Notifications
Clear all

Cystic Acne Help!

MemberMember
(@jackiwoj)

Posted : 01/26/2016 10:24 am

Hello Everyone,

At age 26, I recently started suffering from horrible cystic pimples. I've had breakouts from time to time prior to now, but not these type of pimples. I can feel the bumps deep under my skin and they just get larger and larger. They never actually come to a head, but they leave a big red mark. It's almost like they inflate, then deflate, then inflate in the exact same spots. I've made the mistake of trying to pop a couple of them and created a huge red open wound on my face that took forever to heal. However, if I do not pop them it seems that they never really go away. On a side note, I've worn makeup my whole life. Recently, I have switched everything to non comedogenic and oil free products and these cystic pimples are still coming! I have tried acne washes, gentle cleansers, acne pads, and basically every spot treatment on the market. I have even tried changing my diet for about a week to avoid coffee, sugars and carbs and I still got them. I also have extremely dry skin, but I cannot use any product with oil in it. I would love to hear some suggestions. Does anyone experience the same thing?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 01/26/2016 11:17 am

I used to have the exact same problem. Those cystic pimples are the worst and hurt so much when infected. It is hard not to try and pop them to ease the pressure.

I have tried multiple things...antibiotics, which only worked for a couple of months. Tretinoin, which made them go away faster but never got rid of them from coming back. Diet changes, which did absolutely nothing for me.

The only thing that worked was The Regimen...almost similar to Proactiv. Cleanse, treat and moisturize once every day and night to control the acne from coming. Benzoyl peroxide is the key to this whole thing and I have managed to stay clear for over 3 years now. It wasn't an easy process to start but it was worth it for me.

I have a link in my signature of before and after pics in case you are interested to see how bad my acne was.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@jackiwoj)

Posted : 01/26/2016 1:34 pm

Thank you so much! I will definitely try this! The pimples I have been getting are exactly like yours....extremely red and sensitive to touch. I usually get scared to use a moisturizer but i think my extremely dry skin may be making the problem worse. I may pick up the Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Fluide also since you said you haven't experienced any breakouts. Thanks again!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 01/26/2016 1:43 pm

6 minutes ago, jackiwoj said:

Thank you so much! I will definitely try this! The pimples I have been getting are exactly like yours....extremely red and sensitive to touch. I usually get scared to use a moisturizer but i think my extremely dry skin may be making the problem worse. I may pick up the Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Fluide also since you said you haven't experienced any breakouts. Thanks again!

In all of this I realized moisturizer is super important. I have very very oily skin and in turn was scared to moisturize given my face is always so shiny. But when using Benzoyl peroxide to help with acne, your skin will NEED the moisture.

Ugh!! The Smooth Finish Fluide I love so much!!! It is pricey but I love how lightweight it is on my skin but still enough to even out my skin tone.

DeLovely liked