Notifications
Clear all

29 Female 1st Time on Accutane: My Log

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/19/2016 1:56 pm

I™ve relied on the message boards on this website for years, so it™s finally time to start contributing. I started Accutane this Wednesday, and I™ll be charting my journey here.  I™m interested in tracking the side effects I experience and mapping them onto what I ate that day, if I exercised, what I was doing, etc.  I will also be posting some progress pictures.

About my history: I™m 29, female, and have had acne consistently since I was 18.  I actually didn™t get it when all my peers were breaking out in early high school, and I just figured that I had lucked out.  Well apparently mine was just saving up for adulthood, when it unleashed across my cheeks, forehead and chin.  11 years later, I™m breaking out almost entirely on my back, chest, chin and jawline and it shows no signs of stopping.  In fact, it™s been getting worse for the last year.  More on that in a minute.

Here™s a list of things I™ve tried, in no particular order or success rate, over the past 11 years:

• ·         Regular facial cleansers

• ·         $70 facial cleanser + $50 exfoliator for acne prone skin (Kate Somerville)

• ·         Applying tea tree oil to my problem areas

• ·         Face masks: sulphur, charcoal, aloe

• ·         Medications: doxycycline, minocycline, benzoyl peroxide (gel)

• ·         Proactiv, a few times

• ·         Changing my pillowcases every few nights

• ·         Drinking water with lemon every day

• ·         Drinking green tea regularly

• ·         I basically don™t drink pop or sugary drinks. It™s water, coffee or tea for me

• ·         Not touching my damn face (obvs)

• ·         Using non-comodogenic makeup, and using it only when I leave the house, taking it off the minute I get home

• ·         Facial packages: IPL, extractions, glycolic peels, and probably some others that I™m forgetting

• ·         Birth control pill: no longer eligible to use this, as my body reacts negatively to the estrogen in the pill

• ·         Wiping my face and back down immediately after exercise

• ·         Taking multivitamins (figured a deficiency in something was causing it, right?!)

• ·         Taking vegetarian seaweed oil capsules (closely related to fish oil.  No longer a vegetarian, but I can™t stand anything fish related)

• ·         Lactose intolerant, so that pretty much addresses avoidance of dairy, not that I like dairy anyway

• ·         Eating healthier than every mothereffer I know.  For the past 2 years I™ve adjusted my diet so that I eat a wide range of vegetables with every meal, eliminating junk food except for once in a while, and eating proteins from a wide range that are both meat and non-meat based. I eat vegan about 3x a week, largely out of my lack of enjoyment in eating meat proteins and my avoidance of dairy

• ·         As a final note, I exercise 4x a week by partaking in sports leagues, yoga, cycling to work in the spring and summer

The last year has been particularly bad, and I™ve noticed it especially on my jawline.  My doctor believes this is linked to the IUD “ Mirena “ that I had put in last winter.  Apparently the hormone in it is an androgen hormone, which can increase oil production and lead to acne.  I was oily to begin with, but the last year has been ridiculous.  That said, given my ineligibility for most other birth control options, I feel tied to the IUD and am hesitant to remove it.  It™s not as if I had perfect skin without it, to begin with. 

Thus began my search for a solution.  I went on Minocycline a few months ago, but it did absolutely nothing to help.  I had gone on doxy in the past, but it messed with my already not-so-great digestion.  I was referred to a dermatologist this month, who explained to me something that I had suspected for years: IT™S NOT MY FAULT.  All those years of wondering why other people can get away with treating their bodies like garbage in comparison to me, and yet I still get the short end of the stick.  Turns out that it has nothing to do with what I™m doing, and everything to do with bad luck and hormones. 

Cut to today, my third day on Isotretinoin (herein referred to as Accutane or tane because it™s easier to spell).  The facts:

-I™m 120 lbs, 5™5, healthy female aged 29

-healthy, aside from manageable asthma

-no known allergies, except for lactose intolerance

-non-smoker, average of 3 drinks per week

Prescribed:

-40mg of Accutane with breakfast

-20mg of Accutane with dinner

Total for 1st month: 50mg

Will follow up with a picture of my worst area pre-Accutane in a few days. The uploader isn't cooperating right now.

image.jpg

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 02/19/2016 3:55 pm

Are you me? ;) Many similarities!

1 hour ago, Fiveby5ive said:
I was referred to a dermatologist this month, who explained to me something that I had suspected for years: IT™S NOT MY FAULT.  All those years of wondering why other people can get away with treating their bodies like garbage in comparison to me, and yet I still get the short end of the stick.  Turns out that it has nothing to do with what I™m doing, and everything to do with bad luck and hormones. 

Hellz yes! Seriously! Why can people not believe this? Spread the word :)
I'll defo be following your log.

MemberMember
(@bigappleedubs)

Posted : 02/19/2016 4:35 pm

Hi there!

I'm nodding to everything you've tried. I can't even imagine the amount of money I have spent over the last 15 years on face washes, masks, failed prescriptions, derm visits, birth control, vitamins, reiki treatment, accupuncture, supplements, juice cleanses, cutting out gluten and dairy--yep. I hear you. I also did the minocycline thing for a bit in college and it completely messed up my system to the point that I now have terrible reactions any time I take an antibiotic for anything. And I also have an IUD, but it's the Paragard instead of Mirena (because I also can't take hormonal bc pills due to migraines). I really recommend the Paragard, and I haven't noticed any correlation to acne since I got it, but it's just copper without any hormones, so I wouldn't think it would have an effect. Might be something to look into as a subsitute for the Mirena. Anyway, just wanted to say I totally sympathize, and I'm on day 9 of Accutane. I'll be following your logs 🙂

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/22/2016 9:26 am

On 2/19/2016 at 4:35 PM, bigappleedubs said:

Hi there! 

I'm nodding to everything you've tried. I can't even imagine the amount of money I have spent over the last 15 years on face washes, masks, failed prescriptions, derm visits, birth control, vitamins, reiki treatment, accupuncture, supplements, juice cleanses, cutting out gluten and dairy--yep. I hear you. I also did the minocycline thing for a bit in college and it completely messed up my system to the point that I now have terrible reactions any time I take an antibiotic for anything. And I also have an IUD, but it's the Paragard instead of Mirena (because I also can't take hormonal bc pills due to migraines). I really recommend the Paragard, and I haven't noticed any correlation to acne since I got it, but it's just copper without any hormones, so I wouldn't think it would have an effect. Might be something to look into as a subsitute for the Mirena. Anyway, just wanted to say I totally sympathize, and I'm on day 9 of Accutane. I'll be following your logs :)

Hey, thanks for your comment! 

It™s heartening to know that there are others out there who understand the struggle of going broke over trying to fix something that doesn™t want to be fixed! 

As for bc, I had a similar experience on the pill “ intense migraines, which eventually led to aural migraines (couldn™t see out of the sides of my eyes) and then numbness in my left side.  I can™t recall why I got the Mirena over the Paragard, but my doctor recently told me the same thing that you mentioned: there™s no correlation between acne and the copper in it.  She suggested that I could change to Paragard, but I can™t bring myself to do it.  Getting that thing put in was SOO PAINFUL that I don™t even think I™ll be able to do it again.  I have an inverted uterus, which meant that the process was twice as long as normal because my doctor couldn™t get the angle right, and I went white as a sheet during the process, cold sweats, the works.  Glad to hear it is working for you, though :)

I™ll follow your logs as well “ looks like we have some similarities!

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/22/2016 11:20 am

Day 6 Update

Face Wash and Makeup Routine:

Up to and including today Ive been going about my normal face wash routine, twice a day. This is:

• Wash face with Kate Somerville Detox Cleanser

• Tone with Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion (never been sure why Clinique calls their toners lotions)

• Moisturize with Proactiv Repairing Lotion

Twice a week I use the Kate Somerville Exfolilkate Acne Clearing Exfoliating Treatment, and thats also been fine for me this week.

Today, however I noticed some dryness on the right side of my face and on my nose. It wasnt until I applied my Clinique mattifying face powder that I noticed some tingling, kind of unpleasant but manageable. I think Im going to eliminate the Proactiv from now on and switch to a moisturizing lotion (I have some Clinique Moisture Surge lotion leftover from the polar vortex winter we had in Canada two years ago. Even my oily ass face needed moisture that year).

Hair Removal:

I went for an arm wax on Day 2, waxed my upper lip on Day 3 both were fine. I have an eyebrow threading appointment booked for Day 8. Given the tenderness on my face this morning, I think this is curtains for my waxing from here on out. Had to get it in while I still could!

Eating Habits:

I had a few vegan meals this weekend, and one big brunch meal with eggs, sausage, baked beans, the works. Havent noticed any change in my cravings. Not drinking has been hard, only because I had gotten used to coming home on a Friday and having a drink or two to unwind from the week. I think I might treat myself to smoothies or something instead.

Exercise:

I did Ashtanga yoga last night and feel fine today; no soreness. Planning on going to yoga again tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/23/2016 9:42 am

Day 7 Update

My lips are dryyyy all the tiiiiime. That said, I anticipate it getting worse, based on what others have told me.

Face Routine + Makeup:

Ichanged up my face wash routine, and managed to avoid the stinging sensation from yesterday. Ive swapped out the Proactiv repairing lotion for Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask at night, and Dermaologica C-12 Brightening Serum during the day. Oh and I also treated myself to using LIQUID foundation, which is something that my fellow oily girls will appreciate. Felt much nicer on my skin than the pressed powder I normally use, which yesterday looked super flaky when I applied it. By the end of yesterday my skin was oily, though. Looks like Im in that awkward in-between phase.

Exercise:

I played European Handball last night (lots of running back and forth) and feel fine today. I heard that a common side effect of tane is that it makes your muscles sore after exercise, and while Ive only been on it a week, I feel like I might not feel this side effect as greatly as some. I exercise doing a variety of activities throughout the week, so my body is always in a constant state of being a little sore all the time (helloooo late 20's), to the point where I dont notice it unless Im thinking about it.

MemberMember
(@lemonade)

Posted : 02/23/2016 10:32 am

23 hours ago, Fiveby5ive said:

Day 6 Update

Face Wash and Makeup Routine:

Up to and including today I™ve been going about my normal face wash routine, twice a day. This is:

• Wash face with Kate Somerville Detox Cleanser

• Tone with Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion (never been sure why Clinique calls their toners ˜lotions™)

• Moisturize with Proactiv Repairing Lotion

Twice a week I use the Kate Somerville Exfolilkate Acne Clearing Exfoliating Treatment, and that™s also been fine for me this week.

Today, however I noticed some dryness on the right side of my face and on my nose.  It wasn™t until I applied my Clinique mattifying face powder that I noticed some tingling, kind of unpleasant but manageable. I think I™m going to eliminate the Proactiv from now on and switch to a moisturizing lotion (I have some Clinique Moisture Surge lotion leftover from the polar vortex winter we had in Canada two years ago.  Even my oily ass face needed moisture that year).

Hair Removal:

I went for an arm wax on Day 2, waxed my upper lip on Day 3 “ both were fine.  I have an eyebrow threading appointment booked for Day 8.  Given the tenderness on my face this morning, I think this is curtains for my waxing from here on out.  Had to get it in while I still could!

Eating Habits:

I had a few vegan meals this weekend, and one big brunch meal with eggs, sausage, baked beans, the works.  Haven™t noticed any change in my cravings.  Not drinking has been hard, only because I had gotten used to coming home on a Friday and having a drink or two to unwind from the week.  I think I might treat myself to smoothies or something instead.

Exercise:

I did Ashtanga yoga last night and feel fine today; no soreness.  Planning on going to yoga again tomorrow.

I'm 25, just finished my first month of accutane and I also have the Mirena. I very much relate to your story and will definitely be following 

I thought I would let you know that I have been told by my dermatologist that waxing is not allowed while on accutane, because it can simply rip off skin. Same goes for tonics and exfoliators - my derm told me to avoid that. However, my skin gets super flaky so I sometimes exfoliate using my Clarisonic for few seconds on the dry areas. (I use the brush head for sensitive skin)

I have been using the overnight mask by Clinique and Origins as well - love them!

Wishing you the best of luck with the treatment! 

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/23/2016 12:07 pm

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:
I'm 25, just finished my first month of accutane and I also have the Mirena. I very much relate to your story and will definitely be following 

I thought I would let you know that I have been told by my dermatologist that waxing is not allowed while on accutane, because it can simply rip off skin. Same goes for tonics and exfoliators - my derm told me to avoid that. However, my skin gets super flaky so I sometimes exfoliate using my Clarisonic for few seconds on the dry areas. (I use the brush head for sensitive skin)

I have been using the overnight mask by Clinique and Origins as well - love them!

Wishing you the best of luck with the treatment! 

Thanks for the advice, Lemonade! No more toners.  I'm definitely going to stay away from waxing, but I still plan on getting my eyebrows threaded tomorrow.  I'll be sure to moisturize in advance of the appointment.

I took at peek at your log and it seems like we  have some similarities, so I'll be following you :)  I'm interested to see how you deal with the winter dryness - I'm from Toronto, so we have pretty similar weather at the moment.  

Lemonade liked
MemberMember
(@bigappleedubs)

Posted : 02/23/2016 1:04 pm

On 2/22/2016 at 9:26 AM, Fiveby5ive said:
Hey, thanks for your comment! 

It™s heartening to know that there are others out there who understand the struggle of going broke over trying to fix something that doesn™t want to be fixed! 

As for bc, I had a similar experience on the pill “ intense migraines, which eventually led to aural migraines (couldn™t see out of the sides of my eyes) and then numbness in my left side.  I can™t recall why I got the Mirena over the Paragard, but my doctor recently told me the same thing that you mentioned: there™s no correlation between acne and the copper in it.  She suggested that I could change to Paragard, but I can™t bring myself to do it.  Getting that thing put in was SOO PAINFUL that I don™t even think I™ll be able to do it again.  I have an inverted uterus, which meant that the process was twice as long as normal because my doctor couldn™t get the angle right, and I went white as a sheet during the process, cold sweats, the works.  Glad to hear it is working for you, though :)

I™ll follow your logs as well “ looks like we have some similarities!

Yep, I got a mega-aural migraine in 2012 that landed me in the ER, and that was when my doc said I had to get off of estrogen-based BCs STAT. Sorry you had such a rough IUD insertion experience. Mine was actually a breeze, but I know that I'm an exception there. 

Also, I see that you're using the ExfoliKate. I would lay off that. I'm only slightly ahead of you, but basically any exfoliation at this point makes me bleed. Just putting that out there 🙂 

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/24/2016 1:52 pm

Day 8 Update

Face Wash and Makeup Routine

• Wash face with Kate Somerville Detox Cleanser, 2x per day
  • Overnight: Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask (moisturizer)
  • Morning: Dermalogica C-12 Pure Bright Serum
  • Makeup today was pressed mattifying powder (Clinique), some highlighter and blush.  I noticed that while my skin is dry in the morning when I apply my makeup, it's still oily as hell by 5pm

Eating Habits

• I've been pretty busy so my meals haven't been the greatest, but I've made a point of having fruit and veggies every day (and maybe some poutine-flavoured chips....no judgement, ok?!)
  • Always thinking about how I can avoid unnecessary cholesterol intake because my worst fear is that I'll take my blood test in 3 weeks and my derma will deem me ineligible for more tane.  My dad's side of the family has a history of high cholesterol and he was on medication for it for a long time.  I've lived my whole teenage and adult life in fear of inheriting this problem, and have based a lot of my eating habits around avoiding it

Exercise

• Did a flow-style yoga class last night and feel fine today, in that I'm no more sore than I usually am after that class

Skin Observations

• It's funny, my skin doesn't look any different from a week ago, but it feels smoother than it has in so long that I can't even remember.  My biggest (facial) problem area is my jawline and even though there are still many red bumps and cysts, they don't feel as inflamed as usual.  Amazing how much progress has been made after just one week
  • Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I've become so preoccupied with mitigating the side effects of accutane that I've stopped worrying so much about my skin.  Just an interesting thing that occurred to me today.
  • Lips are D.R.Y. Holy moly. 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 02/24/2016 3:58 pm

Have you been checked for PCOS?

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/24/2016 4:16 pm

15 minutes ago, CNA7 said:

Have you been checked for PCOS?

No, but it has something that has been silently nagging me in the back of my mind for a while. I've got excess body hair, except on my head, where I have very fine hair and not a lot of it. The only thing that makes me think I don't have it is that I've never had trouble losing weight, and if anything my BMI could be a little higher. What's the process for getting it checked out?

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 02/24/2016 4:41 pm

Also, a lot of the products you are using may be too harsh for your skin on accutane. I've read in numerous places you should avoid all products aimed to treat acne (detox cleansers, masques, etc.), including vitamin C serums, etc. It's important to use very mild and gentle products such as CeraVe, Cetaphil, or my favoriteEminence Organic Stone Crop Gel Wash. Products that don't have a whole lot going on in them because while you take accutane your skin also becomes very delicate and thin. Just my two cents <3 I start my accutane journey next week! I've posted a log too if you want to check it out... It's under "Pre Accutane & Accutane Log"

26 minutes ago, Fiveby5ive said:
No, but it has something that has been silently nagging me in the back of my mind for a while. I've got excess body hair, except on my head, where I have very fine hair and not a lot of it. The only thing that makes me think I don't have it is that I've never had trouble losing weight, and if anything my BMI could be a little higher. What's the process for getting it checked out?

I definitely recommend getting checked for it -- it could be the solution to a lot of your skin troubles and the excess hair growth. I think with an IUD you aren't getting hormones released into your body, is that right? If that's the case, you'll want to run blood work at different points throughout your cycle... checking FSH hormone, estrogen, testosterone, DHEAS, and progesterone. Although you may not be over weight there is a growing number of women who are called skinny PCOS-ers because they do not have the same insulin resistance/weight gain issue, but have all the other symptoms including cystic ovaries. In order to check for cysts on the ovaries you will need to schedule a trans-vaginal ultrasound and abdominal ultrasound, where they will check your ovaries. I did this last month and mine came back normal, as well as my hormonal panel... but I made sure to cross this off this list before accutane. Although there isn't much you can do when you have PCOS in terms of fixing the acne, spirnolactone is the course of treatment and birth control to help with acne -- this is also the treatment course for women who are just sensitive to DHEAS (male androgen's) in the body. I still think you should get checked -- better to know than not know especially if you want to have kids someday. <3

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/25/2016 9:52 am

17 hours ago, CNA7 said:

Also, a lot of the products you are using may be too harsh for your skin on accutane. I've read in numerous places you should avoid all products aimed to treat acne (detox cleansers, masques, etc.), including vitamin C serums, etc. It's important to use very mild and gentle products such as CeraVe, Cetaphil, or my favoriteEminence Organic Stone Crop Gel Wash. Products that don't have a whole lot going on in them because while you take accutane your skin also becomes very delicate and thin. Just my two cents <3 I start my accutane journey next week! I've posted a log too if you want to check it out... It's under "Pre Accutane & Accutane Log"

I definitely recommend getting checked for it -- it could be the solution to a lot of your skin troubles and the excess hair growth. I think with an IUD you aren't getting hormones released into your body, is that right? If that's the case, you'll want to run blood work at different points throughout your cycle... checking FSH hormone, estrogen, testosterone, DHEAS, and progesterone. Although you may not be over weight there is a growing number of women who are called skinny PCOS-ers because they do not have the same insulin resistance/weight gain issue, but have all the other symptoms including cystic ovaries. In order to check for cysts on the ovaries you will need to schedule a trans-vaginal ultrasound and abdominal ultrasound, where they will check your ovaries. I did this last month and mine came back normal, as well as my hormonal panel... but I made sure to cross this off this list before accutane. Although there isn't much you can do when you have PCOS in terms of fixing the acne, spirnolactone is the course of treatment and birth control to help with acne -- this is also the treatment course for women who are just sensitive to DHEAS (male androgen's) in the body. I still think you should get checked -- better to know than not know especially if you want to have kids someday. <3

Wow, thanks for the in-depth answer CNA7! Sounds like you know your stuff. I'll ask my doctor about it the next time I'm in. It's amazing how many additional problems can come with simply being a woman.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 02/25/2016 11:53 am

No problem! I've spent hrs upon hrs studying/researching all these kinds of things :D And I agree, it's tough being a woman for sure! Lol. Hoping you get some answers soon! 

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 02/26/2016 4:30 pm

Happy Friday 

I got my eyebrows threaded last night (Day 9) and wanted to share my experience with you. It didn't hurt any more than usual, except for the part where the esthetitian stupidly used an alcohol based wipe on them afterwards, even though I told her beforehand that the skin will be very sensitive from Accutane. 

Conclusion: threading was ok for me and I have an appointment to go again in 3 weeks. I may cancel it if I feel my skin is too sensitive. More importantly I want to make it clear that this post isn't meant to encourage people to perform body hair removal during their time on Accutane. Everyone's body is different and responds differently to the medication. You know your limitations best. However, I'm happy to answer any q's you have about my threading experience. 

See below for my after photo, taken about 1 hour after the appointment. 

image.jpeg

Lemonade liked
MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 02/29/2016 12:38 pm

Glad threading worked out for you! Those brows are on point! How is your skin doing?

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 03/02/2016 2:00 pm

Day 15 Update
40mg in the morning; 20mg at night

Week 2, heck yes!  My derma said I'd be on it for about 20 weeks, which still feels like forever.  But I've already got 2 weeks down, which feels like an accomplishment.  I still berate myself for not starting this sooner (i.e. earlier in winter so that I could enjoy the Spring sunshine when it arrives in a few weeks) but at least I'm here now and making progress. 

Face Wash + Makeup Routine

• Still using Kate Somerville DTX Cleanser, but I think I'm going to limit it to evenings from now on. It's fine at night, but really dries my face out in the morning
  • Moisturizing with Clinique Repairwear Cream at night
  • Moisturizing with Dermalogica C-12 Pure Bright Serum in the mornings
  • Touch-up moisture around my mouth in the mornings using Dr. Jart Ceramidin (this stuff is magical; I highly recommend it for anyone who wants intense spot-treatment moisture)
  • Still using Clinique Mattifying Pressed Powder and finding that while my skin doesn't need blotting throughout the day anymore, it still doesn't get too dry from the powder

Eating Habits

• My meals have been vegan-heavy the past week, which always makes me feel better
  • I've been having lemon water every day at work

Exercise

• I felt REALLY sore yesterday, but I'm not convinced it's related to Accutane.  I worked out 4 days in a row (yoga, yoga, dodgeball, yoga), which is a lot for me during the Winter months

Skin Observations

• If there was suddenly a world shortage of lip chap, they'd be able to trace the cause back to me.  I have one in every jacket pocket, every purse of mine, on my bedside table, next to my desk at work, and several in my bathroom.  The reason? My lips are drier than James Blunt's Twitter comebacks.  Not to get too detailed, but every morning I can peel off a layer like I'm a snake shedding its skin
  • My face has been so-so.  I had a few pimples come to head (all cystic that had been sitting on my face for literal months, dormant) but no NEW pimples, which is cool
  • The cystic acne that still exists no longer hurts.  There's no pressure underneath my skin anymore where it used to physically pain me to accidentally touch one of them

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 03/09/2016 10:37 am

Day 22 Update (Week 3)

3 weeks down! Only about 16 more to go (or at least that's the estimate by my dermatologist, anyway).  I can do this.  I can totally do this.  

Face Wash + Makeup Routine

• Using Kate Somerville DTX cleanser in the evenings
  • Moisturizing at night with Clinique Repairwear cream
  • In the mornings I use Key West Aloe Gentle Aloe Facial Cleanser (got a sample in a Birchbox a few months ago. Never thought I'd use something like it, but now I'm glad I saved it!)
  • I follow with Dermaologica C-12 Brightening Serum
  • Still using my Clinique Mattifying Pressed Powder for foundation.  My skin is noticeably dry in the mornings when I apply it, but by the evening it just looks normal.  My makeup actually stays on my face all day now, which is novel to me.  No need to blot the oil away anymore. 

Eating Habits

• I have been a bit hungrier for sugar than I normally am.  I'm very much a salt over sweet kind of person, but lately I've been craving chocolate and candy in the afternoons.  Not sure what that's about.  Maybe accutane is depriving me of some kind of vitamin that's related to this?
  • Overall I've been eating about an 80% vegan diet and then having beef-based meals the rest of the time.  Just want to reiterate that this doesn't have anything to do with being on accutane, rather it's related to my 10 years being a vegetarian up until a few years ago and never totally coming back around to eating animals (barf).  I've had to train myself to accept the taste for health reasons.
  • Still on that lemon water every day but I feel less thirsty this week

Exercise

• I exercised about 3 out of 7 days this past week and feel totally 100% fine.  I went to yoga yesterday and am not sore at all

Hair

• Guys. Guess what.  This is my THIRD day without washing my hair and you can't even tell.  Madness.  I actually forgot to wash it last night as part of my every-other-day routine because it flat out did not occur to me that it needed a wash.  To put it in perspective, in the past, the only thing stopping me from washing it every day because of the sheer volume of grease it produced was the fact that I was too lazy to blow dry and straighten it every day.  
  • On the flip side I actually have some flakes on my scalp the day after I do wash it, which is also new to me.  Dryness has never been an issue.

Skin Observations

• I've had a few breakouts on my cheeks, where I haven't had breakouts in about 10 years.  Maybe due to the increased sugar intake this week.
  • My jawline cysts are actually coming to a head now, whereas they were dormant for the past 6 months.  I suppose this is the infamous 'initial breakout' that everyone talks about.  

Other Observations + Routines

• I have been having some very very vivid dreams every night for the last week.  Some are bad, some are weird, but the common factor is that they feel so REAL.  
  • I've been taking vegetarian DHA capsules once a day, usually before bed.  They're meant to lower serum triglycerides.  
  • I have my second blood & pregnancy test today and I go visit my dermatologist on Monday for a follow-up and hopefully more of this crazy drug.  

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 03/10/2016 4:38 pm

On 09/03/2016 at 3:37 PM, Fiveby5ive said:

Guys. Guess what. This is my THIRD day without washing my hair and you can't even tell.

I can't wait to get to this stage!!! 🙂 🙂

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 03/15/2016 3:01 pm

On 3/9/2016 at 4:38 PM, WittySock said:
I can't wait to get to this stage!!! :):)

I know, right?! Hoping it happens for you soon!

Day 28 (End of Week 4)

I got my blood test and pregnancy test done last week and visited my dermatologist yesterday: more Accutane for me!  I was prescribed more of the same, so for the next 30 days I™ll be taking 40mg in the morning and 20mg at night. 

The major side effect I™m dealing with at the moment is dry lips, but I™ve got that covered with Aquaphor and plenty of hydration.  Yesterday I noticed tiny red bumps on the back of my hands that are a little itchy.  I™ve been moisturizing them regularly so that they don™t get more irritated.  Another minor side effect is dry scalp.  I™ve gone from washing my hair every other day out of dire necessity to not scare away all my friends and family from the sheer volume of grease, to now being on Day 5 of not washing it.  I will probably wash it tonight just because it™s weirding me out, and I™m worried it™s going to start to smell if I leave it any longer. 

Aside from that, nothing new to report! My skin isn't very dry and I'm not getting any joint aches. 

MemberMember
(@leicagirl)

Posted : 03/16/2016 9:07 am

Hm..realizing now that I had a random itchy spot on my arm with tiny red bumps too. I guess I should be aware that this could be from the Accutane if it keeps happening!

Btw, your brows are amazing!

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 03/16/2016 12:30 pm

3 hours ago, leicagirl said:

Hm..realizing now that I had a random itchy spot on my arm with tiny red bumps too. I guess I should be aware that this could be from the Accutane if it keeps happening!

Btw, your brows are amazing!

Yea, I find a little bit of Aquaphor goes a long way with the bumps.  

Thanks for the brow complement! I'm going to get them done again tomorrow.  Hopefully my skin can handle it. 

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 03/21/2016 8:56 am

Day 34

Just a quick update to say I got my eyebrows threaded on Thursday and they were definitely sore afterwards.  Yesterday I noticed a bit of dry skin flaking off where the majority of the threading was done.  It's no longer painful, just dry.  I'm keeping that area well-hydrated, lest I develop any scarring or pigmentation.

I also did a teensy bit of waxing on my bikini line using at-home wax strips.   Ladies, please please don't use me as a guide on this.  It went fine for ME but I would never recommend this to anyone else.  The reason I did it is because I did a tiny test patch beforehand and it seemed fine.  Also, I haven™t been experiencing all-over dryness like everyone else here has.  It™s been isolated just to my lips and backs of my hands.  My skin has actually been pretty normal the last two weeks.  I was also coming onto Accutane from having intensely oily skin, whereas I know a lot of people who take it started with somewhat oily skin or just oily areas. 

The reason I™m sharing this is because I want to be honest about what I™m doing, and to offer my experience up to anyone who has questions about it.  I™m not an expert, this is purely anecdotal. 

MemberMember
(@fiveby5ive)

Posted : 03/29/2016 3:33 pm

Day 42 (Week 6)

My skin took a turn for the worst last week (and by that I mean it was back to its pre-accutane shitty self). I had 3 major cysts pop up on my jawline, two of which are still hanging around. It was super frustrating to experience this set-back, given that I hadn't experienced a single new breakout since starting the medication. I really thought that by the 5th week I'd start seeing major results.

The backs of my hands and now my wrists are very dry - my wrists feel like sandpaper, they're so rough. I've been moisturizing as best I can.

One more thing: my face is no longer super dry. To backtract, I started this medication with extremely oily skin. You could practically see your reflection in the amount of oil I produced. Within a week it was so dry I had to keep moisturizing throughout the day. Now it's not dry at all. Weird, right? Wouldn't it continue on a dry path until at least after I finish my course?