
(@hopeful74)

Posted : 02/03/2018 6:20 pm

On 3/2/2016 at 1:02 PM, DeLovely said:

Here's an article I thought you might find interesting, and might find the answers to your questions. Many studies out there actually show taking probiotics (with or without antibiotics) is beneficial for preventing acne. My son is taking minocycline, as well as a probiotic. Never take them together or as the above poster states, the antibiotic will just wipe them out. Wait at least 2 hours after taking antibiotics, and take the probiotic with food, or else stomach acids may destroy the probiotic. Food also creates an ideal environment in the gut for healthy flora to thrive. Maintaining some healthy flora while on antibiotics will help minimize GI issues, as well as slow overgrowth of candida, which can lead to yeast infections or jock itch. GI discomfort and side effects is the number one reason many people don't stick with antibiotics for acne treatment. Probiotics should continue for a few weeks after a course of antibiotics to fully restore healthy gut flora back to normal levels. Hope this helps! |::)
http://vitamedica.com/wellness-blog/probiotics-and-acne-control-what-you-need-to-know/

I know this post is almost a year old, but can you tell me how much Minocycline your son was on and how long he was on it? Also, what probiotic and how much?  Thank you