Notifications
Clear all

Are my cysts infected?

MemberMember
(@april96)

Posted : 02/12/2016 10:50 pm

Hi everyone,

First time posting! I'm 20 years old, currently on my 9th month of accutane, closing in to my 10th month, taking 40 grams each day. I definitely notice a huge difference in my cystic acne, which, to put it simply, was insane before going on to accutane. My only concern is that during my 2nd month of taking accutane, i developed 3 large cysts on my right cheek that I sorta expected would go away by now (it's been almost 8 months). They're still chilling on my right cheek ever since the 2nd month of accutane. Not only are they still there, but in the beginning they grew heads which would pop on their own and I would try my best to clean it up and leave it alone completely. But a few months past, and they weren't healing, not even a little. Constantly, a thick yellow scab would form over not just the cysts themselves, but around the entire 3 cysts. I would clean off the scabs around the cyst but they're only ever coming back. When the scab falls of the cyst, the head would look raised, red and soft (don't know how else to describe it). Its cysts that I've never experienced in all my life.

Every time i point it out to my dermatologist, he says that its 'normal' and not to touch it ... but I've gotten frustrated because its been 8 months and absolutely no improvement. Does anyone have any idea if it could possibly be infected and what I should do? Really desperate to see peoples opinions 🙁

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 02/13/2016 5:20 pm

Wow, 10 months on accutane! Do you mind me asking why such a long course?
I get a similar kind of thing with the scabbing when I get a cyst that comes to the surface - I think its the hardest thing to try and disguise so I really feel for you having it go on for that long! 8 months definitely seems excessive, but maybe its just the skin taking longer to heal while on accutane? It sounds like you're doing everything right by just trying to clean it up and leave it alone as much as possible. Maybe just next time you see your derm make as much of a big deal about it as you feel comfortable doing and ask if there is anything they can do at all?
Sorry, thats probably not too helpful to you right now :(
Congrats on the progress other than that though!

MemberMember
(@april96)

Posted : 02/13/2016 6:08 pm

42 minutes ago, WittySock said:

Wow, 10 months on accutane! Do you mind me asking why such a long course?
I get a similar kind of thing with the scabbing when I get a cyst that comes to the surface - I think its the hardest thing to try and disguise so I really feel for you having it go on for that long! 8 months definitely seems excessive, but maybe its just the skin taking longer to heal while on accutane? It sounds like you're doing everything right by just trying to clean it up and leave it alone as much as possible. Maybe just next time you see your derm make as much of a big deal about it as you feel comfortable doing and ask if there is anything they can do at all?
Sorry, thats probably not too helpful to you right now :(
Congrats on the progress other than that though!

Thank you so much for replying! 10 months really is a long course but my dermatologist pointed out that each person has their own treatment time, and I was still getting a few cysts towards my 7th month. It's really the way the cyst has prolonged and especially how it looks. Really nasty and I know it's not normal.
Exactly! It's basically impossible to disguise, and ever since starting accutane, I've avoided foundation all together unless I've got an event, and even then, it does absolutely nothing. I've got an appointment this week so I'll be sure to really ask him! Thank you again! 😀

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 02/15/2016 6:16 pm

No worries! I should be starting my course of accutane in a couple of weeks. I'm worried my derm will be a chicken and not put me on it for long enough, as I've read the higher the cumulative dose, the better your chances are long term. So it's great that you have a derm who will see it through properly. I cannot imagine not wearing foundation through my course.. you are brave!! Let us know if you get any help from your derm this week - good luck with it!

MemberMember
(@april96)

Posted : 03/31/2016 8:17 pm

Been quite a while since I should have updated you!
So I had ended up going to the derm, but as expected, he just said that it should clear up on it own.
I told him it was frustrating me since its been over 9 months and it hasn't. Not even a little. Buthe was adamant that it would clear up.

I decided to make an appointment with my local GP. She was the doctor who referred me to the dermatologist I'm with at
the moment. I told her about the whole situation, that he keeps saying it will clear up, but that it obviously hasn't.
She was quite shocked and said that she's surprised he hasn't done anything about it. She said it most definitely looks infected.
She took a sample of the scab and prescribed me clindamycin (150g tablets, 4 times a day for approximately a month). The
result of the sample was that there was an overgrowth of a particular bacteria. She said the clindamycin should help heal the scabbing.
Aaaand, it did! So far anyway. Don't want to get my hopes up just yet. The crazy redness is still there of course, but the insane yellow scabbing around it has reduced significantly.

I'm disappointed my derm didn't take it seriously and my local GP did. I'll be mentioning it to him in my next appointment in about 1 week.

I hope your accutane course goes well and you won't have any issues with it!