Notifications
Clear all

Natural Cleansing Methods?

MemberMember
(@fantasized)

Posted : 02/23/2016 3:58 pm

16, just recently tried moisturizing with hemp oil (I have sensitive, oily skin) and its been a week now. My face has broken out so much and I'm finding it difficult to convince myself 'its just purging'. I'm using Dr organics dead sea mineral cleanser in the mornings and evenings but I'm not sure if it's doing much for my skin.

Shouldi continue with the hemp oil ir abandon? (Ive gotten cysts since using it:() and am considering switching to just raw honey for cleansing. What method of action should i take??? Any suggestions??

MemberMember
(@norwegianbeauty29)

Posted : 02/25/2016 10:25 am

Hemp oil is great used as a moisturiser for oily skin, but do you know whether it's the cleanser or moisturiser that is breaking you out? I would try only using the face wash for a week or two to see if your face clears up. I'm not sure if the oil is the culprit due to it having a rating of a 1 on the comedogenic website. I would try using either jojoba or grapeseed oil to moisturise.

MemberMember
(@natureman1000)

Posted : 02/25/2016 2:51 pm

On 2/23/2016 at 3:58 PM, FantAsized said:

16, just recently tried moisturizing with hemp oil (I have sensitive, oily skin) and its been a week now. My face has broken out so much and I'm finding it difficult to convince myself 'its just purging'. I'm using Dr organics dead sea mineral cleanser in the mornings and evenings but I'm not sure if it's doing much for my skin.

Shouldi continue with the hemp oil ir abandon? (Ive gotten cysts since using it:() and am considering switching to just raw honey for cleansing. What method of action should i take??? Any suggestions??

I would stop using the hemp oil, it may be irritating your skin. Look for another natural oil to use. My current skin cleansing method is Burt's Bee's exfoliating skin scrub, Shea Moisture bar soap, and Oxygenated olive oil. When I have acne breakouts, I apply Burt's Bees Blemish stick. I only use wash cloths on my face.

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/25/2016 8:52 pm

30 minutes ago, Chloe123 said:

ditch the hemp oil. My biggest mistake when it came to skincare was convincing myself that it was all 'normal' and that purging takes months and it'll get better. NOPE. unless you're using a retinol or exfoliant, you should not be purging badly to the point of getting cysts. Jojoba oil is very well tolerated, as is oatmeal and aloe vera. Honey can be good, however alot of people are prone to allergic reactions.

I fully agree. 120%. Make that 1200%. Make that all sorts of oil including castor oil, olive oil and jojoba oil. Just because they smell good, taste good and look good doesn't mean they can be applied on your face nilly-willy. I had a damn experience with it and it resulted in a cysts and clogged pores. Not everyone is suitable for the oil cleansing method. Read about my experience here if you aren't convinced:

********************************************************************************************

Seriously guys, this is why random skincare fads and trends like the OCM (oil cleansing method) destroy people, along with dabbing lemon juice on the skin and using egg white as a mask, etc. My acne wasn't that bad in the past but only recently, I started to use a cleanser that contains castor oil as one of its active ingredients because I heard that oil can pull oil out from the skin and does a good job swiping away the dirt on the surface. The first few washes were, well, I can't even use the word 'good'. It just felt 'okay' (the only noticeable difference was a more thorough clean than the Cetaphil that I was using prior to this, that's all).

After a week or so, I realised that cystic acne started to appear on my chin, something that has never happened in my life. All I got previously were pustules with some white liquid that would come and go without leaving a mark. These cysts were horrible and they left pigmentation; again, something that has never happened to me no matter how bad my pustules were. It's just terrible. Now, I can actually see and feel that my pores are clogged. There are also a few persistent blackheads on my cheek that resulted from this OCM. It's terrible.

I wish I have never read all the 'rave reviews' on OCM. I wish I never had.

It's just not for everyone. And one more thing, the oil when it gets to the eyes, it stings. The texture is too gooey and just doesn't feel right on the skin. As soon as I had that feeling, I thought "who would put this gunk on their face"? I'm not sure if the people giving rave reviews on OCM have any hidden vested interested in selling the oil or the method but I don't know, it's just too terrible.

Do it at your own risk. The texture of this gunk is not meant to be smeared on your face. Go think about it. I can only hope that more people are responsible about what they write, especially when it comes to trends and fads like the the OCM. Put a disclaimer or something and go into detail about your skin condition as to what it was like before using this method. Better yet, post some photos. 'Improvements' can be deceiving.

Some people get okayish results from the initial usage and rave about it on forums like these but may break out later and never bothered to post an update. Seriously, guys.

MemberMember
(@norwegianbeauty29)

Posted : 02/25/2016 10:31 pm

I have heard amazing things about using raw honey as a facial cleanser. It's more expensive, but well worth it. I am actually going to start using honey tomorrow not only as a face wash, but as a face mask and shampoo. My long term goal is to switch all my family's hygiene products to all natural ones including my makeup as well. Even my household cleaners will be natural and nontoxic. This is what got me to try the OCM in the first place. Good luck everyone!

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 02/26/2016 9:29 pm

On 2/26/2016 at 5:52 PM, Convinceme said:
Do it at your own risk. The texture of this gunk is not meant to be smeared on your face. Go think about it. I can only hope that more people are responsible about what they write, especially when it comes to trends and fads like the the OCM. Put a disclaimer or something and go into detail about your skin condition as to what it was like before using this method. Better yet, post some photos. 'Improvements' can be deceiving.

I'm an "acne veteran" who recommends the OCM and thought I'd weigh in for what it's worth. If someone comes to me with concerns about dry skin and a busy schedule I find it can be a great "all-in-one" routine. It takes my makeup and other gunk off gently, and it also provides just the right amount of moisture so that I don't even need to moisturize.But I'm very particular with it.

Rather than swear against ALL oils as terrible ideas and fads, I only use Argan oil, which is given a comedogenicity rating of "0." I certainly have tried others and agree that many give poor results and further clog pores. But I'm glad I didn't give up before Argan. Anyway, that's my opinion as someone who's neither into the naturalistic fallacy that "all natural products are better" or the idea that all DIY skin care routines are bogus.

I sit here comfortably in the middle. It's always a good idea to stay away from slathering anything on your face that has a high comedogenic rating, BUT what you put ON TOP OF your skin isn't the whole picture either.

What took me hundreds of products and hundreds of dollars to learn is that you could have the best acne-clearing routine EVER and still get breakouts because of internal problems like inflammation and hormones.

PS Honey (raw, pasteurized, manuka, whatever I'm cheap) has worked wonderfully for me as a facial cleanser too!

MemberMember
(@user5000)

Posted : 02/27/2016 12:22 pm

Never let hot water near your face. Only wash your face, even in the shower, with cold water. Try it and let me know if it stops new spots emerging. It worked for me pretty much straight away.

MemberMember
(@fantasized)

Posted : 02/27/2016 3:50 pm

On 25/02/2016 at 3:25 PM, Norwegianbeauty29 said:

Hemp oil is great used as a moisturiser for oily skin, but do you know whether it's the cleanser or moisturiser that is breaking you out? I would try only using the face wash for a week or two to see if your face clears up. I'm not sure if the oil is the culprit due to it having a rating of a 1 on the comedogenic website. I would try using either jojoba or grapeseed oil to moisturise.

I've used the cleanser for about 6 months now, and my skin hasn't ever been as now so I don't think that was the problem... I've ditched the oil and opted for the boots simply sensitive protection moisturiser.. it seems to be doing a better job, and my cysts and scarring are starting to fade (i think). However, it does make me quite oily- I'd rather that than more red bumps though! Ill think ill give oils a break for now but thanks for the advice:)

On 25/02/2016 at 7:51 PM, Natureman1000 said:
On 23/02/2016 at 8:58 PM, FantAsized said:

I would stop using the hemp oil, it may be irritating your skin. Look for another natural oil to use. My current skin cleansing method is Burt's Bee's exfoliating skin scrub, Shea Moisture bar soap, and Oxygenated olive oil. When I have acne breakouts, I apply Burt's Bees Blemish stick. I only use wash cloths on my face.

Have done, and reaping the benefits! The usual indication that something is irritating my skin is generally redness, but the hemp oil slipped under my radar because my skin tone didnt seem to be affected when using it... thanks for mentioning your routine, I'll keep an eye out for those products:)

MemberMember
(@fantasized)

Posted : 02/27/2016 4:09 pm

3 hours ago, user5000 said:

Never let hot water near your face. Only wash your face, even in the shower, with cold water. Try it and let me know if it stops new spots emerging. It worked for me pretty much straight away.

ill give it a go, thanks:)

On 26/02/2016 at 3:31 AM, Norwegianbeauty29 said:

I have heard amazing things about using raw honey as a facial cleanser. It's more expensive, but well worth it. I am actually going to start using honey tomorrow not only as a face wash, but as a face mask and shampoo. My long term goal is to switch all my family's hygiene products to all natural ones including my makeup as well. Even my household cleaners will be natural and nontoxic. This is what got me to try the OCM in the first place. Good luck everyone!

Sounds like a great idea! My skin always goes blotchy when im cleaning the bathroom with a load of chemicals, so going au natural is probably a smart move for someone with sensitive skin:)

MemberMember
(@natureman1000)

Posted : 03/04/2016 4:42 pm

On 2/27/2016 at 3:50 PM, FantAsized said:
I've used the cleanser for about 6 months now, and my skin hasn't ever been as now so I don't think that was the problem... I've ditched the oil and opted for the boots simply sensitive protection moisturiser.. it seems to be doing a better job, and my cysts and scarring are starting to fade (i think). However, it does make me quite oily- I'd rather that than more red bumps though! Ill think ill give oils a break for now but thanks for the advice:) Have done, and reaping the benefits! The usual indication that something is irritating my skin is generally redness, but the hemp oil slipped under my radar because my skin tone didnt seem to be affected when using it... thanks for mentioning your routine, I'll keep an eye out for those products:)

Burt's Bees is an easy product to find. I could provide you links if you're interested.