Notifications
Clear all

PLEASE HELP! -using raw honey, or other suggestions for me?

MemberMember
(@summaryoxygen)

Posted : 02/13/2016 10:49 am

I've had acne since I was around 12 ( I am now 15, female). I am stressed out as I have GCSE's and everything, but my acne started when I was just in year 7, when I wasn't stressed at all, so i dont know if theres a link here? My acne is now mild' but I haven't had clear skin since I was in primary school and it gets me down so much. I get a cluster of tiny pimples in the middle of my forehead, so its not even a case of being able to pop a pimple. ( I never pick at my skin).

I also took lymecycline antibiotic for a while last year, maybe it helped a little but not a lot, it also caused hair loss so I stopped.I used to have severe cystic acne (always on my forehead, occasionally around mouth/chin), I was prescribed an antibiotic lotion a few years ago, zineryt, which worked so well and reduced by acne by about 70%. However, I used this product for 2 years, little did I know it stops being as effective at around 3 months (thanks doctors!).So, my acne came back. Certainly not as severe this time, no cysts, just little pimples on my forehead, sometimes coming to whiteheads. I use 5% benzoyl peroxide, prescribed by a doctor, which keeps by acne at bay I guess, but certainly won't cure my acne any time soon. I do everything right, I drink lots of water and green tea, eat minimal sugar, wash my face twice a day, and only ever use non-comedogenic mineral makeup. I used Liz Earle cream cleanser for a while, but broke out a lot around my mouth ( which always happens when I use a cream cleanser) so I have now switched to Cetaphil gentle cleaner, which seems to be just average certainly not clearing me up, but not breaking me out. I taken a sufficient amount of vitamins D3 and zinc everyday, too.

I have recently bought some raw honey which I am urging to try but worried incase it breaks me out (I have done a patch test and I am not allergic or anything). Yesterday, I had a hot bath and steamed my face and it felt nice, is this good to pen my pores? Will the raw honey work for whiteheads?
Please if anyone can suggest anything that might help my skin, please help! I really want to get rid of my pimples (ocassional cyst at the sides) and red/oily skin, please help!! thank you:)

ps i also have moderate acne on my back, mild on my chest and very mild on my neck

MemberMember
(@summaryoxygen)

Posted : 02/13/2016 7:19 pm

anyone ??

MemberMember
(@honeylemon)

Posted : 02/20/2016 4:43 pm

hey!

I can't say I relate with the acne however my brother has severe acne on his forehead, chin & back.

We have started a routine of Dudu Osun (black soap), Jojoba oil and cetaphil. Black soaps main ingredients are aloe vera and shea butter but it also contains -Pure Honey, Palm kernel Oil, Cocoa Pod Ash & Palm Bunch Ash.

Massage the black soap into a lather onto the effected areas and leave to dry.

Wash the soap off and moisturise with 4-6 drops of jojoba oil and leave for about 10 minutes to sink in.

Finish by moisturising with cetaphil.

Have been doing this for about 3 weeks so far and his back & chin have cleared up loads, still not quite there with the forehead but this was the most severe area so we're going to give it time.

Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@olenaloves)

Posted : 02/20/2016 7:00 pm

I use raw honey all the time, and I think it works really well to improve skin - it's antibacterial and very moisturizing.

I like to keep it on for a long time (30 minutes up to even 4 hours). Before bed is the best time.. When you're watching tv or reading in the evening.

Apply it to cleansed skin, and just leave on for as long as you'd like. Then rinse with warm water, finish with cold water. Apply a little BP, let dry, then dampen your skin a little and apply moisturizer.

Try doing this every day, or at least 4-6 days a week. It really improved the texture of my skin, and really balances dry/dehydrated skin.

But your 5% BP is very drying. Have you considered trying Dan's 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide? It's an excellent product, and I don't find it drying at all (though other users apply a ton more of it at a time than I do, and do experience serious dryness).

Have you checked out your gut flora? I think the pills may have screwed up your gut, which can be causing inflammation in your system - and inflammation in turn may be causing your acne. You might need to take digestive enzymes or antibiotics. I think you should get your bloodwork done to take the guess work out of things - talk to your doctor. Make sure your hormones are balanced and such, and then you can proceed accordingly.

MemberMember
(@no2hydrogenated)

Posted : 02/21/2016 3:24 am

if you are eating any hydrogenated oil this will cause acne... check labels and if it says hydrogenated oil... dont eat it!!! sasome less reputable fast food probably has hydrogenated oil / trans fat also. . . even the smallest amount will surely cause acne.

brandon

MemberMember
(@keruen98)

Posted : 02/22/2016 2:07 pm

Hey)

Personally for me, I lost all the hope in home remedies as they just seem not to work. Similarly to you, I am using benzoyl peroxide just to kinda control those breakouts, but surely it does not prevent them. Also, I am on a pretty strict diet, but I am not sure if it anyhow affect my acne.

However, i noticed that for me weather plays a huge role. My skin is usually better in dry weather. Maybe have you noticed any changes in skin from weather?

Ofc our skin isnot identical, but i just hope i helped somehow.

P.S. maybe honey mask wouldn't work, but it is very less likely that it would cause any breakouts. Also hot showers are absolutely fine, just make sure to wash at the end your face with cold water to close up pores

MemberMember
(@summaryoxygen)

Posted : 02/27/2016 3:43 pm

On 21/02/2016 at 0:00 AM, olenaloves said:

I use raw honey all the time, and I think it works really well to improve skin - it's antibacterial and very moisturizing.

I like to keep it on for a long time (30 minutes up to even 4 hours). Before bed is the best time.. When you're watching tv or reading in the evening.

Apply it to cleansed skin, and just leave on for as long as you'd like. Then rinse with warm water, finish with cold water. Apply a little BP, let dry, then dampen your skin a little and apply moisturizer.

Try doing this every day, or at least 4-6 days a week. It really improved the texture of my skin, and really balances dry/dehydrated skin.

But your 5% BP is very drying. Have you considered trying Dan's 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide? It's an excellent product, and I don't find it drying at all (though other users apply a ton more of it at a time than I do, and do experience serious dryness).

Have you checked out your gut flora? I think the pills may have screwed up your gut, which can be causing inflammation in your system - and inflammation in turn may be causing your acne. You might need to take digestive enzymes or antibiotics. I think you should get your bloodwork done to take the guess work out of things - talk to your doctor. Make sure your hormones are balanced and such, and then you can proceed accordingly.

Could you tell me more about gut flora? Yeah 'm not sure about my gut, but I have recently got 2 under the skin spots on my jawline which is normally hormonal, I'm scared these will get worse. My GP really isn't very good and I dont want it to get worse!

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/27/2016 8:39 pm

On 22/02/2016 at 3:07 AM, keruen98 said:

Hey)

Personally for me, I lost all the hope in home remedies as they just seem not to work.

More people should know about this. They only work for people with (very) mild acne. I can't stress this enough.

MemberMember
(@olenaloves)

Posted : 02/29/2016 2:23 pm

Hi again!

Excessive antibiotic use can completely wipe out the bad bacteria in your system (gut) and the good bacteria too. When there's an absenceof good bacteria in your gut, your body becomes systemically inflamed, this can either result in acne or worsen existing acne. It's proven that gut problems are more prevalent in acne sufferers.

I would get it checked out by a doctor, and then you can take digestive enzymes or probiotics, and eat fermented vegetables (kimchi) if you do indeed have this problem.

There are plenty of resources online that tell you what you should eat if you would like you increase the good bacteria in your gut.

Hopefully that helps,
Olena