Notifications
Clear all

Doxycycline Journey

MemberMember
(@randomusername77)

Posted : 02/19/2016 1:53 am

I'm 16. I've had acne for about two and a half years. Pretty sure it's genetics, my mom had less-than-mild acne as a teen, my brother had very bad acne when he was in high school, and well here I am. It started in 9th grade I got a couple pimples here and there and usually had no more than 2 pimples at a time. 10th grade I had a few more pimples, I'd say about 5-10 pimples at a time. I then had small breakouts on top of those pimples. I'm now in the middle of 11th grade and just a couple weeks ago my face broke out INSANELY bad! My mom took me to the dermatologist about a week after my face broke out badly. The guy there was extremely nice and I can tell he wants to help rid of my acne. He prescribed me Doxycline Hyclate as well has two topical treatments. My topical treatments are a Benzoyl Peroxide 7% face wash as well as a Adapalene Gel 0.1%. I apply the Benzoyl Peroxide twice a day, once in the morning and once at night ( both times in the shower ). And the Adapalene Gel is at night after I wash my face. I've been using these for about a week now as I've been waiting for the Doxycycline pills to come in. I got my Doxycycline a couple days ago and I started two days ago. I'm on 150mg per day and take one pill, in the morning. So the topical treatments have been helping a tiny bit I think but it has been bugging the crap out of my face. It doesn't irritate it; it just leaves it super dry and all flaky and also it makes it UNBEARABLY itchy. The itchiness seems to get worse as the days go by. Especially at night and when I wake up. I know I'm not supposed to scratch it but I can't take it, it seriously has me shaking when I try not to itch it. It is driving me crazy as I type this! I bought a face moisturizer but I haven't started using it yet. I'm going to use it after I'm done typing this! As far as the Doxycycline Hyclate goes.... Well I haven't seen any improvements in the two days I've been using it, which I'm not at all surprised about. I know it'll take time to impact my acne. If this doesn't work then I am going to be switching to accutane. My brother used accutane and it got rid of his acne 110%, now his face is so clear and there is just about no way to tell he ever had acne; I'm so jealous hahaha. Anyways, I'll probably update every week leading up to my next derm appointment which is in a month!

MemberMember
(@randomusername77)

Posted : 03/10/2016 2:29 am

Biggest. Waste. Of time. Never get this, literally after a month I've seen the slightest amount of improvements. Hasn't got away of ANY cystic acne pretty much. It's only lessened the redness. Don't waste your time on this. Go on accutane. Can't wait to get off of this awful pill and creams. And tbh the only improvements have been from the face wash and cream. Not the pill. Still get acne every day. No side effects but also no results. Once again, waste of time.