Notifications
Clear all

Should I go on ACCUTANE? ACNE NOT THAT SEVERE

MemberMember
(@realcloudy)

Posted : 01/23/2016 7:00 pm

Hey Everyone,
I am just posting here hoping to get some advice regarding accutane!!
I had perfect skin up until about 16/17 and then i started breaking out pretty bad!! A full face of those cyst type spots under the skin!My mum advised me to go to the doctor & she prescribed me benzol peroxide cream & antibiotics! Skin cleared up pretty well & then i was told by the doctor to stop taking the antibiotics!The cream that i was prescribed was then taken off the market & i just resorted to buying the BP from the regimen as it is easier!
I am currently using the BP from the regimen & washing my face with a 5% salycilic acid face wash 2x a day, using higher bp % creams from the doctor, glycolic acid, salicylic acid cream and more but i am still breaking out with cysts despite all this!Even when i use a salycilic acid or higher % bp on the cysts they still take ages to go away & when they do leave a huge red mark that takes months to clear up!! I only get around 5ish cysts at the one time, for example at the minute i have 2 massive full blown cysts & 3 which are still fairly visible but on their way out!
I know that some people would happily swap there skin for mine so i don't mean to sound ungreatful!!! My skin looks in really bad condition & i feel like i am just absolutley destroying my skin for no reason & that it should be a lot better than what it is at this point considering all the really strong products etc I use!!!
I have put up with this for around 5 years now, including the whole way through Uni but now i am graduating in June & i am just a bit fed up with constantly having to panic about have all my skin washes & creams everywhere i go & constantly having to worry about people looking at my skin!!
I am thinking of making an appointment with my doctor this week, she put my brother on accutane for the same reason & i am basically wondering if she suggests it to me do you guys think it would be worth it??
Any help would be amazing!!!
Holli x

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 01/24/2016 7:40 am

Did it work for your brother? If so I think it is worth it. Cysts are nasty and the scarring will eventually add up. A

MemberMember
(@realcloudy)

Posted : 01/24/2016 1:41 pm

yea well he is still on it at the minute but he seems to have had pretty great results!! & the only side effect which he has said about is really dry skin & lips

MemberMember
(@valerie1987)

Posted : 01/25/2016 1:16 am

When I was in my early 20s, I started getting bad cysts. My doctor suggested accutane, but I was too scared to try it because of all the side effects, but nothing else worked. And my skin wasn't horrible it was just 2-3 cysts at a time. Now I'm 28 and just starting accutane now, because I'm STILL getting cysts :(. I wish I went on it when I was younger because now I have scars all around my jaw. If your doctor suggested it, I would deff try it!! the cysts are soooo hard to get rid of, and I always thought I would out grow them and I never did

17 hours ago, Chris1337 said:

Did it work for your brother? If so I think it is worth it. Cysts are nasty and the scarring will eventually add up. A

Yesssss they definitely add up!

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 01/25/2016 6:23 am

I finished accutane last month. My acne was similar to yours. Cysts are so hard to deal with and really depressing. I started getting them at 25 years. I used to dig mine out when they appeared because otherwise they would stay forever until I eventually picked it out. I had one for three months once. I'm fortunate that my face just doesn't scar but my back is a mess with scars. Accutane is definitely the answer for cysts according to everything I've read. I know my acne could come back but I really believe my cysts are history!

I've had one big pimple since accutane, panicked and ordered the regimen. I'm completely clear so I'm going to use less bp. The regimen is more like insurance for me. Good luck! My only regret is that I didn't go on accutane sooner.

MemberMember
(@realcloudy)

Posted : 01/25/2016 8:28 am

this is just my face at the minute do you guys think i am being really dramatic?? I know a lot of people would happily swap with me but considering all the time & money i spend & it still only looks like this! & it has been 5 years & i havent grown out of it! 

Snapchat--5535243079609317046.jpg

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 01/25/2016 12:07 pm

I think it would be worth it. There are many people that desperately need accutane and can't get it. If you have the opportunity, have tried other prescriptions and still have persistent acne I would go for it. Especially since your sibling is doing well. My personal experience with cysts and backed up from my dermatologist is that they generally get worse and more stubborn as you get older. As valerie1987 stated they just keep coming.

I tried from Highschool to age 26 to get rid of mine. Nothing worked except the Accutane so far. They started getting much worse and scarring much worse as I got older. If your on the fence perhaps try some more prescriptions but if it remains stubborn try the Accutane.

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 01/25/2016 1:26 pm

Are you ok with it getting worse before it gets better? You could go a month or so with multiple big cysts when you start out, If you are ok with that, it will help.

edit- you may be one of the many many fortunate ones that have no initial breakout. It is not guaranteed, but be prepared for your acne to get worse before it gets better. Accutane will clear you for a time, it may be forever, but it is a hell of a drug and the side effects are real. The dry skin, doesnt sound bad, but it can get really bad, very flaky while youre on the course.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 01/25/2016 8:03 pm

Your acne looks just like mine did. Accutane was the right choice for me. If everything comes back full blown my mind will change... My side affects were:
1. Crazy dry inside of my nose and loads of boogers, lol! No nosebleeds though.
2. Itchy skin, but not flaky.
3. Dullened sense of emotion. I was going through a lot at the time and was pretty much emotionless! This was a plus for me, but now that my emotions have returned, I think it was definitely real and not imagined.

It's a personal decision but it sounds like you are ready for accutane.

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 01/26/2016 5:15 pm

I haven't been on Accutane (although I once had a prescription for it in my hand) but would say, as long as you're ready for the side effects, go for it!