Notifications
Clear all

Going back on the pill for my acne and oily skin

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 02/02/2016 2:07 am

So I have finally decided to go back on the pill for better skin. It is not an easy decision because I have done enough research to know that going on the pill is not a permanent fix and that eventually in the future if I really have to come off of it for some reason, the acne will most likely come back way worse. Plus it has many possible side effects. I originally started this post to ask for advice, but since I hadn't gotten any reply, I thought maybe I could use this post to share some of my personal feelings instead.

Honestly, I think every person with mild to severe acne can understand just how depressing having skin problem can be. Every day the first thing I do in the morning is to grab a mirror and to see if my acne has improved or worsened. Ever since I have developed acne, my skin has become the no.1 center of attention in my life. Everything I do would basically revolve around my acne: while my friends spend money on clothes and manicure, I spend my money on high quality facial mask, moisturizer, concealer...etc. On Friday nights my friends love to enjoy having dinner together and grabbing a drink afterwards, but I would have to either say no or join them with guilt and anxiety, since simple carbs and alcohol are bad for hormones and acne (as well as going to bed late). And it has been such a long time since I have actually enjoyed any outdoor activity because going on antibiotics makes my skin sensitive to sun exposure, and also my acne looks absolutely terrible under the sunlight...let alone the fact that I rarely go out without foundation these days. My loving boyfriend finds it weird that I almost always wear makeup when I am with him, even when there are just the two of us at his place. I would make up all the stupid excuses to avoid sleeping over at his place just because I do not wish him to see how bad my acne is.

I am not writing this post in order to spread any negativity, but I guess I just want to stress that my acne has gotten me to a point of life at which I feel like my life has been token control by my skin, and I desperately want changes. I understand perfectly the consequences of going on the pill, but if it means giving me back the control of my life, even just for a few years, I am willing to take the risk.

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 02/09/2016 10:17 pm

I know what you're feeling! Acne can be such a difficult thing to deal with, especially when it's hormonal. I'm too taking birth control pills to reduce my pimples and, as you, am concerned about the side effects. Just try to be positive and to take blood exams every 4 or 6 months to see if everything is OK. I have some friends that are on the pill for about 10 years now without complications, so don't worry.

Give about 3 or 4 months on the pill and you'll see a huge difference. I also thought my pimples were connected to simple carbs, alcohool or a bad lifestyle in general, but since I started taking the pill I realized food make basically almost no difference when it comes to acne. I eat very healthy but now I can enjoy junk food every once in a while without freaking out about my skin. I'm sure you'll also get there and have your social life back again. 

As for your boyfriend, I pretty much believe he will not care about your acne. I also was concerned about if my bf would stay with me with all that disgusting pimples all over my face and guess what... he didn't care about it. And I'm sure yours will continue loving you and think you're the most beautiful girl.

Things will get better, I promise.

MemberMember
(@drifting)

Posted : 02/09/2016 10:49 pm

I COMPLETELY understand. I remember going to sleep crying over my skin, waking up and feeling dejected that nothing's gone away or gotten better. My family's been giving me tips for years, like ginseng pills and serums -none of which worked! I went on anti-androgen pills which finally gave me clear skin but I know it's not going to be a permanent fix so I'm trying to very slowly wean myself off them. At the same time I'm starting the Acne.org Regimen and I think now that I don't have acne, it's actually a little easier because I don't have all those bumps in the way and I can see how the treatment's affecting my actual skin.  Before and after pics 

My point is, your emotional health kinda comes first. I don't think anything like accutane's a good idea because it's wayyyyy too harsh, but if you don't see another method then go for it. Make yourself happy. BUT at the same time, keep in mind that if you get off the pill you might have some really bad side effects. I googled it once and freaked myself out with all the horror stories of ppl getting off the pill and just ruining their skin. Apparently when you try to get back on the pill it doesn't work as well because your hormones are different or something like that. I'm actually trying to get off spiro right now, just extremely slowly so I avoid these negative side effects. >_>

Sorry it's been such a bad trip for u :( I hope the pill works out well. Good luck!!!

MemberMember
(@amyr33d)

Posted : 02/17/2016 9:10 am

I totally understand how you are feeling. I've tried everything to clear my skin from accutane to chemical peels, light therapy, retin a, bp, antibiotics, topicals, not to mention all the expensive products I've purchased hoping to get clear skin. Everything I've tried will work for a while then my skin just get used to it and breaks out again. I have scaring on my face from years of acne. It's really depressing especially when there seems like no solution. I've just got the contraceptive pill Yasmin to try. Taken my first one today. I've been trying to avoid going down this route as i did not want to have to rely on drugs for clear skin but it's got to the point that I feel I've tried everything else and this is my last resort. My boyfriend is always saying to me it's no wonder you get bad skin when you put all that makeup on! Just leave it off. But without it I have no confidence. I've been with him over a year and I don't think he's ever seen me with no makeup on. I won't even leave the house without makeup. I would love to get to a point where I felt I didn't have to wear it all the time but that seems like it will never happen. I hope you have success with taking the pill. I've heard it gets worse before it gets better but it will be worth it if it works. Good luck. Let me know how it works out for you.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/25/2016 8:21 pm

On 2/1/2016 at 2:07 AM, Jennifer Cheung said:

So I have finally decided to go back on the pill for better skin. It is not an easy decision because I have done enough research to know that going on the pill is not a permanent fix and that eventually in the future if I really have to come off of it for some reason, the acne will most likely come back way worse. Plus it has many possible side effects. I originally started this post to ask for advice, but since I hadn't gotten any reply, I thought maybe I could use this post to share some of my personal feelings instead.

Honestly, I think every person with mild to severe acne can understand just how depressing having skin problem can be. Every day the first thing I do in the morning is to grab a mirror and to see if my acne has improved or worsened. Ever since I have developed acne, my skin has become the no.1 center of attention in my life. Everything I do would basically revolve around my acne: while my friends spend money on clothes and manicure, I spend my money on high quality facial mask, moisturizer, concealer...etc. On Friday nights my friends love to enjoy having dinner together and grabbing a drink afterwards, but I would have to either say no or join them with guilt and anxiety, since simple carbs and alcohol are bad for hormones and acne (as well as going to bed late). And it has been such a long time since I have actually enjoyed any outdoor activity because going on antibiotics makes my skin sensitive to sun exposure, and also my acne looks absolutely terrible under the sunlight...let alone the fact that I rarely go out without foundation these days. My loving boyfriend finds it weird that I almost always wear makeup when I am with him, even when there are just the two of us at his place. I would make up all the stupid excuses to avoid sleeping over at his place just because I do not wish him to see how bad my acne is.

I am not writing this post in order to spread any negativity, but I guess I just want to stress that my acne has gotten me to a point of life at which I feel like my life has been token control by my skin, and I desperately want changes. I understand perfectly the consequences of going on the pill, but if it means giving me back the control of my life, even just for a few years, I am willing to take the risk.

hey there. Wondering how you're doing by now and if the pill is helping?
I totally get you. I stupidly went off my pill in October and my skin got sucky. I just started a generic but I am not doing well on it so I'm going back to ask for the real yaz.
I also worry about taking meds all the time but we only have so much time in life. I don't wanna spend any more of it worrying about my skin.

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 05/25/2016 10:25 pm

2 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
hey there. Wondering how you're doing by now and if the pill is helping?
I totally get you. I stupidly went off my pill in October and my skin got sucky. I just started a generic but I am not doing well on it so I'm going back to ask for the real yaz.
I also worry about taking meds all the time but we only have so much time in life. I don't wanna spend any more of it worrying about my skin.

Yes, the pill is helping me a great deal! My skin is a lot less oily than before. I guess my skin just kind of returned to the state before I went off birth control. I always have oily skin so my skin is still oily. For the first few months I still got cystic acne occasionally around my period but now only small zits and comedones left. However it also causes some mood swings and anxiety issues in me...

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/26/2016 8:50 am

10 hours ago, Jennifer Cheung said:
Yes, the pill is helping me a great deal! My skin is a lot less oily than before. I guess my skin just kind of returned to the state before I went off birth control. I always have oily skin so my skin is still oily. For the first few months I still got cystic acne occasionally around my period but now only small zits and comedones left. However it also causes some mood swings and anxiety issues in me...

well I'm glad your skin is better!
im one of the few people who seems to feel better on birth control. I'm not liking this generic though so I'm going to switch. I had a generic called Gianvi which I liked but I might try real yaz.