Notifications
Clear all

Any advice would be appreciated!

MemberMember
(@charliegirl)

Posted : 02/02/2016 5:19 pm

Ok so I am in the midst of crisis and any kind of help or ideas would help. So I am 39 and have always had a fairly good complexion. No major problems with acne, not even as a teenager. About 3 months ago I started getting this big deep, subcutaneous lumps. One or two at first. I kept to my rutine thinking it must just be almost that time of the month. Within a week or so of the first my entire right cheek was covered i cystic acne and a forehead full of big, fat whiteheads! I freak out, which probably lead to me making it worse. I switch to all biore products, I had been a Neutrogena girl all my life. The first few days it seemed to be getting better but then, BOOM! Around day 7 I looked worse the. I ever had in my life and my face HURT! While I have slightly sensitive skin, nothing had ever felt or looked like this before. So after searching and searching I find myself here, and this is where the help is needed. I was able to purchase benzac AC gel at 5%, lowest concentration I could get but now I am in need of a good wash and moisturizer. I have VERY oily skin and live in a hot and humid climate. I am not in the US so getting the sites products are not an option. I have tried the Neutrogena extra gentle and it's far to creamy and leaves me feeling dirty. Currently I am using Neutrogena pink grapefruit oil free acne wash, which is fine by itself, but with the benzoyl, far to drying. Finding a quality moisturizer is also proving difficult. So here is my plea, I need as many recommendations as I can get. Not all items are available so the mute suggestions the better. Thanks so much for even reading my rambling rant! Peace and love

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 02/03/2016 3:50 pm

Hi Charliegirl, you could have a look at epiologyskincare.com. The wash is non-drying. The cream is moisturising and not at all irritating to the skin so could be good for your situation. It ships to almost anywhere in the world out of New Zealand. Good luck

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/03/2016 8:55 pm

With a 5% BP product, just apply a light layer, do not apply liberally or it may be too drying! Cetaphil moisturizer is great, very hydrating.

Best of luck! :)

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 02/03/2016 9:49 pm

I love CeraVe moisturizing cream, make sure it's the cream and not just the lotion.... the lotion is super watery. It's thick so you only need a little and will not clog pores. I usually slather a ton on at night and then a little during the day.

MemberMember
(@vxnova)

Posted : 02/04/2016 4:08 am

Benzac 10% acne gel works incredible for me but may be too harsh on your skin it seems. Have you tried 2.5% bp?

MemberMember
(@fartbox6702)

Posted : 02/04/2016 11:35 pm

I have to say, I found something today by accident that may prove to be the best moisturizing product for acne prone skin ( if you're not afraid to use oils, that is ). It's called hair and bears oil base. It is sold by cultures for health and bulk apothecary. I have suddenly started having major skin problems at 29, and went through my life without ever having them. I have been using a generic benzoyl peroxide kit, and it has dried my skin out so much. No flaking, but lots of tightness and it's accentuating the bumps. So, back to the oil. I did some research and every ingredient, every oil, is non comedogenic and actually, some of them help acne. It consists of fractionated coconut oil (comedogenic ingredients are filtered out), hemp oil, jojoba oil, tea tree oil, bitter orange and peppermint oils. I put it on my face tonight and for the first time in 2 weeks, my skin is not uncomfortable. It's also not shiny. My skin is acting like it's natural oil. If you're not afraid of oils, you might want to give it a try. Going to continue my regimen and use this as my moisturizer, and will update.

I Also wanted to add that with my skin, dry out makes me break out more. That's why I am hoping natural oils will help.

I literally bought this stuff to make a beard balm for my boyfriend. In the process, I may have stumbled upon something truly useful in another manner.

MemberMember
(@vxnova)

Posted : 02/05/2016 9:37 pm

22 hours ago, FartBox6702 said:

I have to say, I found something today by accident that may prove to be the best moisturizing product for acne prone skin ( if you're not afraid to use oils, that is ). It's called hair and bears oil base. It is sold by cultures for health and bulk apothecary. I have suddenly started having major skin problems at 29, and went through my life without ever having them. I have been using a generic benzoyl peroxide kit, and it has dried my skin out so much. No flaking, but lots of tightness and it's accentuating the bumps. So, back to the oil. I did some research and every ingredient, every oil, is non comedogenic and actually, some of them help acne. It consists of fractionated coconut oil (comedogenic ingredients are filtered out), hemp oil, jojoba oil, tea tree oil, bitter orange and peppermint oils. I put it on my face tonight and for the first time in 2 weeks, my skin is not uncomfortable. It's also not shiny. My skin is acting like it's natural oil. If you're not afraid of oils, you might want to give it a try. Going to continue my regimen and use this as my moisturizer, and will update.

I Also wanted to add that with my skin, dry out makes me break out more. That's why I am hoping natural oils will help.

I literally bought this stuff to make a beard balm for my boyfriend. In the process, I may have stumbled upon something truly useful in another manner.

Sorry but I couldn't help but chuckle at your screen name. Benzoyl peroxide does tend to dry out the skin and make it feel tight. I personally like the the dryness because my skin is very oily so never need to put on moisturizer. Glad you found something that works.

MemberMember
(@charliegirl)

Posted : 02/07/2016 1:42 am

Well this is what I'm trying for at least the next month: I got Avene gel cleanser and their cleanance hydra lotion. The cleanser feels wonderful, it has no soap, lathers really well and seems to do the job. The dream is even better. Only active ingredients and 2 of them are water and jojoba oil. My face is feeling very hot and tight the last few days, but I'm guessing it's the benzoyl peroxide, I have never used it before. At least I hope so, it was hard enough finding these products and they weren't cheap! I can't get a lesser dose of the benzoyl at the pharmacy and haven't been able to locate any of the spot treatments mentioned in here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the irritation starts to lessen, because it's really working! In 5 days all but the worst patch of cystic acne on my cheek is mainly gone! I can suffer a bit for these results! Is that normal by the way? The sensitive hot feeling? I have a darker complexion so not red just a bit uncomfortable.