Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Convinceme

Does Milk IMPROVE Your Acne?

Recommended Posts

We've heard enough that milk triggers acne (in some people) and yeah, why not. If it does, eliminate it and we're happy that your acne can be switched off just like that. Enough of that...

Now, I've been reading how milk does not affect some individuals and they have even reported that after abstaining from milk for a period of time, re-introducing it into their diet actually improves their skin condition. Do you think that's true?

Personally, I have been avoiding milk on and off for as long as I remember and the longest stretch was like 6 months. Nothing. No improvement whatsoever. However, when I was drinking milk (along with eating fried food) without a care in the world, my skin was relatively clear and almost blemish free. So, what gives?

Damn the irrational fear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Convinceme said:

We've heard enough that milk triggers acne (in some people) and yeah, why not. If it does, eliminate it and we're happy that your acne can be switched off just like that. Enough of that...

Now, I've been reading how milk does not affect some individuals and they have even reported that after abstaining from milk for a period of time, re-introducing it into their diet actually improves their skin condition. Do you think that's true?

Personally, I have been avoiding milk on and off for as long as I remember and the longest stretch was like 6 months. Nothing. No improvement whatsoever. However, when I was drinking milk (along with eating fried food) without a care in the world, my skin was relatively clear and almost blemish free. So, what gives?

Damn the irrational fear.

Milk has hormones in it from the mother cow to feed her baby, so perhaps you are deficient in some particular hormone and thats why it helped you ???? Thats the only explanation i can think of.
I never drank much milk because it upset my stomach - possibly a bit lactose intolerent, but i used to eat yogurt, cheese etc. I never really noticed cutting dairy made any difference to my skin. It seems to be sugars that effect my skin the most. I'd still rather stay off dairy though because of the hormones and links of casein to causing cancer. My mother had breast cancer so i have become really paranoid about dairy.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's probably nutrients or something that you are getting in milk that isn't usually in your diet. That's all I can think of.

Dairy causes acne for most people.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Remi47 said:
There's probably nutrients or something that you are getting in milk that isn't usually in your diet. That's all I can think of.

Dairy causes acne for most people.

You're missing the point. You said 'most people'. Apparently, I'm not 'most' people.
4 hours ago, Geekgirl13 said:
Milk has hormones in it from the mother cow to feed her baby, so perhaps you are deficient in some particular hormone and thats why it helped you ???? Thats the only explanation i can think of.
I never drank much milk because it upset my stomach - possibly a bit lactose intolerent, but i used to eat yogurt, cheese etc. I never really noticed cutting dairy made any difference to my skin. It seems to be sugars that effect my skin the most. I'd still rather stay off dairy though because of the hormones and links of casein to causing cancer. My mother had breast cancer so i have become really paranoid about dairy.

Wow, I'm envious of you, You just switched off your acne like that. Milk and sugar. None of those did anything to me.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow you must be so special

Going against tonnes of qualified individuals' research and evidence

Keep drinking milk then? What's the point of making a thread if your just going to be stubborn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Remi47 said:

Wow you must be so special

Going against tonnes of qualified individuals' research and evidence

Keep drinking milk then? What's the point of making a thread if your just going to be stubborn


My point was to find similar people who are resistant to milk and its acne-causing properties. From there, maybe we can work out a common solution to tackle the acne since we are already similar on that level. It's a bit far-fetched but worth a try.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think milk may exacerbate acne in SOME people. But I would hardly classify it as a cure. Truthfully, I think it's just a coincidence that your acne cleared when you were eating poorly. I'm a pretty big skeptic when it comes to diet and acne. There isn't a substantial amount of evidence that would give me any reason to change my diet around in an effort to clear my skin.

And I can tell you, that I have tried every diet known to man, and it never made one bit of difference. I'd save yourself the stress and try more consistently backed treatments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SendMeAngels said:

I think milk may exacerbate acne in SOME people. But I would hardly classify it as a cure. Truthfully, I think it's just a coincidence that your acne cleared when you were eating poorly. I'm a pretty big skeptic when it comes to diet and acne. There isn't a substantial amount of evidence that would give me any reason to change my diet around in an effort to clear my skin.

And I can tell you, that I have tried every diet known to man, and it never made one bit of difference. I'd save yourself the stress and try more consistently backed treatments.


True that! I tried eliminating gluten, grains, citrus fruits, milk, and a whole host of you-name-its but my condition remained the same. In fact, I felt weaker and more depressed that I was actually depriving myself of food that is otherwise perfectly edible. It's not sewage or crude oil that we're talking about here...food is life.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From my limited scientific understanding, apart from doing a PUBMED search, I personally get outbreaks from drinking too much milk. After reading a few articles, i replaced my mild with soy (yuks), but my acne did improve. It didn't go away, but there was a noticeable difference. I think like everything else in medicine some people will be 'dairy' sensitive, much like there are people who have 'gluten sensitive' acne. The real way to prove or disprove whether you are sensitive or not is to do a trial. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have also noticed that my acne has gotten better during periods that i was eating poorly (dairy included) but i  think its probably due to lack of stress cus during these times i didnt need to stress about every single meal i was eating. So think of it. Stress is an important factor when it comes to acne. Were you really stressed when you cutted those foods ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When i drink milk or eat anything with cheese, I can certainly see that my skin becomes a lot more oily. It definitely does not do good for my skin. Have tried avoiding as much as possible and can gladly say its a great decision I've made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy crap, not me!

On 2/25/2016 at 4:41 PM, Geekgirl13 said:
Milk has hormones in it from the mother cow to feed her baby, so perhaps you are deficient in some particular hormone and thats why it helped you ???? Thats the only explanation i can think of.
I never drank much milk because it upset my stomach - possibly a bit lactose intolerent, but i used to eat yogurt, cheese etc. I never really noticed cutting dairy made any difference to my skin. It seems to be sugars that effect my skin the most. I'd still rather stay off dairy though because of the hormones and links of casein to causing cancer. My mother had breast cancer so i have become really paranoid about dairy.oncur.
Even if it doesnt break you out dairy is not good for you. So e people smoke and dont seem to suffer from it but its not good forvthem!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To keep your skin clear, it's recommended to limit or avoid dairy products including cheese, cow's milk, ice cream, and etc. Those that are lactose intolerant, milk can cause bad digestion which isn't good when trying to maintain clear skin. Milk has hormones in it which can cause hormonal imbalance which can lead to hormonal acne. Dairy products are not recommended if you have acne. It's better to use alternative milks like almond milk, coconut milk, and other nut milks.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×