Notifications
Clear all

Fecal Microbiota Transplant (FMT) for acne. Discuss...

MemberMember
(@smartingell)

Posted : 02/06/2016 4:33 pm

Hi,

I'm not going to give a lengthy account of my skin and its history. Suffice to say I've tried literally everything, and its still terrible. Accutane and antibiotics have made it much worse in the long term, and I'm now desperate to fix the problem at its source. I'm convinced it starts and ends in my gut for many reasons that I won't go into here. Increasing probiotics and dietary fibre, and eliminating sugar, wheat, dairy, and gluten, all seem to help manage it to a degree, but I'm still very prone to very regular and aggressive outbreaks. This would make sense given that apparently once the gut is seriously depleted, its very difficult to replace the lost bacterial colonies - UNLESS through FMT. And this is the reason for my post...

I'm scheduled for FMT this month in the hope that it might finally fix whatever has been ruining my face for half my life now. It's a massive shot in the dark though, based mostly on theory because while many online resources suggest it can treat acne, I have found none which talk about the link specifically.

So, has anyone got any experience of treating acne with FMT? Does anyone know of any decent articles or other resources on the topic? When I search 'FMT' on this site, there are currently no results! Any relevant information is very appreciated.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 02/07/2016 12:03 am

Did you acquire a second opinion or observatory statement from any other medical professionals? Do you have other documented underlying diseases or sicknesses that require a differential diagnosis?

Ever heard of a bacterial infection called SIBO? (small bacterial intestinal overgrowth)

Defecating and providing a fecal sample may be a little out there, but it's a proactive and logical step towards tackling your issue. It may be something that requires more demanding medical supervision to possibly compensate for until the effector (homeostatic irregularities?) regains proper function...

Could be anything as the study of our gastrointestinal tract can be broken down a few ways: gastroenterology and the more complex neurogastroenterology. a doctor could probably continue on secondary developmental training with endoscopy, clinicopathologically

MemberMember
(@smartingell)

Posted : 02/07/2016 2:34 am

The last nutritional therapist I saw diagnosed a yeast overgrowth in the gut due to the it's depletion of good bacteria post accutane and antibiotics. However, by 'medical professionals' I get the sense you mean 'doctors'. I've seen many nhs doctors (I'm in the uk) and dermatologists over the last 10-15 years (I'm now 30), and not one of them has ever shown any knowledge or interest in underlying gastrointestinal factors to my acne, they've simply prescribed more antibiotics and accutane which eventually stopped working and made the acne much worse. The dietary changes I mentioned is the only thing that seems to give any relief now.
I have recently completed a CDSA (comprehensive diagnostic stool analysis) test to check my microbiota before undergoing fmt, but won't get the results back until after.
I have heard of SIBO. The only symptom I have for this though is gas and occasional runny stools - no bloating, stomach pains, low energy etc. I'm also doing much of what is generally suggested for it - eliminating carbs and sugars, cleansing herbs like goldenseal, oregano oil, echinacea etc. And as I understand it, if the problem is SIBO, rebalancing my gut flora with fmt is only going to help.

Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks

MemberMember
(@mygutleaks)

Posted : 02/07/2016 5:56 pm

have you ever tested for excess heavy metals? candida won't clear until metals are delt with.

i've read a lot about it. my opinion is that it's well worth a shot, especially if it won't cost much - and since a lab is doing it, you will definitely get a good sample. might want to try and eliminate some candida in the colon so the bacteria has a better chance of gaining ground. you could do a few water/saline enemas - lay on your left side and squirt that baby up there and hold it. you'll get out out some nasty yeast. make sure to take some molybdenum so your liver is protected.

i believe the bacteria will work their way up the gut and help with sibo. please come back and report your outcome!! i've been considering this as well. good luck!

MemberMember
(@bobbby)

Posted : 02/13/2016 1:08 pm

Wow, it was strange reading your topic. You sound just like me, except I never took accutane. I actually just had an FMT done at the end of January, which I hope will solve my acne problems. You say you are in the UK, are you going to Taymount? That is where I went for my FMT.

I can't really say it has helped after 2 weeks, but I wasn't expecting it to help this quickly. I can still feel changes are happening in my gut. I have had off an on die off symptoms over the past few weeks, with today being one of the stronger days. I wouldn't expect my skin to improve until my microbiome sorted itself out and gave my gut a chance to heal.

MemberMember
(@jaoblin55)

Posted : 04/06/2016 11:23 pm

I'm really glad you guys are engaging this topic of FMT. This is the closest thing there is to a cure for acne.

Long story short, I had severe acne on my face and back, and after many FMTs (about 30 now), my complexion has improved beyond belief. With continued FMTs, I'm fully confident I will achieve a completely clear complexion. It only keeps getting better. However, the process requires patience, and it is by no means an overnight cure. At least, that wasn't the case for me. But, I think it's completely worth it.

Long story short, I researched my acne for years, and nothing I tried worked. Luckily through some searching on Google I finally read about FMTs. Then I stumbled upon some article a mother wrote about her son whose skin cleared up from acne with FMTs. I decided it was worth taking a chance since I was so desperate. So,I went to the Newbery Clinic in Argentina. I got some FMTs performed on me while there and also took home many FMTs that I can self-administer.

FMTs really get at the core of what causes acne - imbalances in gut bacteria. Please ask me any questions you have about my experience.

Caiby liked
MemberMember
(@jhlo)

Posted : 10/02/2017 10:43 am

On 07/02/2016 at 7:34 AM, smartingell said:

The last nutritional therapist I saw diagnosed a yeast overgrowth in the gut due to the it's depletion of good bacteria post accutane and antibiotics. However, by 'medical professionals' I get the sense you mean 'doctors'. I've seen many nhs doctors (I'm in the uk) and dermatologists over the last 10-15 years (I'm now 30), and not one of them has ever shown any knowledge or interest in underlying gastrointestinal factors to my acne, they've simply prescribed more antibiotics and accutane which eventually stopped working and made the acne much worse. The dietary changes I mentioned is the only thing that seems to give any relief now.
I have recently completed a CDSA (comprehensive diagnostic stool analysis) test to check my microbiota before undergoing fmt, but won't get the results back until after.
I have heard of SIBO. The only symptom I have for this though is gas and occasional runny stools - no bloating, stomach pains, low energy etc. I'm also doing much of what is generally suggested for it - eliminating carbs and sugars, cleansing herbs like goldenseal, oregano oil, echinacea etc. And as I understand it, if the problem is SIBO, rebalancing my gut flora with fmt is only going to help.

Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks

Hi, Wow, your experience sounds like mine, except I stumbled upon demodex mites when looking into mange in dogs (as that was what I looked like). Doxycycline on and off for 2 years is what did me in, as well as loads of stress. I took and still take probiotics (was on 100 billion per day now down to 50 billion)plus used/usezz cream to kill the mites. Once the mites were under control and my good bacteria back up, my body could fight the bacteria from their dead bodiesin my hair and oil glands. FMT sounds interesting. I might try it out to see if it stops the occasional 1 spot I get during PMS. Maybe other good benefits will surface, too.

MemberMember
(@herro22)

Posted : 06/15/2019 1:18 am

Hismartingell, do you have any update? Did the fmt help?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/15/2019 10:24 pm

Does anyone now whether you take the encapsulated faecal matter by mouth or inset it like an enema ? I always assumed the latter, but maybe I am wrong...

MemberMember
(@fvckacne)

Posted : 09/13/2019 7:54 pm

Sounds like a reasonable question: which species are being introduced?

A lot of us take probiotics (which are based almost always on Lactobacillus type organisms). The issue with that I suppose is that many people don't realize that Lactobacilli collectively only represent about 0.01% of the microbiota as a whole. They are not dominant organisms as is commonly believed. They are just the most well known probably, given that a vast number of organisms are obligate anaerobes and are difficult to isolate, culture and study.

Additionally, and as I've written in a blog post, the major end product of LAB fermentation is lactic acid. But the gut and immune system at large is much more influenced by SCFAs like Butyrate which do, in fact, have immunomodulatory properties. Which is why I believe there are more notable organisms whose roles are yet to be discovered than your typical acidophilus.

Personally, I've never noticed jack shit from any lactobacillus stuff. It sounds you're on the right path, as this route is probably the closest you will come to a solution, if at all possible.

MemberMember
(@francisg)

Posted : 11/04/2019 4:06 am

Has anybody else had any success with this method? Am very interested to hear from more FMT patientsfor skin conditions.

MemberMember
(@caiby)

Posted : 01/22/2022 8:33 pm

On 4/7/2016 at 10:23 AM, Jaoblin55 said:

I'm really glad you guys are engaging this topic of FMT. This is the closest thing there is to a cure for acne.

Long story short, I had severe acne on my face and back, and after many FMTs (about 30 now), my complexion has improved beyond belief. With continued FMTs, I'm fully confident I will achieve a completely clear complexion. It only keeps getting better. However, the process requires patience, and it is by no means an overnight cure. At least, that wasn't the case for me. But, I think it's completely worth it.

Long story short, I researched my acne for years, and nothing I tried worked. Luckily through some searching on Google I finally read about FMTs. Then I stumbled upon some article a mother wrote about her son whose skin cleared up from acne with FMTs. I decided it was worth taking a chance since I was so desperate. So,I went to the Newbery Clinic in Argentina. I got some FMTs performed on me while there and also took home many FMTs that I can self-administer.

FMTs really get at the core of what causes acne - imbalances in gut bacteria. Please ask me any questions you have about my experience.

Hi Jaoblin55. You wrote this many years ago now and it has just been brought to my attention. The "mother you spoke of whose son was cleared up by acne within about 10 days, never to return" was me. It also reversed his Crohn's Disease - that was 9 years ago. I did FMT for 16 months, but the acne, as I said cleared up in 10 days and did not return - not one pimple ever after that! His donor, my niece had perfectly unblemished skin (the same age) and was very healthy. Here is some of my story I have recently told. My son is now 24, we started FMT when he was 14. [Edited link out] the book is fascinating and I didn't write it, it was written by Dr Sabine Hazan, Professor Tom Borody and Sheli Elsworth. Worth reading - it's a fascinating subject. [Edited link out]