Notifications
Clear all

Microneedling and glycolic acid on the same day. Has anyone tried it?

MemberMember
(@rosehips)

Posted : 02/22/2016 9:25 am

I just found this study online, in which the participants' scars were treated with microneedling and glycolic peels, both performed on the same day. There was significant improvement. I am curious to find out if anyone has ever tried this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22151943

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 2:21 am

The study mentioned Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, which glycolic helps, and would therefore factor into, and improve the results of that group. Which is what it actually concludes: "There was also improvement in skin texture, reduction in postacne pigmentation in the second group."

The improvement of scar results came from needling alone, and they paired both groups to give this conclusion:Based on the objective scoring and its statistical analysis, there was significant improvement in superficial and moderately deep scars (grade 1-3).

It doesnt say the needling and peel group had them done on the same day either.

Kudos for actually looking at studies though.

n.b. Don't do needling and glycolic peels on the same day.

MemberMember
(@guevarabeats)

Posted : 02/26/2016 8:32 am

I apply retin A after I needle is this a good idea?

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 10:41 am

1 hour ago, GuevaraBeats said:

I apply retin A after I needle is this a good idea?

Depends. Some brands contain alcohol, which will inhibit healing, others don't. Applying after needling (And the week leading up to your session) ihs a good idea if it doesn't contain alcohol. There are gentler compounds to apply after like Infadolan (and im shilling again) which is retinyl acetate, not acid, the tretinoin (Retinoic acid) in Retin A which you might want to consider if Retin-A is too irritating for you.

As an aside, application of a homemade vitamin C serum (5-20%) leading up to, and after your needling, will improve your results, owing to increased VitC concentration in the skin *

*:Citation here

MemberMember
(@paul-b)

Posted : 02/26/2016 10:59 am

14 minutes ago, Nope.avi said:
Depends. Some brands contain alcohol, which will inhibit healing, others don't. Applying after needling (And the week leading up to your session) ihs a good idea if it doesn't contain alcohol. There are gentler compounds to apply after like Infadolan (and im shilling again) which is retinyl acetate, not acid, the tretinoin (Retinoic acid) in Retin A which you might want to consider if Retin-A is too irritating for you.

As an aside, application of a homemade vitamin C serum (5-20%) leading up to, and after your needling, will improve your results, owing to increased VitC concentration in the skin *

*:Citation here

Are there any particular benefits of using the home-made serum over this one for example?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OZ-Naturals-Hyaluronic-Neutralizing-Satisfaction/dp/B00DPE9EQO

I just so happen to have this one!

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/26/2016 11:25 am

13 minutes ago, Paul B said:
Are there any particular benefits of using the home-made serum over this one for example?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OZ-Naturals-Hyaluronic-Neutralizing-Satisfaction/dp/B00DPE9EQO

I just so happen to have this one!

Hi

Generally the issue is L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) oxidises very quickly in the presence of light, oxygen and temperature. A tell-tale sign it's oxidised and thus useless is it's turned a brown-ish or redish colour, rather than being clear or.. like champagne.

Your product contains a Vitamin C derivative (sodium ascorbyl phosphate) which is more stable than L-A A, however, and I cannot be bothered to dig up the journals right now L-Ascorbic Acid is the most effective form of vitamin C in skincare. But due to its instability it must be made at home in small batches and refrigerated in an opaque container. It just cannot be transported across the globe once i ts prepared. (Though some still do, and sell it. Read the label, kids!)

MemberMember
(@guevarabeats)

Posted : 02/27/2016 4:16 am

Good info man really apperciate it.

MemberMember
(@rosehips)

Posted : 03/01/2016 6:59 am

On 2/26/2016 at 8:21 AM, Nope.avi said:

It doesnt say the needling and peel group had them done on the same day either.

Thank you so much for your response! I've pretty much tried everything trying to get rid of this things, and these studies gave me some hope!
Sorry, I must've posted the wrong link. I had so many tabs open, trying to research this. But this study gives more information and photos: http://www.odermatol.com/odermatology/20151/4.Zonun-Zonunsanga.pdf

What do you think?

MemberMember
(@de-rerum-natura)

Posted : 03/09/2016 2:03 am

Its good that you guys mentioned the Dermaroller + TCA peel protocol because im using this same protocol on my stretch marks
i did around 6 dermarollers sessions followed by retin A on my stretch marks, i noticed a improvement not much, so i decided to move for something stronger
i bought 30% TCA peel and i decided to roll with 2,0mm roller and when the stretch marks became red and raised i apply the tca and wait til frost, some of the stretch marks need more than 1 layer of tca to frost.
i did it only on the stretch marks on my back and the result was very good the stretch marks on my back are almost disapperaring
last week i repeated the process but now my mom helped me because i wasnt applying the tca 100% right in some areas because it was on my back and its hard to do it alone looking to the mirror lol
the scabs didnt felt yet in two weeks i can make an update here to say how is going
i was doing this tottaly on my intuiton i thought that maybe it couldnt be a good idea but i knew dermaroller itself will not do the job so i needed to do something more agressive
well, and i dont have the balls to do it on my face yet