Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide Causing Scarring!?

MemberMember
(@kevin23)

Posted : 02/22/2016 10:44 pm

Hello!
A bit of backstory:
I am a 20 year old male who started getting acne around 18. For the most part it has been mild to moderate.

I am currently 1 month into the acne.org regimen (following meticulously) and just getting over a particularly large breakout/purge.

Previously I have never experienced any scarring from acne. However after starting the regimen it seems like my skin is more prone to scarring as I have developed 2 shallow rolling scars on my chin. I am wondering if using BP has anything to do with this.

Any insight on preventing more scarring and lessening the 2 scars would be awesome.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 2:01 am

Benzoyl peroxide is well documented to do this it is very drying on the skin and inhibitory to the healing process, ergo, scarring.

Further noting itmake PIH (red marks) last longer.

MemberMember
(@sfnathan80)

Posted : 02/26/2016 12:10 pm

10 hours ago, Nope.avi said:

Benzoyl peroxide is well documented to do this it is very drying on the skin and inhibitory to the healing process, ergo, scarring.

Cite sources for Benzoyl Peroxide inhibiting healing, causing scarring and delaying red marks from fading.

10 hours ago, Nope.avi said:

Cite sources for Benzoyl Peroxide inhibiting healing, causing scarring and delaying red marks from fading.

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 12:28 pm

14 minutes ago, sfnathan80 said:

PIH/Red Marks: http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/download.php?doi=10.1080/000155598441954

Inhibition of healing (and thus an increased tendency to scar) falls down to the fact that is is extremely drying to the skin. Studies haven't been performed so this is evidence from anecdotes. (Whoops!)

MemberMember
(@sfnathan80)

Posted : 02/26/2016 1:11 pm

43 minutes ago, Nope.avi said:
PIH/Red Marks: http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/download.php?doi=10.1080/000155598441954

Inhibition of healing (and thus an increased tendency to scar) falls down to the fact that is is extremely drying to the skin. Studies haven't been performed so this is evidence from anecdotes. (Whoops!)

This study talks about 2 cases of highly unusual hyperpigmentation of dark skinned individuals after having skin irritated by benzoyl peroxide use. I don't think this indicates that BP prolongs red marks left by acne.

Concerns over skin drying from BP use should be addressed with moisturizing after BP but I do not believe its fair to claim that BP causes scars.

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 3:38 pm

2 hours ago, sfnathan80 said:
This study talks about 2 cases of highly unusual hyperpigmentation of dark skinned individuals after having skin irritated by benzoyl peroxide use. I don't think this indicates that BP prolongs red marks left by acne.

Concerns over skin drying from BP use should be addressed with moisturizing after BP but I do not believe its fair to claim that BP causes scars.

Okay, for now, I'll concede that you are right, and I'm relying on anecdotes when I shouldn't be. I do believe I've read this in a study before and will update if and when I find it.

Til then, keep up asking for citations - it is a good thing that this forum needs more of.

Nope

MemberMember
(@russel)

Posted : 02/27/2016 1:47 am

Hey, just letting you guys know that, for me at least, BP definitely caused indented scarring. Before I started using BP, the scars from my cystic acne would be a little depressed and hyperpigmented, but they would always level out again and return to normal skin color. While I was using it, even little zits would cause indentations that still haven't leveled out. Since I've stopped using it, the vast majority of new scars level out after a few weeks. I know its still anecdotal, but just thought I'd share my personal experience.

MemberMember
(@kevin23)

Posted : 02/27/2016 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies!

@Russel, was BP ultimately not effective for you? I've been using it for a month now, and am still breaking out :/

MemberMember
(@russel)

Posted : 02/28/2016 3:42 am

So I used it for roughly 10 months, and for about the first 2 months I was still breaking out pretty bad. After that I started to clear up and would get maybe one new zit a week. Unfortunately, like I said before, I slowly realized that every zit was leaving a scar so I stopped and decided to go on Accutane.

MemberMember
(@scarredlet)

Posted : 05/22/2016 12:30 pm

i went to a dermatologist before and he said that the longer the pimple stays on your face, it can lead to scarring.

now, i am with a different dermatologist who prescribed benzoyl peroxide as spot treatments and all the spots i put it on had scarring. i noticed that it dries pimples and would make the dried up pimple stay longer. i have a lot of pits now. and i stopped using BP for a few days as spot treatment. I mean, what s the point if it ends up scarring when using it. (I would rather have dark spots tan pitted scars.)

I know that a lot of people say pricking is bad and don't do it, but I have never had a scar due to pricking. As long as I follow the correct way of doing it.

So for me, YES, it results to scarring because pimple stays longer. (this is my opinion only)

If you have other suggestions for spot treatments, please let me know.

PS I dont know if concentration matters, but I am using 5% of the Benzac brand.

MemberMember
(@guevarabeats)

Posted : 05/22/2016 9:46 pm

9 hours ago, scarredlet said:

i went to a dermatologist before and he said that the longer the pimple stays on your face, it can lead to scarring.

now, i am with a different dermatologist who prescribed benzoyl peroxide as spot treatments and all the spots i put it on had scarring. i noticed that it dries pimples and would make the dried up pimple stay longer. i have a lot of pits now. and i stopped using BP for a few days as spot treatment. I mean, what s the point if it ends up scarring when using it. (I would rather have dark spots tan pitted scars.)

I know that a lot of people say pricking is bad and don't do it, but I have never had a scar due to pricking. As long as I follow the correct way of doing it.

So for me, YES, it results to scarring because pimple stays longer. (this is my opinion only)

If you have other suggestions for spot treatments, please let me know.

PS I dont know if concentration matters, but I am using 5% of the Benzac brand.

Were the breakouts big in size? I'm talking about the ones that cause pits