Notifications
Clear all

Facial keratosis pilaris

MemberMember
(@yoryi)

Posted : 02/11/2016 9:53 pm

Hello everyone:

I got recently diagnosed with keratosis pilaris. It is in my arms and my whole back, and apparently it is also on my face. The bumps that look like comedonal acne, those hard plugs with a hard substance, might be diagnosed as acne but are sometimes facial keratosis pilaris. I wanted to know if anyone else has this condition and what have you done to get it under control, because it actually has no cure.

I forgot to mention that I have a dry and very sensitive skin, so I cant tolerate harsh chemicals on my skin.

Thanks a lot.

MemberMember
(@sophiavermon)

Posted : 02/12/2016 1:01 am

Hi yoyri.
Yes you are right there there is not definite cure or treatment for keratoris pilaris, but there are some medications which can give a positive outcomes like GlySal, Proactive, salicyclic acid and benzoyl peroxide.
Lotions should be gently massaged into the affected area 2-3 times a day. Irritated or abraded skin should be treated only with bland moisturizers until the inflammation resolves.

MemberMember
(@yoryi)

Posted : 02/12/2016 7:41 pm

18 hours ago, SophiaVermon said:

Hi yoyri.
Yes you are right there there is not definite cure or treatment for keratoris pilaris, but there are some medications which can give a positive outcomes like GlySal, Proactive, salicyclic acid and benzoyl peroxide.
Lotions should be gently massaged into the affected area 2-3 times a day. Irritated or abraded skin should be treated only with bland moisturizers until the inflammation resolves.

Thank you very much for your answer! I forgot to mention that I have a very sensitive skin, so i cant actually use chemicals like BP or SA, so it is kind of complicated. Thank you very much nonetheless!

MemberMember
(@rachael1610)

Posted : 02/15/2016 9:47 am

Hi, I am also struggling with this (although I only got the condition recently). I have hundreds of tiny pimples on my forehead and cheeks (occasionally one or two get inflamed like regular pimples). I used a retinoid for a while that seemed to help unplug the pores (Aknemycin). It improved the appearance but wasn't worth it in the end for me, because it made my skin very dry, tingly and sensitive and just didn't feel healthy at all. I think my pimplesbe diet/hormone or stress related but I can't say for sure.

MemberMember
(@259859_1443947736)

Posted : 02/19/2016 12:14 am

I have the same condition. I have had KP on my arms since I was a child, but as I get older it continues to spread to other parts of my body. I now have it on my arms, back, face, and to a lesser degree on my legs. Have you tried giving the Dan's 10% glycolic acid an adjustment period? When I first started using it, I had to use small amounts especially on my face, lots of moisturizer, and stay completely out of the sun. I stuck with it and can now tolerate liberal amounts on my face and back. It has really helped clear KP in those areas, but I do get dry and sensitive and have to use a good amount of moisturizer and jojoba oil after to balance. I've also seen Reviews of Paula's Choice 9% BHA spot treatment that say it is effective against KP. And Paula's Choice also has some lower concentration of both glycolic and BHA creams if the 10% is just too much for your skin.

The best non-chemical advice I have for you is to reduce the heat and length of your showers and/or baths. The more often I shower, the worse it gets for me. I've also read that laser hair removal in the affected areas can drastically reduce KP for about 6 mo at a time, but that is quite expensive (for me anyway).

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@yoryi)

Posted : 02/19/2016 5:50 pm

17 hours ago, 259859_1443947736 said:

The best non-chemical advice I have for you is to reduce the heat and length of your showers and/or baths. The more often I shower, the worse it gets for me. I've also read that laser hair removal in the affected areas can drastically reduce KP for about 6 mo at a time, but that is quite expensive (for me anyway).

Hi, I just wanted to know how long did it take for you to see improvements after you started showering for less time and colder water. And also, did a stringy substance come out of your facial keratosis pilaris bumps when you squeeze them? I havent been able to understand how to stop this annoying thing.

MemberMember
(@olenaloves)

Posted : 02/19/2016 9:40 pm

If you have KP you need to look for the ingredient UREA in your moisturizer. I wouldn't rub or exfoliate that sort of thing too hard.. (no Proactive!)

MemberMember
(@259859_1443947736)

Posted : 02/28/2016 12:07 am

On 2/19/2016 at 2:50 PM, yoryi said:
On 2/19/2016 at 9:14 PM, 259859_1443947736 said:

Hi, I just wanted to know how long did it take for you to see improvements after you started showering for less time and colder water. And also, did a stringy substance come out of your facial keratosis pilaris bumps when you squeeze them? I havent been able to understand how to stop this annoying thing.

Reducing length and heat of showers helped me within a week. It wasn't improvement, but enough to be noticeable. I have also seen tutorials on using dry brushing to clear KP on the arms and legs, but it is not recommended to use dry brushes on the face. I myself have been trying the dry brushing for a little over a week now on my arms and haven't noticed any difference, but its supposed to take 6 weeks or so to start helping I guess.

Yes, it sounds like we have the same thing. I have lots of raised, flesh colored bumps on my cheeck (and arms, and legs, etc) and when I squeeze them there is a small amount of white stringy substance clogging the pore.

Here is another weird- and maybe useless- thing I tried. Someone suggested using Tinactin cream with the active ingredient Tolnaftate. It's an antifungal usually used for athlete's foot or jock itch. I tried it on my face every other night for a while and it did clear a lot of the bumps temporarily, but it also made me very oily, and didn't seem like a permanent fix.

MemberMember
(@yoryi)

Posted : 02/29/2016 8:46 pm

On 28/2/2016 at 0:07 AM, 259859_1443947736 said:

Yes, it sounds like we have the same thing. I have lots of raised, flesh colored bumps on my cheeck (and arms, and legs, etc) and when I squeeze them there is a small amount of white stringy substance clogging the pore.

Hi! Thank you very much for your answer. Ive been reading about this condition and it is pretty common to see it in people with dry, eccema prone skin. I suffer from both of these, and wanted to know if you have dry skin or suffer from dermatitis.
Ive been trying a couple of moisturizers but my skin still feels dry and itchy sometimes. I havent been able to find an answer to this stressful condition!