Notifications
Clear all

Skin peeling from benzoyl peroxide. Help?

MemberMember
(@humanaevitae)

Posted : 01/23/2016 1:48 pm

Hey all,

Long story short:

I have very oily skin. I started using the Regimen from Acne.org when I was in high school as directed. It cleared my acne for years but made the skin around my mouth and the skin by my eyes peel extremely bad. It was really ugly and stressed me out as much as my acne. My junior year of college, I decided to stop using it because my skin was clearing up. Until then I thought I had combination skin; I didn't realize it was the BP making my skin flake and peel. I broke out again after a little while and haven't been able to find a solution since.

After trying several different kinds of treatments (mostly Murad or other Salicylic acid-type treatments), I went to a dermatologist. She told me to get a BP wash and gave me a prescription for topical Retin-A. I'm supposed to use both once a day but I'm still getting my skin used to Retin-A, using it once every third day. I'm using the BP wash only at night, with a simple cleanser when I shower in the morning. Several days ago I noticed the same flaky skin around my mouth, and I'm guessing it's from the BP wash. The problem is my acne is actually getting better. It's not perfect but I'm also not up to the full dose of the products yet.

Has anyone else had flaky skin from BP? What do you do to combat it? I moisturize every time I wash my face, with a more intense moisturizer at night (Clinique) and the Jojoba oil from Acne.org. I still wake up with peeling skin in the morning. I don't want to go off BP because I think it's helping, but I don't want to have flaky skin either.

UPDATE:So I've been using a more intensive moisturizer along with Jojoba oil every night. I've also been using a toner twice a day after washing for the past few weeks. The flakiness is getting worse and even leaving red marks deeper in my skin.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 01/23/2016 4:12 pm

2 hours ago, HumanaeVitae said:

Hey all,

Long story short:

I have very oily skin. I started using the Regimen from Acne.org when I was in high school as directed. It cleared my acne for years but made the skin around my mouth and the skin by my eyes peel extremely bad. It was really ugly and stressed me out as much as my acne. My junior year of college, I decided to stop using it because my skin was clearing up. Until then I thought I had combination skin; I didn't realize it was the BP making my skin flake and peel. I broke out again after a little while and haven't been able to find a solution since.

After trying several different kinds of treatments (mostly Murad or other Salicylic acid-type treatments), I went to a dermatologist. She told me to get a BP wash and gave me a prescription for topical Retin-A. I'm supposed to use both once a day but I'm still getting my skin used to Retin-A, using it once every third day. I'm using the BP wash only at night, with a simple cleanser when I shower in the morning. Several days ago I noticed the same flaky skin around my mouth, and I'm guessing it's from the BP wash. The problem is my acne is actually getting better. It's not perfect but I'm also not up to the full dose of the products yet.

Has anyone else had flaky skin from BP? What do you do to combat it? I moisturize every time I wash my face, with a more intense moisturizer at night (Clinique) and the Jojoba oil from Acne.org. I still wake up with peeling skin in the morning. I don't want to go off BP because I think it's helping, but I don't want to have flaky skin either.

How many times do I have to say this, lol. Yes dry and flaky skin are normal when using BP.

MemberMember
(@humanaevitae)

Posted : 01/23/2016 7:56 pm

But that's not really what I asked.

What do you do to make it stop? It's really ugly, it hurts. I didn't mean to annoy you, but I really want help.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 01/23/2016 11:01 pm

3 hours ago, HumanaeVitae said:

But that's not really what I asked.

What do you do to make it stop? It's really ugly, it hurts. I didn't mean to annoy you, but I really want help.

You can use a toner after cleansing. I found this to help 🙂

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 01/25/2016 5:16 pm

You could try the epiology products that I recommend for a shot at eliminating the flaky soreskin problem.

MemberMember
(@jd123)

Posted : 01/26/2016 1:25 am

always follow up with a good moisturizer! raw african shea butter is a great one you can purchase it at your local beauty supply store

oyinkan98 liked
MemberMember
(@humanaevitae)

Posted : 02/27/2016 12:50 pm

So I've been using a more intensive moisturizer along with Jojoba oil every night. I've also been using a toner twice a day after washing for the past few weeks. The flakiness is getting worse and even leaving red marks deeper in my skin.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?