MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/13/2016 8:23 am

Summary:

Male
22 (turned 23 at end of month 2)
Half-white/half-Hispanic
115 lbs (52 kg)
Persistent moderate acne - cystic red bumps that rarely come to a head - primarily on cheeks and temples
Some body acne on back and chest

Month 1 - Myorisan (40 mg, 20 mg 2x a day)
Months 2-5 - Claravis (60 mg, 30 mg 2x a day)

First update:

Wow. So... I've suffered from cystic acne since I was 16. I'm 22 now, I'll be 23 in a few months. And as I'm entering the last year of my early twenties, I realized I really just can't let this go on anymore. I have a full time job and I really just need to be taken seriously and actually be able to concentrate on conversations at work (instead of thinking about my skin the entire conversation). And I can't wait for the day when I can actually make plans on the weekend without worrying that I'll cancel them last minute because of my skin...which I do regularly. 

ANYway... I would describe my acne currently as the lowest tier of moderate (let's say there are 3 tiers). It used to be much worse, probably the highest tier of moderate. But even though it's better, I still always have something active on my face - sometimes it's just one little pimple, sometimes it's up to 5 or 6 cystic pimples along with other smaller pimples. Usually it's somewhere in between. I primarily get acne on my cheeks and temples. My forehead and chin are generally clear, but I do get stuff there sometimes. I don't really get whiteheads very often. In fact, when I do, I almost enjoy it because it's a break from the red spots...

I just took my first pill (20mg) this morning, and I take another one at night. So that's 40mg daily. I thought that was kind of high since I only weigh 115 lbs and I'm 5'6. But my derm was talking about how the higher the dosage, the less likely it will recur. And she plans to up me to I think 50 mg eventually.

I'm really excited to start this drug. I've tried legitimately everything (including basically all other antibiotics for acne, countless acupuncture treatments, radical diet changes, washing with honey, changing my pillow case every day, probiotics, vitamin supplements, different masks, prescription creams, chemical peels, blue light lasers, etc. etc.) but I was always hesitant to try accutane. 

I won't update this daily, maybe a couple of times a week? 

So here's my first official "log":

Left cheek: only one pimple, right next to my nose. 
Right cheek: 5-6 pimples of varying sizes. One is really red and right under my eye which is awesome!
Forehead: One pimple
Chin: Nothing

No side effects because I literally just took the pill 20 mins ago |::) 

Let me know if there's anything else I should be updating! I'm going to take pictures to keep progress but probably won't share those until the end.

Sorry this is so long... 

Edit: Here are 2 pictures from the day I started accutane. Please try and ignore the super ratty beard and 2007 Britney haircut (I chopped off all my hair in January cause I was trying to concentrate less on my appearance...long story...lol). Anyway, the third photo is of what my skin looked like one random day back in October and I just had to take a picture cause my skin rarely looks like that. That's my goal after all of this. I don't care about a few marks here and there. But to be clear like that would be amazing. That's my motivation to keep powering through this thing. Ha

IMG_7228.JPGIMG_7229.JPGIMG_5935.JPG

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/15/2016 8:52 pm

Day 3

I didn't plan to update this after just a few days but idk I just feel like it.

Well, I haven't gotten any new zits since starting accutane so that's good. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the drug, I can't imagine it's had time to actually do anything, but it's a good start nevertheless. The zits on my face also seem to be going away faster than normal, but I honestly could just be imagining things. My arms are also feeling a little drier than normal, but that could once again be me imagining things... or could be due to the simple fact that it's mid-winter...ha

I'm really excited to get a month or so into this. :)  

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/16/2016 8:45 pm

Day 4

Okay so I really didn't plan to update this so often but I wanted to mention a few things:

1. Some of my red marks seem darker than before. There are a few under my eye in particular that I'dbeen actively trying to make less red with chemical peels, etc. and I'd lightened them quite a bit. I've been keeping a close eye on them so I really know what they look like lol, and they suddenly seem a little redder than they were last week. I could just be hyper-analyzing my skin since I'm doing something new, who knows. Did anyone else's red marks get darker during treatment?
  2. The sides of my nostrils are tender, almost like a zit is about to come up. But it's both sides of my nostrils, in the same spot, so I'm thinking some kind of pain related to the accutane? Who knows.

Otherwise, nothing to update. No new zits.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/18/2016 6:22 pm

Day 6

I've got a few updates today.

1. So, I forgot that my face wash had grapefruit extract in it, which is an AHA. So I'm pretty sure that's why my face has been red and blotchy (my acne marks in particular have been redder). I stopped using the face wash, and I've switched to Cetaphil. I feel so stupid, but whatever. It's been nearly 48 hours since I've used my old face wash, and I'm still red though... This can't be a permanent thing, right? I expected the redness to fade a bit by now... Could the redness just be due to being on accutane in general?
  2. My lips are starting to get more chapped. I carry chapstick around with me everywhere anyway, so it hasn't been a hassle yet.
  3. My face (and my scalp, to a lesser extent) is really starting to itch. I always carry a clean paper towel around with me in my pocket, so it's been easy enough to scratch without touching my face. But it's definitely itchier than usual. It also feels a little drier than usual.
  4. So I mentioned that the sides of my nostrils were tender - well, they still are. And now the very innersides of my eyebrows (the sides facing one another) are tender too. It's odd. It doesn't hurt, just tender to the touch
  5. I didn't expect the lack of new zits to last, and it didn't. I've got a small one on my left cheek and I had one on my chin yesterday but it seems to be gone already?? Kind of hard to tell cause I have facial hair. But then I got a different one on my chin that's there right now. But all in all, not breaking out badly yet. I'm sure it will come. Yay... Oh and all of my zits I had on Day 1 are totally gone/basically completely gone. I actually had a cyst on my forehead that was gone within 3 days which is unheard of for me. Could it be thanks to the accutane? Who knows.
MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/19/2016 10:07 pm

Day 7

Okay I really didn't expect this so soon but my face is CRAZY DRY and ITCHY AS HELL. Last night I couldn't fall asleep for nearly an hour cause my face was so itchy. It's still been itchy today, but more manageable. Can I take some type of pill to relieve itchiness? I'll call my derm on Monday to ask.

Other updates:

1. My scalp is a little itchy and my lips are quite dry. The rest of my body is also a little itchy and dry, particularly my arms.Nothing unmanageable though.
  2. I have random soreness around my face. It started with the nostrils and eyebrows, like I mentioned above, but there are some other random areas that are a little sore/tender. Only really noticeable when I'm washing my face.
  3. I've been breaking out a bit, but everything has been pretty small and coming to a head quickly. Which I'm totally fine with. I'm just scared of cysts, which I luckily have avoided so far. I also have had some really tiny whiteheads the past few days (forgot to mention those in the past updates), you know the ones that aren't even red around the edgesand they're so small they're barely noticeable? I almost never get those. The only time I get them isafter getting a chemical peel or after doing an at-home mask. So that's interesting. Seems like my skin really is "purging" like it does after a peel or mask. Is it unheard of to get the initial breakout in the first week? Cause if this is my initial breakout, it's pretty smooth sailing lol.
  4. My face is still a little red. My dad even commented on it today, but said it "wasn't that bad"
MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 02/20/2016 12:49 pm

Just a hint, the dryness might get worse. I use a heavy moisturizer and it helps alot with the itchy skin, its its really itchy, I have a very light hydrocortisone lotion called aquanil HC. My derm told me about it and its amazing. When I get out the shower I use a heavy moisturizer on my arms and legs too, they really help prevent the rash that alot of people get while on accutane.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/21/2016 8:44 am

20 hours ago, Jones4545 said:

Just a hint, the dryness might get worse. I use a heavy moisturizer and it helps alot with the itchy skin, its its really itchy, I have a very light hydrocortisone lotion called aquanil HC. My derm told me about it and its amazing. When I get out the shower I use a heavy moisturizer on my arms and legs too, they really help prevent the rash that alot of people get while on accutane.

Thanks for the tip, appreciate it. I switched my moisturizer from Simple to the CeraVe lotion which has helped tremendously for now. My skin is still tight, but feels (and looks) much more moisturized and much less itchy. Do you use aquanil HC on your face? Looks like it's noncomedogenic according to Amazon. I'll look into it if the itchiness comes back with a vengeance.

Day 9

Well the main updates I just covered in my reply above. Much less dry and itchy, which I'm pretty sure is thanks to me switching to CeraVe lotion (and CeraVe hydrating cleanser). My face is still a little red/pink, but truly not that bad. If anything, it makes the rest of my face blend better with my acne marks. Ha. Got a few little spots here and there on my face, but nothing bad. I have a little soreness right under my eye that feels like it could be a nice ol cyst ready to make its way up. But it also just might be bone soreness. It's hard to tell. Oh...also....this is way TMI but I want to update everything...I've seen a little bit of blood when wiping down under. Which I've read isn't entirely abnormal. That's about it. Cheers!

EDIT: Oh wait, that isn't all actually. I had an acupuncture appointment yesterday (I've been getting them the past few months). I believe in acupuncture, I'm confident it's what helped my acne go from third tier moderate to first tier moderate. It's also done wonders for problems my mom has had. Anyway, I'm going to get treatments once a month (if I can afford it) to try and keep my liver healthy during my accutane treatment. Cause the last thing i want is to have to go off accutane before my course is over. I'm also drinking all sorts of fun teas from whole foods that are supposed to support heathy liver function, and I'm taking milk thistle.

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 02/21/2016 11:31 am

2 hours ago, Stephen23 said:

face

2 hours ago, Stephen23 said:
Thanks for the tip, appreciate it. I switched my moisturizer from Simple to the CeraVe lotion which has helped tremendously for now. My skin is still tight, but feels (and looks) much more moisturized and much less itchy. Do you use aquanil HC on your face? Looks like it's noncomedogenic according to Amazon. I'll look into it if the itchiness comes back with a vengeance.

Day 9

Well the main updates I just covered in my reply above. Much less dry and itchy, which I'm pretty sure is thanks to me switching to CeraVe lotion (and CeraVe hydrating cleanser). My face is still a little red/pink, but truly not that bad. If anything, it makes the rest of my face blend better with my acne marks. Ha. Got a few little spots here and there on my face, but nothing bad. I have a little soreness right under my eye that feels like it could be a nice ol cyst ready to make its way up. But it also just might be bone soreness. It's hard to tell. Oh...also....this is way TMI but I want to update everything...I've seen a little bit of blood when wiping down under. Which I've read isn't entirely abnormal. That's about it. Cheers!

EDIT: Oh wait, that isn't all actually. I had an acupuncture appointment yesterday (I've been getting them the past few months). I believe in acupuncture, I'm confident it's what helped my acne go from third tier moderate to first tier moderate. It's also done wonders for problems my mom has had. Anyway, I'm going to get treatments once a month (if I can afford it) to try and keep my liver healthy during my accutane treatment. Cause the last thing i want is to have to go off accutane before my course is over. I'm also drinking all sorts of fun teas from whole foods that are supposed to support heathy liver function, and I'm taking milk thistle.

From what my derm told me, it's one of the only lotions with Hydrocortisone that won't clog your pores, use it very sparingly. One day on and one day off is good. Also, my derm said to take it easy on the milk thistle. Still take it, but your liver is going through a lot and taking too much I guess can be more taxing.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/21/2016 11:48 am

14 minutes ago, Jones4545 said:
From what my derm told me, it's one of the only lotions with Hydrocortisone that won't clog your pores, use it very sparingly. One day on and one day off is good. Also, my derm said to take it easy on the milk thistle. Still take it, but your liver is going through a lot and taking too much I guess can be more taxing.

Ah, nice to know. I mentioned milk thistle to my derm and she didn't say that, so thanks. I might pick up some of that aquanil HC....

MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 02/22/2016 4:03 pm

Good luck with the accutane mate. I'm nearly 32 and still have bad acne. It really affects my confidence at work (like you said, I'm just thinking about what people think of my face the whole time).

I had a talk with a derm about accutane when I was 16 but you heard all sorts of bad stories years ago so never took it.

I'm sick of being ashamed and embarrassed by my skin all the time so I'm pushing my doctor to prescribe me accutane now

matt

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/22/2016 5:14 pm

1 hour ago, BigM84 said:

Good luck with the accutane mate. I'm nearly 32 and still have bad acne. It really affects my confidence at work (like you said, I'm just thinking about what people think of my face the whole time). 

I had a talk with a derm about accutane when I was 16 but you heard all sorts of bad stories years ago so never took it. 

I'm sick of being ashamed and embarrassed by my skin all the time so I'm pushing my doctor to prescribe me accutane now

matt 

Thanks, I hope you can convince your doc. I'm surprised they're resistant, my derm has been pushing for me to get on accutane for years. 

And I know exactly what you mean about work. It absolutely does wreck your confidence. I'm lucky that I get to sit at my desk for much of my job, but I do have face to face conversations frequently and those are tough. Even with friends it's tough...I'm usually thinking about what people think of my skin during any given conversation in my life.

Anyway, sob story over! Here's to hoping you can get on tane and that it'll work for us both. 

I guess I'll do a quick update too.

Day 10

I couldn't fall asleep last night again cause my face and scalp were so itchy. I put two and two together and realized that both times this has happened, I didn't shower that night. So I think it's making my scalp extra itchy to leave it unwashed for more than 24 hours, which then just makes my whole body (and face) feel extra itchy too. I'm really hoping that's the answer.

Otherwise, nothing major new. My skin doesn't feel as dry as it had been feeling. Maybe CeraVe really just is a miracle? IDK. My lips are definitely drier though, especially my upper lip and the skin right above the upper lip. Still got a few of the zits I've mentioned, but really only two that are even noticeable (well, I have another that would be noticeable but it's in my beard :) ). That's all for today folks. See ya.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/25/2016 5:56 pm

Day 13

The past few days have been...interesting. 

1. The dryness on my face has largely subsided. Again, this happened around the same time I started using CeraVe, so i'm not sure if that's the reason or not. My skin all over my body has still been itchy, particularly my scalp, with my face coming in second place. BUT, as an update to my last post, I have been able to fall asleep every night. No more insane itchiness as I'm trying to fall asleep. My lips are still very chapped and peeling, but nothing chapstick and vaseline can't handle. Oh, the insides of my nostrils have dried out a bit too. Fun stuff, needing to shove vaseline up my nose while I'm sitting at my desk at work. 
  2. I'm definitely breaking out. Not sure if it's my initial breakout or what. I've got 9 zits on my left cheek, 5 on my right cheek, two right under my nose, and one actually on my lower nostril. Ugh. Luckily, many of the zits are quite small and not that noticeable, but there are two in particular on my right cheek that blew up into big whiteheads and then popped (on their own) so now they're all red and crusty. Yum. Overall, the zits do seem to be drying out much faster than usual. Which is nice.
  3. I've been exhausted recently. But I'm not sure if it's because of the accutane. I only got about 5-6 hrs of interrupted sleep on Friday, saturday, and sunday night. On Friday and Saturday I went to bed around midnight or later but woke up multiple times during the night and then woke up for good around 6:30 and couldn't fall back asleep...No idea why, I wasn't drinking or anything. And then Sunday night was the night I couldn't fall asleep because of my horribly itchy face. So anyway, I've been trying to catch up this week by going to bed earlier, giving myself about 9 hrs of sleep each night, but I still wake up and proceed through my day like an utter zombie. My eyes are constantly watery (you know how they get when you're tired), and it's just generally unpleasant. I do feel more energetic today than I did Monday-Wednesday, but sheesh. I hope I get some energy back soon. I wonder if the accutane was making me wake up throughout the night? Or maybe the accutane is just making me fatigued in general and my lack of sleep this weekend only exacerbated that. Either way, I'll update in my next post whether I've regained my energy or not.
  4. I've also been quite irritable/moody. Not depressed though. I've just been getting easily pissed at people at work (wait, isn't that normal? :)). 

Sorry I type so much! 

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/28/2016 5:36 pm

Day 16

Nothing major to update. I'm recovering from my breakout. I haven't gotten any new zits in the past few days, but I've got 5 cysts that are still there...but they're healing. Mostly everything is on my cheeks/jawline. Forehead remains clear.

I've developed a painless canker sore on the inside of my bottom lip. I don't think I've ever had one in this area of my mouth before. If I stick/curl my bottom lip out to do an exaggerated frown, you can see it. Even when I talk you can kind of see it. Ugh.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 02/29/2016 8:57 pm

Day 17

Got a nosebleed as I got out of bed this morning. I was able to stop it pretty quickly, but it was still a little drippy (with blood) throughout the day.

I've also developed some small red bumps and a small rash on some of my knuckles, primarily just on my right hand.

My fatigue has subsided completely. Back to feeling normal.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/04/2016 6:04 pm

Day 21

3 weeks! So...I got another breakout this week, cystic stuff. I've got about 15 actives on my face right now, some still from last week that are going down but not totally gone. It's so weird cause the zits I had when I first started accutane all disappeared SO much faster than normal, but these breakouts seem to be progressing at their normal, slow rate.. :|  My skin doesn't look HORRIBLE but it looks pretty bad. Glad it's the weekend so I can stay in my apartment. 

The dryness has returned to my face, and now I'm flaky around my nose, chin, and even in between my eyebrows. Fun stuff. 

I've also noticed that blackheads seem to be surfacing/more noticeable. I've never really had this happen. It's not that noticeable, but definitely a change. My nose feels a little bumpy because of them (I think).

I've also developed this weird, light gray/red spot/shadow thing on the area of my left cheek that's near my nose.  It's not that big, and not that noticeable...but  definitely new. It looks like an old acne mark, basically, but I'm 100% it wasn't there before. I even checked recent photos of my face to be sure. No clue what it could be. Sun damage? I've been using 46 spf sunscreen religiously. I'm going to point it out to my derm during my appt next week.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/06/2016 9:22 am

Updated first post with pictures. Will probably only post pictures once a month or so. Or just whenever I notice progress or major setbacks.

Here's some pics from today, day 23. No major changes. More red in general and I'm getting cystic temple breakouts. Got some cysts/zits in my beard too that you can't really see. I'm recovering from the breakout I had this week, so a lot of actives from that are flattened/nearly flattened now.

IMG_7559.thumb.JPG.26fb0db9e6067832bdee5IMG_7569.thumb.JPG.4fa78d94471736e8e3ca1

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/09/2016 8:58 pm

Day 26

Had my one month check up today. My derm gave me some free steroid cream samples (desonide) to help with the itchiness on my face. I'll use it for just a few days. I was going to pick up some of that Aquanil HC, but for now I'll see how these samples work.

She upped me from 40mg a day to 60mg a day (30 twice a day). She said it's recommended to dose 1-2mg per kg of weight, or something like that? So 60 mg is my "1 mg per kg" for my weight. I'm less than 60 kg but i guess she was rounding up. So the lower end of what's recommended, basically. She said that I shouldn't need to go any higher than that, but that we'd monitor it.

She told me I could pick up my prescription before she even gets my blood work back, which I thought was odd. She also said I may not need to get my blood drawn at month 2 if my blood work comes back fine tomorrow. Anyway, I brought the prescription slip to my pharmacy and they said Myorisan doesn't come in the 30 mg tabs, so I'll be switching to Clavaris for month two (starting March 14).

As for the state of my skin and side effects... skin is looking okay! Still breaking out hardcore on my left temple, but otherwise just a few spots here and there: one on my right cheek, one of my left cheek, one medium sized whitehead on my neck? Which is really weird. Never get pimples there. It's like halfway down my neck so super noticeable lol but whatever it's just a whitehead. Hands, lips, and face are still quite dry. Got another bloody nose. Nothing else notable to mention. Hard to believe an entire month is almost over.

Diamond98 liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/09/2016 9:39 pm

39 minutes ago, Stephen23 said:
Day 26

Had my one month check up today. My derm gave me some free steroid cream samples (desonide) to help with the itchiness on my face. I'll use it for just a few days. I was going to pick up some of that Aquanil HC, but for now I'll see how these samples work.

She upped me from 40mg a day to 60mg a day (30 twice a day). She said it's recommended to dose 1-2mg per kg of weight, or something like that? So 60 mg is my "1 mg per kg" for my weight. I'm less than 60 kg but i guess she was rounding up. So the lower end of what's recommended, basically. She said that I shouldn't need to go any higher than that, but that we'd monitor it.

She told me I could pick up my prescription before she even gets my blood work back, which I thought was odd. She also said I may not need to get my blood drawn at month 2 if my blood work comes back fine tomorrow. Anyway, I brought the prescription slip to my pharmacy and they said Myorisan doesn't come in the 30 mg tabs, so I'll be switching to Clavaris for month two (starting March 14).

As for the state of my skin and side effects... skin is looking okay! Still breaking out hardcore on my left temple, but otherwise just a few spots here and there: one on my right cheek, one of my left cheek, one medium sized whitehead on my neck? Which is really weird. Never get pimples there. It's like halfway down my neck so super noticeable lol but whatever it's just a whitehead. Hands, lips, and face are still quite dry. Got another bloody nose. Nothing else notable to mention. Hard to believe an entire month is almost over.

Glad to hear your skin is improving! I hope the dosage change works well for ya!

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/14/2016 8:31 pm

Day 31

First day of month two, first day of 60mg/Clavaris. The pills are shaped totally different from Myorisan but still super easy to swallow.

No real changes. Gotten a few new zits and still recovering from some others. All on my cheeks and temples, as usual. My temples have been really acting up on accutane which is interesting. Like right now I have 4 zits on my left temple and 3 on my right. Face is looking a little wrecked overall but not horrible. Dryness has been totally manageable.

I've also been neglecting to mention my body acne. I used to have horrible bacne, but it hasn't been so bad the past year or so. I do still usually have 1-2 small cysts on my back and 1-2 smaller pimples on my chest at any given time. My chest has been pretty clear since I started accutane (aside from some small whitehead-sized pimples I got at the beginning) but my back has been about the same. 1-2 at any given time.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/21/2016 9:01 pm

Day 38

Itchiness has come back after using that steroid gel, but I've been managing it somewhat with tea tree oil shampoo (there seems to be a correlation between my scalp and face itchiness. If I'm able to get one of the two to not be so itchy, either with a gel or shampoo or moisturizer, then the other will calm down too... no idea what that means, maybe just since they're so close to each other).

Dryness has really kicked in again. My lips are more dry and chapped than they've been since i started, like i have to put chapstick or aquaphor basically every 10 mins. my lips seriously looks so wrecked right now. just peeling like crazy. It's been a bit colder here for the past couple of days (it had warmed up to the 70s for a couple weeks, and now we're back down to the 40s/50s for a couple days) so maybe that has something to do with it. Or could just be the dosage change.

Those temple breakouts have mostly calmed down / flattened out now. Active stuff: right now I just have one zit on my forehead (my monthly one! i get one about every other month or two on my forehead lol), one on my left cheek, and one DIRECTLY under my bottom lip, literally attached to it. Looks so godawful. it's one of those that comes to a huge whitehead, then dries up and falls off, but right when it falls off, you see another tiny little whitehead starting to poke through...and then that one comes to a huge head, etc, etc. My third whitehead it currently growing in that spot, after two whiteheads have dried up and fallen off the past few days. But not too bad overall. Otherwise just some tiny, totally unnoticeable bumps (I hesitate to even call them zits, they're just tiny things with little white heads...the type of stuff that only you would notice), and of course red marks.

My marks don't seem to be healing any slower than usual. I noticed some people saying theirs did while on accutane. Mine seem to be healing maybe even a little faster, if anything.

Diamond98 liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 03/21/2016 10:07 pm

1 hour ago, Stephen23 said:
Day 38

Itchiness has come back after using that steroid gel, but I've been managing it somewhat with tea tree oil shampoo (there seems to be a correlation between my scalp and face itchiness. If I'm able to get one of the two to not be so itchy, either with a gel or shampoo or moisturizer, then the other will calm down too... no idea what that means, maybe just since they're so close to each other). 

Dryness has really kicked in again. My lips are more dry and chapped than they've been since i started, like i have to put chapstick or aquaphor basically every 10 mins. my lips seriously looks so wrecked right now. just peeling like crazy. It's been a bit colder here for the past couple of days (it had warmed up to the 70s for a couple weeks, and now we're back down to the 40s/50s for a couple days) so maybe that has something to do with it. Or could just be the dosage change.

Those temple breakouts have mostly calmed down / flattened out now. Active stuff: right now I just have one zit on my forehead (my monthly one! i get one about every other month or two on my forehead lol), one on my left cheek, and one DIRECTLY under my bottom lip, literally attached to it. Looks so godawful. it's one of those that comes to a huge whitehead, then dries up and falls off, but right when it falls off, you see another tiny little whitehead starting to poke through...and then that one comes to a huge head, etc, etc. My third whitehead it currently growing in that spot, after two whiteheads have dried up and fallen off the past few days. But not too bad overall. Otherwise just some tiny, totally unnoticeable bumps (I hesitate to even call them zits, they're just tiny things with little white heads...the type of stuff that only you would notice), and of course red marks.

My marks don't seem to be healing any slower than usual. I noticed some people saying theirs did while on accutane. Mine seem to be healing maybe even a little faster, if anything. 

Glad to hear that most of your breakouts have calmed down! I'm just waiting for my lips to explode with dryness, they are actually manageable right now 21 days in. Good luck with your next week! :) 

Stephen23 liked
MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 03/31/2016 5:31 pm

Day 48

My skin and scalp haven't been nearly as itchy. I've been using that tea tree oil shampoo and I really think that's making the difference.

My breakouts seem to have calmed down a bit on my cheeks. I haven't had a breakout on my cheeks in about a week (aside from a tiny whitehead). My temples are still acting up. I just have one on each temple at the moment, two on my forehead, and one between my lip and nose. So just four, which isn't bad... Still no real chest breakouts, and just two on my back which are pretty much completely healed.

Def look better than my first month though.

Really hoping I'm turning a corner. I turn 23 in just a few weeks so I'm hoping I'll look decent for my bday.

No other noticeable side effects. My back has occasionally been sore for a bit when I lay down in bed. That's been going on since basically the beginning, hadn't mentioned it cause it's not that bad and not every night.

Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande is quite the bop, am I right?

That's about all, folks.

Diamond98 liked
MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 04/09/2016 2:23 pm

Day 57

So I've broken out more :| I got two on my upper left cheek. They're not that big, but they're very red and taking awhile to go away. I've also got one on my forehead. Otherwise, just looking a little wrecked from my marks. And the flakiness is such a pain, all around my mouth and nose and in between my eyebrows no matter how much I moisturize.

I did have my 2 month appointment 2 days ago and will continue with 60 mg a day of Clavaris for month 3. Hoping for some true improvement this month. 

I was also experimenting with the front facing versus outward facing cameras on my phone and dangggg is there a difference. That's why it's so hard to trust before and after pictures online sometimes. All 3 of these pics below were taken today, but check out both of the pics of me facing the right side of the screen. The one where my marks/skin in general are much redder (I have a hoodie on) is the outward-facing camera (no surprise, since it's a better camera) while the front-facing doesn't pick up all those details. 

Looking at these pics, my skin actually looks pretty good, but pictures where i'm facing the camera just always look so much worse than side shots. I just don't feel comfortable uploading any of me front-facing. Anyway, looking forward to this third month and staying positive!

IMG_8095.thumb.JPG.275bdf50ed5b7d816b8acIMG_8103.thumb.JPG.6d18405319b9bc372b380IMG_8091.thumb.JPG.68b2c2536e7151dbf98fe

Diamond98 liked
MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 04/27/2016 7:25 pm

Day 75

I think i may have turned the corner. I haven't had a single zit in at least 2-3 weeks (aside from a TINY TINY TINY whitehead or two that legit no one aside from me would even notice). I'd upload a picture but I look pretty much the same as in my previous photos. The marks are taking their time to go away. Also one of the last zits I had is still a little raised. Like, I'm pretty sure the zit is totally gone, but when I feel it while washing, it's still a little raised like there's still something under there. Wouldn't be surprised if something comes up there eventually.

I want to note that I have very generous lighting in my bathroom. My marks look very good in my bathroom lighting - I know they really do not look bad in those pictures above. They look worse in just about any other lighting (daylight, the lights at work, lights in my parents' house, etc.).

My chest and back have been 100% clear for the past 3+ weeks as well.

I've mentioned that my face had been peeling a lot. It still is, but i've found that using moisturizing cream(instead of just moisturizer / moisturizing lotion)on my peeling spots (around nose and mouth, on chin, between eyebrows) has totally solved the issue. I borrowed some of my mom's Equate. It has the same ingredients as Cetaphil I think.

TMI time: My urethra has been a little red and raw. I've read this isn't abnormal, and it makes sense. Everything else is drying out, why not that too? So that's occasionally been a little painful when rubbing up against my boxers.

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I'm cautiously optimistic.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 05/04/2016 7:48 pm

Day 82

I'm not sure why my profile pic changed lol, I didn't change it...

Anyway, I had a cold this past week (I didn't get a cold all winter, and then I get one in late April/early May...). I was sucking on lozenges and drinking tea with honey, so I think that sudden burst of sugar caused me to break out a little (I don't eat/drink things with added sugar). The "breakout" has just been maybe 5 or 6 small whiteheads throughout the week, nothing major at all, but still a little discouraging since they're leaving red marks (they go away within a few days). Hoping these red marks will clear up quickly since they were small painless whiteheads.

Haven't had a "real" pimple in nearly a month now, which is pretty awesome.

Still flaky around my mouth which makes it look like i constantly have food stuck in my beard... so gross lol.