Notifications
Clear all

Alternatives to Spironolactone

MemberMember
(@neesy815)

Posted : 01/27/2016 1:21 pm

Hello!
I am 41 years old and never struggled with breakouts as much as I do now. I rarely, if ever, get a small whitehead, rather I only suffer with the large, inflamed cysts that only an injection from a dermatologist can fix. I've been on Spironolactone for three years and it has helped...some. One of the side effects I've had is bleeding in between periods. My gyno doesn't know too much about Spiro and the dermatologist said that's not a "usual" symptom for so long. Within the past few weeks I've had ultra sounds, biopsies, bloodwork to check hormones and thyroid - all in an attempt to find a cause. The spiro is the only thing we can think of that may be causing it. Truthfully, I can live with the abnormal bleeding if it means I have clearer skin. I've lived with it for thirty years and the cysts are embarrassing and agonizing...enough is enough.

My regimen includes Benzaclin, Retin-A Micro and Aczone topically. Orally I take Spironolactone (150 mg daily) and the recently added Doxycycline once a day. The addition of the Doxy has gotten me over a recent hump of one large painful cysts after another.

HOWEVER...my husband and I have decided to try for our 5th (and final) baby. My OBGYN recommends I stop taking the Spironolactone immediately because it is a Class D drug - VERY unsafe during pregnancy. I am not only worried about that, but I'm worried about it hindering conception as well.

Does anyone have ANY advice on an alternative that works as well as spironolactone? I have tried EVERY topical regimen out there, I take A, B, C and E supplements and always have...I'm just so scared of going off of it, which I know I have to do.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

MemberMember
(@chagan)

Posted : 08/18/2016 6:21 pm

Did you ever come across any good alternative to spironolactone? I am in the same exact boat as you!! Trying to get Prego and spironolactone worked so well but can't be on it!

MemberMember
(@meowsical)

Posted : 11/13/2018 3:33 pm

Hi, I'm in the same boat. Does anyone have any pregnancy safe alternatives to spironolactone? And how long do you need to be off of it before conception?

MemberMember
(@angelinna)

Posted : 11/29/2018 2:36 am

Azelaic acid or it's derivative:Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate (PAD), which works better with no side effects like itching andburning. I actually just added that to my skincare regimen because it regulates sebum production and brightens the skin (it's a tyrosinase inhibitor). Unfortunately, nothing is as good as Spiro.

MemberMember
(@christinamarie13)

Posted : 11/30/2018 9:53 am

I cannot say this enough.... Swanson Spearmint Capsules! I was on spiro for around 6 months and it basically did nothing for me except give me bad Charlie horses, low iron, and cause slight shedding of my hair (the third not being a huge problem for me as I have always had WAY too much hair anyway... hair on my head is super thick). However, I thought to myself... this cant be a safe drug if its causing all these problems. Lo and behold, after googling Spiro and doing some more research, I learned it was a steroid - which of course my derm neglected to inform me of. After doing my own research I ordered swanson spearmint capsules from Amazon on a whim. Ive had acne for 10+ years and tried everything under the sun except Accutane. I was SHOCKED when i saw results from spearmint after literally 2 days. My skin has never been so clear in my entire life. If spiro helped you then I believe Spearmint will as well, as it is supposed to have a similar effect in reducing androgens. However, I had no luck with spiro and have had tons of luck with spearmint... so not sure about that. Im also not on Birth control - Ive read some other stories of the spearmint/birth control combo not being the best idea...but since it sounds like you wont be either, you should be good. Anyway... highly recommend spearmint, its been a game changer for me. For the first time in a long while I dont even have to wear foundation daily! Im loving it. 🙂