Notifications
Clear all

Is it normal for acne to be excruciatingly painful?

MemberMember
(@n88)

Posted : 01/24/2016 3:54 am

I've done a little searching on this subject, but every post I read regarding acne being "painful" has to do with "emotional pain," not physical pain. I have never cared very much about my appearance, so that aspect of having acne doesn't bother me so much, but what does bother me is how extraordinarily painful my acne is.

I'm 26 and have had acne since around 12-13. Two rounds of accutane in high school, tried nearly every oral antibiotic (only Amoxicillin has worked), tried dozens of topicals, diets, etc., and I still have severe acne. My acne is painful. Really, terribly painful. This is what it looked like a while back when I stopped taking Amoxicillin due to GI issues:

FvINf3.jpgFvINf3.jpg

06n4z1.jpg

That was a few days after I stopped taking Amoxicillin, so it was the beginning of a breakout. Had I not started taking it again, it would have gotten worse.

My acne is debilitatingly painful. That may sound like an exaggeration, but it's not. I have a fairly high pain threshold, but my acne is so painful when I have a breakout like this that I am unable to carry out daily activities. Opening my mouth to talk, smile, or eat is so painful I avoid doing so. 

Is this normal?

MemberMember
(@non-fictional-fangirl)

Posted : 01/24/2016 12:14 pm

I have moderate acne and it does not hurt as you say except when I pop a specific one. So, no, I don't think this is normal.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 01/24/2016 2:48 pm

10 hours ago, n88 said:

I've done a little searching on this subject, but every post I read regarding acne being "painful" has to do with "emotional pain," not physical pain. I have never cared very much about my appearance, so that aspect of having acne doesn't bother me so much, but what does bother me is how extraordinarily painful my acne is.

I'm 26 and have had acne since around 12-13. Two rounds of accutane in high school, tried nearly every oral antibiotic (only Amoxicillin has worked), tried dozens of topicals, diets, etc., and I still have severe acne. My acne is painful. Really, terribly painful. This is what it looked like a while back when I stopped taking Amoxicillin due to GI issues:

FvINf3.jpgFvINf3.jpg

06n4z1.jpg

That was a few days after I stopped taking Amoxicillin, so it was the beginning of a breakout. Had I not started taking it again, it would have gotten worse.

My acne is debilitatingly painful. That may sound like an exaggeration, but it's not. I have a fairly high pain threshold, but my acne is so painful when I have a breakout like this that I am unable to carry out daily activities. Opening my mouth to talk, smile, or eat is so painful I avoid doing so. 

Is this normal?

The pimples i get on my chin/around my mouth can sometimes be very painful. Its strange because some of my pimples hurt more than others???? I always thought it was pretty normal for pimples to hurt - i mean they are like a kind of wound. When i try to describe the pain to my parents i say its like someone got a knife and made all these tiny stab wounds on my face. So not the greatest pain in the world but still hurts! Maybe the mouth area is more sensitive?

MemberMember
(@n88)

Posted : 01/25/2016 1:45 pm

With mine I have a constant, strong aching pain. Then, if anything touches them (my hands, a pillow, etc.), I feel a very sharp, stabbing pain.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 01/25/2016 3:31 pm

It is possible! Especially since they are around your mouth then I figure it would hurt with talking or some form of facial expression. Often times I would pop the acne on this area just to relieve some pressure.