Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane (isotretinoin)

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 02/29/2016 6:32 pm

I'll be starting accutane March 3rd. My acne is getting worse by the day so I really need to do something about it. I've been waiting about 5 weeks now to start, and so now that I am days away from starting, I feel that I am that much closer to hopefully clearer skin. I know that I likely go through the worse stage with breakouts, but I've been doing that for awhile now. My skin is oily, so hopefully this will lessen that. I'm going to log my journey on here, hopefully get some courage to post some pics so I can share my progress (hopefully). I'll check back in on Thursday after I visit my derm. Please leave me any helpful tips if you would like. I'm 33, I have mostly cystic acne, lots of blackheads and inflamed white heads from time to to time, I've been on pretty much every medication, topical, and antibiotic, and nothing has worked. The breakouts continue. I eat a really clean diet, haven't had dairy in over a year, and I still manage to get cystic acne, and they scar. So here I am doing accutane as a last resort.

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/04/2016 12:00 am

I saw my derm today and was prescribed 40mg of Zenatane. I havn't taken my first pill but I will before I go to bed. Not too much else to report=)

Fairlie liked
MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/04/2016 11:20 am

Hey girl! Glad you got the pills :) One thing I think mentioning is to take the zenatane with a higher fat meal/snack, something with 15-20g of fat -- it helps the medicine get absorbed. Hope you had a successful first night! I am happy to see you are logging your journey as well, and I am happy we can do this together, we are just a few days apart! Are you taking 1 40mg a pill or 2 20mg pills per day? <3 

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/04/2016 3:12 pm

Hey!! Just one 40mg pill a day.....but I was kind of bummed because yesterday when I made my follow up appointment for my next 30 day supply they told me my derm was going to be out of the office that week, and they didn't want me seeing another provider in the office...so I will have to go 5 days without the medication. The nurse said that was fine because there would be plenty medication in my system already, buy I still wanted to be consistent you know. Have you noticed the medication working? It's only been a day for me so I feel/look no different. I'm going to have lettuce tacos tonight with avacado, so lots of good fats;)

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/04/2016 4:24 pm

Gotcha! I too am in the same ordeal, my pills run out March 31st, but since im only taking 1 pill a day right now I'll have a few extra at the end to take at least 1 pill a day. BUT, I know accutane does stay in your system for 6 weeks, so don't worry about missing it for a few days! I've noticed my skin actually get a little oily - more than normal, perhaps the medication is pushing things out. I haven't gotten a breakout or anything just a slight flare up on an old cyst that was injected on the 22nd. I am also fighting a mild gum infection (from brushing too hard) its a horrible habit! So I can't tell if im achy from accutane or the antibiotic (keflex) i am on to clear that up. I made sure I can take both of those at the same time. :) 

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/06/2016 12:25 am

Nothing has changed yet in my skin, still oily, still breaking out. I actually got a nice size cyst on my forehead.... It's on the right side of my forehead so I can kind of cover it with my hair, but it still sucks. I got a smaller one yesterday on my left cheek. Lots of blackheads still and very oily skin. It's like I'm not even on this medication. Lips are fine, hair is still oily, no side effects. I'm not sure when those will kick in, if they even kick in....but there's no progress, just my usual skin breaking out like always. I mean I wasn't expecting a miracle lol, but some dry skin would've been nice, lol. I'm sorry to hear about your gums:( Are they sensitive or do you brush too hard? How are you overall feeling? I just want to feel that the iso. Is working. Patience, I know:)

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/06/2016 9:26 pm

I upped my dosage to two 20mg pills yesterday. Feeling a little naseaus on/off today even after I took it with a high fat meal. So I hope that goes away soon. I also experienced a dizzy spell, but I ate and felt fine a few min later. My skin texture seems to have improved but I'm still feeling oilier than normal, probably the accutane pushing the sebum out. I got one clogged pore on my cheek and my cyst keeps flaring on/off. And your right, patience is key with this medication! My gum infection is almost clear; and yes I just brush too hard. I need to get a sonicare! Lol. How you feeling today?

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/07/2016 1:36 pm

I honestly don't even feel like I'm on accutane. I don't have any side effects ( other then usual break outs ) and this one on my for head is just painful. I think I'm going to cover it in neosporin tonight. I've iced it the last few nights and its not helping, as far as the inflammation. I even took dome IB profen, didnt help. I've never had anything like this before, it's weird. Any slight touch and it hurts. I am about to start my period so I know some of the breakouts I'm experiencing could very well be due to that. My face is oily as well, more so now then ever as well. I haven't moisterized, I continue to spot treat and haven't switched up my regimen. I just don't feel the need to at this point. So really nothing to update as nothings really happening besides the usual. I sure hope things are going a lot better for you.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/07/2016 4:13 pm

Definitely give it some time to build up in your system! I woke up today with some dryness on my skin...(especially in my nose and inside my throat)! Which means there's enough in my body that its starting to take effect. Did your derm let you know that you can take prednisone if your IB gets severe? Hopefully that cysts calms down... I got mine injected today because I can't stand waiting around for them to heal on their own (which mine will take weeks to do so!) so hopefully it goes down soon. Btw, if you have castor oil on hand, try doing a castor oil hot pack on the cyst, put a little bit of the oil on the cyst itself (it doesnt clog pores) and top with a piece of tissue, then make a rice sock and heat it up for 25 seconds until "hot" but not scalding. Apply this to the cyst as often as you can, it'll help the cyst drain internally (and reduce inflammation) and speed up healing! I've done it on a cyst before and it really does help. Are you on Instagram btw? Alot of people document their accutane journey there.

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/07/2016 5:23 pm

I've never even asked my derm. If he would consider injections while on accutane. I'll have to ask. Thank you for the castor oil tip, I've haven't tried that before. I was just putting some ice on it, but its still pretty inflamed. My face is real oily, I had to blot my nose and forehead twice today because I couldn't stand it. Hopefully things start picking up here soon....the weather is warming up a little now so the humidity is in the air which is causing me more oiliness. I don't have Instagram...I probably should create an account but I've never really been on it. With your skin beginning to dry up have you noticed any improvements?

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@tzor)

Posted : 03/07/2016 6:43 pm

I've been taking it for about 3 weeks now, and my facial acne has gone down significantly. The first couple days I saw no results, but during the 2nd week there was a lot of improvement; dry skin, shrinking, etc. Only real side effect is chapped lips. Good luck!

Kimmy5 and CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/07/2016 7:48 pm

A lot of the smaller, little zits and clogged pores seems to be shrinking and/or drying out. My skin isn't noticeably dry per say but much less oily since the weekend. Cortisone injections are definitely possible while on accutane...! Especially so early on in treatment. That may change down the road but my derm didn't mention anything of sort; just that it was okay to do! I think it's normal for the skin to maybe get more oily in the beginning, the sebum and excess oil needs to come out. Although I wish it'd expel from the inside and not out! Lol. That would be a dream! My lips have gotten slightly chapped this afternoon which is funny how things can change so quickly! Hang in there, just a few more days!

MemberMember
(@abby-b)

Posted : 03/08/2016 9:18 am

Hi Kimmy!
I just began acutane claravis 1 week, 1 day ago after MONTHS of waiting to get the drug prescribed to me. My derm told me that the first month or two my skin would actually get worse before it gets better. I'm definitely seeing that happen. I'm breaking out all over my cheeks and it's getting harder to cover with makeup. Trying to hold onto hope, but I know how disheartened you are feeling. I look forward to hearing more about your progress!! I wish you all the best

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/08/2016 4:09 pm

Hi Abby! My derm said the same thing to me....not as if I haven't been breaking out more from all the topicals/antibiotics he's put me for the past several months. The only thing I keep telling myself is this has got to work, its my last resort. There's no turning back now. How is your treatment going? Im still oily as ever...got this cyst on my forehead that's being stubborn. How many mgs are you on?

Hey Cristine!
how are things going? My derm said no to prednisone...I havnt asked about injections yet. Ill get sime pics up this evening. I tried doing it from my phone but i need to do it from a desktop.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/08/2016 4:48 pm

Hey Kimmy! What in the world... why no prednisone? It's a common option for anyone having a bad IB :( sorry to hear he won't budge. Definitely ask about injections. I am doing good today -- no new acne lesions. My cyst is 100% gone now but still very red. Dryness has continued a bit, but not bad at all -- I did notice near my hair line had some dry skin, almost like I got burnt and it's flaking off now. Nothing a little moisturizer can't help though. Lips started getting a little dryer last night, but the bite beauty lip agave masque I have is AMAZING for nighttime and my lips were still covered in the masque this morning... so they were plenty hydrated all night. I can still wear lipstick today :) 

How's your cyst doing? I hope its going down some. I also recommend hydrocolloid bandages for cysts... they help suck out the infection (sounds gross I know!)   https://www.amazon.com/MEDca-Universal-Pimple-Patch-Absorbing/dp/B00KLJ14CS/

MemberMember
(@abby-b)

Posted : 03/08/2016 5:12 pm

Yes... this is absolutely my last resort too. I tried to avoid it for as long as possible (because of the potential side effects), but I am just trusting and believing it HAS to work because nothing else has. Treatment is going okay. I already have naturally dry skin, so the drug is really drying my skin and making it itchy. I've had dry/cracking lips and some nose bleeding. I'm currently on 40mg once a day, but like I said I'm only a week in. My dermatologist mentioned increasing the dosage next month or so. Have you come up with a solution for the cyst on your forehead? Did you normally get cysts before starting acutane?

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/08/2016 5:59 pm

I lie... a new little zit is forming on my chin.... GRR!

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/08/2016 9:42 pm

Hey Cristine! Dang girl, I hate when those ones pop up out of no where, they literally ruin my day...and I know I probably shouldn't let stuff like get to me--but it does, and acne just plain sucks. I asked my derm about prednisone and he said taking it would do me an injustice---not sure what he meant by that. I just didn't argue because he knows best right, and I want to be on his good side=) SO I picked at the cyst, nodule whatever the heck it is....I know I shoudnt have, its like the worst thing you can do, but the pressure was intense and it hurt (still hurts like hell). I was able to get stuff out of it (I know gross, you would think at 33 I would know better, but it was impulsive)...its still there, and it went down a tad, but its still red and super tender. Im trying to dry the sucker out...but theres def. inflammation still in there. Im going to look up those bandages right now! its likely too late to have my derm do anything because I already picked at it. Hey I noticed you were  on spiro...are you still taking it? I was on 100mg, weaned myself down to 25mg. I haven't completely stopped.

Hey Abby! I normally (most frequently) get the cystic acne that is underneath the skin. Its red, doesnt come to a head and scar easily. I usually get them on my chin and cheek area. This one is one my forehead, which is not where I normally break out. Its a lump, and its super tender to the touch. It started off as a small pimple and then in less then 24 hours it looked like a bee sting. The knot is still there, and it just all around hurts.

acne 2.jpg

acne 3.jpg

acne 4.jpg

acne 5.jpg

acne.jpg

CNA7 liked
MemberMember
(@briannarae)

Posted : 03/09/2016 2:04 am

Hello ladies!
My name is Brianna. I'm going to be starting accutane tomorrow and I'm kind of scared. Nobody really supports me going on this drug and the side effects even scare me. My goal is to be able to have clear skin so I can be happy in my own skin and not feel the need to wear makeup 24/7. I'll be starting 40mg once a day. Kimmy- it looks like my skin is quite similar to yours! I'm 20 years old with moderately oily skin. I think I've had some type of acne since I was 10 and I just want it to go away. I've been reading articles and journals of this for the past our freaking myself out. Can I join the accutane adventure club as we journey to clearer and happier skin?

CNA7 and Kimmy5 liked
MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/09/2016 11:40 am

First off, welcome xbrirae! You are more than welcome to join our forum here! :) I also spent a lot of time researching side effects and to be honest, don't read too much into them; I know, hard to do! But more people benefit from accutane than not! Accutane has helped more than 20 million people! Take it a day at a time and just listen to your body, if something seems off - address it. But you never know until you try! So far I am a week + 1 day in and I don't even have dry skin yet! At least drier than my normal. Nor do I have super dry lips (yet!)... I am expecting these things to happen soon but I am prepared. 

Kimmy, your acne is much like mine in the chin area; I don't get acne on my cheeks (maybe a clogged pore here or there) and same for my forehead. Sometimes around my nose I'll get smaller zits but almost always cystic acne on my chin/lower jawline. That new zit that formed yesterday is down by half thanks to the bandages! They work well for me and I hope they do for you. They especially work well on popped zits but obviously popping them is "bad" lol. If you're able to get your hands on a diabetic or acupuncturist style needle (which are amazingly thin), you can prick your zits and apply the bandage; but dont squeeze -- the bandage will suck out a lot of the gunk. I was on 100mg and now down to 50mg, slowly weening off too. If I dont slowly ween off I swell (edema) in my legs --- this happened when I tried to get off of it last year and it took my 7 months to finally get off of it! But when I started breaking out bad again I went back on it until accutane (started back on it in mid January) I went off of it because we were going to start trying for a baby, but now that's on hold :( Today my skin looks really smooth but seems slightly pink and my lips are slightly tingly but not any drier. 

What types of cleansers and moisturizers are you using during your treatment? 

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/09/2016 11:41 am

Hi Brianna of course you can!!:) I'm sorry youre battleing the same dreaded acne. Accutane is def. the last resort for many of us after everything else has been exhausted, and there have been many many success stories for individuals who have been on it. My younger brother was on it and it cleared him up, and he remains clear. My sister in law also was on it and she has clear skin. Everyone is different and will react to it differently, and I can completely understand the fear of it, but in the same senseit could absolutely be the best thing you can do for yourself and your skin. My self esteem is pretty non existent. Maybe I'm shallow but the acne has prevented me from doing a lot of things I once enjoyed. I started on 40mg as well, no side effects yet. I did get a cyst/nodule on my forehead but
i cant say its from the accutane. Keep your head high, we'll get through this!:)

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/09/2016 12:04 pm

Hey Christine!
I enjoyed the spiro because it dried my skin out, but I noticed I was breaking out more on it. I was up to 150mg and it just got worse, esp. On my chin area, so I lowered the dose and still continued to have breakouts. Its just not for me. So Im just going to stay on 25mg until hopefully my skin is under control. I also have a thyroid disease so Im on meds for that, so Im just trying to stay consistent with my same routine so I dont add to the flare up. I actually still use a benzoyl peroxide wash and thayers witch hazel and aloe toner. I was using an oil free wash that cetaphil makes but it did not help. Until I see some sort of dryness happening, I'll continue with this....I don't even need moisturizer at this point. I called my derms. Office today and my derm doesn't have an opening until the 23rd so an injection seems pointless.:(

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/09/2016 12:10 pm

I am a product queen and I really recommend the Eminence Organic Stone Crop line when you start to dry out. But honestly, I've started using it already even though I am not dry yet -- its hydrating but it does not make me super oily/greasy. Their Clear Skin Probiotic line is the best! But can't use it will on accutane because it has S. acid in it. I am not using BP on my skin anymore, but just spot treating that one small zit and a clogged pore on my cheek. My derm advised highly against it, but we gotta choose our own battles sometimes lol. I can't believe your derm cant get you in for a quick 5 min injection! That's crazy talk. I can email my derm and he'll have me come in on his lunch break if need be! Ugh, I want to punch your derm in the face. LOL.

Also, here is my instagram where you can see my photos; lots of scarring on my chin (scroll down to the bottom to see the first few I posted) [Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@kimmy5)

Posted : 03/09/2016 1:04 pm

I would love it if my derm was available like that....everyone has been nice to me there, but there's only two derms in the office and they're always booked. I think the injection process is like a whole 15 seconds right!?! I would literally come first thing in the morning or late in the evening , or like you said at lunch....that's one of the things I don't like is that he's always busy and actually works at other locations. Ive seen some reviews for the Eminence organic stone crop serum...some either said they really liked it or it didn't do anything for them. But anything without perfumes and fragrances I'm willing to try. I'm so ready to start drying out though. I have somewhere to be in the morning and I'm wondering if I should slap a bandaide on my forehead or do my best to cover it in concealer. I cannot wait until I (hopefully) don't have to deal with this crap anymore. I don't have Instagram but I should still be able to view your page:)

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 03/09/2016 1:10 pm

I've worn those small bandages on my face before when I had a really bad cyst; if anyone asks, I just tell them I had a potential cancerous spot removed LOL. My dad has had a few spots removed from his face and wears bandages after, so why not! :D I dont use the Eminence Stone Crop Serum (yet), just the Gel Wash, Hydrating Gel, and Moisturizer. They have a rose line too that is suppose to be good to use while on accutane too, but I chose Stone Crop since I know I dont have a reaction to it. I got this tube Eminence Organic Skin Care Stone Crop Collection Tube, plus 15% off if you sign up for the derm store newsletter. I didnt want to buy a whole jar of everything if it wasn't going to work while on accutane. 

You still should be able to see my instagram page even if you dont have one! <3