Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm pretty sure the green tea I've started drinking for the last 2 days has caused/ contributed to a breakout. How can you tell if it's just a breakout from the caffeine or just a purging stage? Anyone have great success with green tea? Especially when your diet is near perfect lol. I've been having 2 cups a day.

Green tea does have caffeine in it so be careful as it could cause breakouts if you are sensitive. There are other teas with antioxidants in them and no caffeine eg. Rooibos

I tried drinking green tea and taking green tea extract pills. didn't work.  Note that green tea has benzoates which release histamine in the body.  If you've found yourself having an itchy face before the breakout, it's most likely that you have a histamine intolerance.  Taking vitamin C lowers histamine

Have you considered white tea? It is supposed to have even less caffeine than green tea but the same amount of antioxidants.  Also pay close attention to the type of tea you are getting and how you brew it.  If using green tea get a high quality loose leaf Sencha, and brew correctly. 

I started drinking 1 cup of hot green tea every morning about 4 weeks ago. Just "straight up" green tea. I did my research before I bought it, & have what was consistently the healthiest green tea to drink. It contains caffeine, but I have drank caffeine my entire life with no problems. Some background info, I'm a 58 year old female, so I have no acne issues. I take really good care of my skin, & WHEN I wear makeup, I wear primer without adding foundation (I work from home so I rarely leave the house). I get compliments on my skin all the time. I DO have very sensitive skin, & have had some "histamine" reactions (tried to wax an area of my face----red swollen skin with red bumps the next day), have never been able to have my lips waxed (the 2 times I've had it done it-----20 years ago & both times years apart--looked like someone socked me in the mouth an hour after & into the next day, etc.). I usually take benadryl & it's gone within 3 hours or by the next morning. So, last night, around 10 p.m. I went to the bathroom & glanced in the mirror & my entire forehead was covered with tiny red bumps & the skin was red, as were small areas on both sides of my face close to my hair line, & 2 small areas on both of the "apple area" of my cheeks. I almost freaked b/c it looked terrible. I cleaned my face, & applied a thin layer of Retin-A (prescription. 05%), & then applied an all natural  "calming" moisturizer. It looked a little better this morning, but it's still not completely gone. I did not take a benadryl (I forgot). I haven't had acne of any kind in 35 years. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why this may have happened & it occurred to me to see if the green tea could have caused it. It's been 4 weeks now, never happened before, but could it be possible that, since it is a very powerful antioxidant, that it's purging toxins from my skin? If so, why only my face & no other areas of my body? I was diagnosed with rosacea & seborrhea maybe 4 yours ago, but both are mild cases. The rosacea will sometimes make my face tomatoe red when I'm overheated, but I've never had any bumps, & the seborrhea sometimes causes small dry patches on my skin that are not even noticeable. However, the seborrhea does cause my skin on my forehead to be unusually dry, so I'm extra diligent about my skin care. My dermatologist (he has been my dermatologist since I was 15) gave me the Retin A & another cream that is an anti-bacterial cream to use only when I need it (rosacea issues) but I haven't needed to use them very often. The 2 together are primarily for the rosacea, as in the past my face would turn red much more often. After a year or so ago, for some reason, I rarely have had problems with either of those skin conditions. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I realize sometimes we experience things that are chalked up as anomalies & may never figure out the cause, but the green tea is the closest NEW thing I could think of. Nothing else has changed.

I have noticed a weird correlation of breakouts when I drink green or black tea. Could be a coincidence, but I start get acne in places I never get it.