Notifications
Clear all

Did Accutane produce rosacea?

MemberMember
(@raf97)

Posted : 02/27/2016 1:23 pm

Hey! I'm on accutane since 5 months ago and I still have to take the pills for at least another month. However, by month 3 I started having strange episodes on my face. At one point of the day my cheecks start to be red and I feel a burn sensation. This situation normally lasts 1 hour and half, more and less. It happens at least once a day, but very often it happens more times. I don't know if it is rosacea, I don't get anymore pimples and I don't have any other side effect, but this sucks and it's terrible to see (moreover, I also have hyperpigmentation on my cheeks and when my skin starts to be red it seems horrible!!) What is it? How can I defeat it? Could accutane produce this situation?

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 02/28/2016 4:48 am

Well, accutane has been used in treatment of Roscea, and many have had success of treating their disease with this drug due to its "anti inflammatory properties".

However, I have heard of a girl who had taken a course of accutane, and afterwards would develop bright red sweaty hands while playing soccer, so much so that she had to wear cotton gloves because of the bright redness it would bring about, people would comment on it and it was very noticeable. It's not exactly roscea, but an odd side effect nonetheless.

So, It is possible.

An excerpt from a roscea forum:

"Following insome insightful comments from a well known and respected member of the online rosacea community, Rick.

The use of low doses of accutane to treat rosacea is a little controversial; firstly the drug is strictly controlled because of its negative side effects and secondly because high doses of accutane can worsen or induce rosacea like symptoms in some patients."