Notifications
Clear all

Hyper pigmentation problem causing self consciousness

MemberMember
(@literarycosmo)

Posted : 02/25/2016 9:33 pm

Currently I am on a regimen of Adapalene .3% every morning after I wash my face with Neutrogena gentle sensitive skin face wash. Then i pat dry and put on Neutrogena sensitive skin moisturizer. I am taking 100 mg doxycycline hyclate twice a day. At night i wash my face with the same wash and pat dry. Then i put on Clindamycin, Benzoyl Peroxide: Topical gel(1.2-5%). Then i add the same moisturizer. My acne has lessened, but i am wondering what to do for my post inflammatory hyper pigmentation. I usually wear sunscreen, even in the winter. I feel as though it is not making any progress. Thank you for your time and consideration. 

hp1.jpg

hp2.JPG

hp3.JPG

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/25/2016 11:41 pm

I totally feel you but because my skin is much fairer than yours (my capillaries can be faintly seen from beneath), the pigmentation caused by acne are much more obvious. It gives the impression that I have lots of acne but I don't. They're just pigmentation. What I suggest is a gentle exfoliation (not those scrubby types) that contains AHA. It worked for me in the past so I'm going to try it again.

By the way, quite a lot of those 'red marks' that you have don't look like pigmentation because some of them are actually raised and have a white pus-filled head. Are they still active acne?

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 1:23 am

Would it be possible to drop the benzoyl peroxide out of your routine? It makes PIH last longer, much longer (See: The American Academy of Dermatology's comments on the subject, google.). I'd experiment with salicylic acid products. OR -You can ask your dermdoc/internet shop for an Azelaic acid product (Typically prescribed for acne so not an unusual request), which is a tyrosinase inhibitor (reduces synthesis of melanin, refer to below for why this is a good thing)

You can keep going with the Adapa. You're already doing it but make sure you wear a high spf facial sunscreen every day without exception. A simplified explaination of why this needs to be done is: Red marks are concentrated melanin, and your skin produces melanin upon sun exposure.

Your regimine is a little strange - Benzoyl peroxide deactivates most retinoids (which Adapa is), even though they're at opposite ends of the day, it must ruin your skins vitamin A concentration, which could theoretically make you scar more at worst, and reduce the Adapa's effectiveness at best.

Anything you can do do speed up cell turnover will also help you out a bunch here, glycolic peels (start light please), Retin-A, even manual exfoliation to a degree.

Go vBeam if you have the coin, though.

Nope.

MemberMember
(@literarycosmo)

Posted : 02/26/2016 9:31 am

Thank you so much for your response! I'm on BP because I've had a recent outbreak of cystic acne which caused the PIH. I think my derm wanted to stop the outbreak completely before I started focusing on PIH. And if I take vitamin a orally do you think that will help? Do you know of any place I can get glycolic peels/what kind?

MemberMember
(@literarycosmo)

Posted : 02/26/2016 9:53 am

Also, yes I still have some active acne. Should I not start the glycolic peels until it's all gone? And I will try to pick up some exfoliate with AHA today, do you know of any good brand that actually works?

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 11:09 am

1 hour ago, LiteraryCosmo said:

Thank you so much for your response! I'm on BP because I've had a recent outbreak of cystic acne which caused the PIH. I think my derm wanted to stop the outbreak completely before I started focusing on PIH. And if I take vitamin a orally do you think that will help? Do you know of any place I can get glycolic peels/what kind?

I'm gonna have to backpedal, I'm afraid *shame*

Your skins vitamin A concentration from the adapelene w/ BP will be fine. Citation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9990414

The point about BP making PIH last longer still stands, though.

I don't have any recommendations for peel brands because I make my own, but anything you get should be pretty standardised. But while you still have active acne, Salicylic peels are a good move as they dissolve oil (unclogging pores) and speed up cell turnover. Two birds with one stone.

*For the benefit of anyone reading, retinoids are vimaters of VitA or are chemically related. Oral Vitamin A is not a substitute for topical retinoids, nor vice versa

MemberMember
(@literarycosmo)

Posted : 02/28/2016 10:42 pm

On February 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Nope.avi said:

I'm gonna have to backpedal, I'm afraid *shame*

Your skins vitamin A concentration from the adapelene w/ BP will be fine. Citation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9990414

The point about BP making PIH last longer still stands, though.

I don't have any recommendations for peel brands because I make my own, but anything you get should be pretty standardised. But while you still have active acne, Salicylic peels are a good move as they dissolve oil (unclogging pores) and speed up cell turnover. Two birds with one stone.

*For the benefit of anyone reading, retinoids are vimaters of VitA or are chemically related. Oral Vitamin A is not a substitute for topical retinoids, nor vice versa

Hi i was also wondering, do you think if i use this product that it will help or harm my skin? And judging by the picture do you think my PIH will leave scars? I'm very nervous about that

https://thrivemarket.com/acure-organics-argan-stem-cell-chlorella-growth-factor-brightening-facial-scrub?fee=1&fep=9&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=Default%20Category%2CBeauty%2C%20Bath%20%26%20Body%20%3E%20Facial%20Care%20%3E%20Scrubs%20%26%20Exfoliants%2CSelects%2CSelects%20%3E%20Top%20Brands%2CSelects%20%3E%20Best%20Sellers&utm_content=854049002064-Argan%20Stem%20Cell%20%26%20Chlorella%20Growth%20Factor%20Brightening%20Facial%20Scrub&gclid=CNmx7emGnMsCFVBbhgodXY0P8Q

MemberMember
(@bjcool911)

Posted : 03/14/2019 10:18 am

With my acne problem, I found that using all natural products for washing and skin care were the solution. Maybe it's just me, but making sure all the products you are using for skin care are all natural is essential for finally getting rid of acne. Urth Market has a great selection of all natural skin care products available online

MemberMember
(@mj117)

Posted : 03/17/2019 12:18 am

You could try upgrading to a stronger retinoid, but with the regimen you are on, it could be too much for your skin. I have heard adapolene, because it is the weakest retinoid, does not work particularly well in clearing hyperpigmentation. Definitely discuss your concerns with your doctor, and remember everything takes time to work! Good luck :)