Notifications
Clear all

Did Benzoyl Peroxide Work For You?

MemberMember
(@annaaabelle)

Posted : 01/21/2016 10:41 pm

I have tried salicylic acid and it did absolutely nothing for me. I'm thinking of trying benzoyl peroxide, but I don't know which product brand I should try first. Did bp work for you and what product did you use?

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 01/21/2016 10:43 pm

2 minutes ago, annaaabelle said:

I have tried salicylic acid and it did absolutely nothing for me. I'm thinking of trying benzoyl peroxide, but I don't know which product brand I should try first. Did bp work for you and what product did you use?

Yes it did/does & acne.org's bp.

MemberMember
(@lalena)

Posted : 01/22/2016 10:40 pm

Yes, BP worked for me very well. I used Obagi Cleanziderm MD system for 3-4 months and it helped me a lot.

MemberMember
(@dayv)

Posted : 01/22/2016 10:41 pm

Not really, it dried things out a lot but they still haven't gone away

MemberMember
(@maryelleng)

Posted : 01/23/2016 9:09 am

Hey. I've recently been prescribed benzoyl peroxide again. It works well for drying up spots and IMO its not as irritating as other creams I tried (epiduo/duac).

I'm using a brand called Acnecide (I think you can buy it from Boots <£10, but I got this on prescription) its 5%. Just as a heads up, I remember when I first was prescribed this as a teenager I was itchy/red or the first few weeks as skin got used to it.

I hope it helps :)

MemberMember
(@cjpeters33)

Posted : 02/29/2016 3:42 am

To begin with yes but the more u use it the more your skin gets immune/used to it i started at 5% but after 3 months had to jump to 10% 3 months later 10% wasnt working and i got moved to tretenoin etc that was ages ago though now im on accutane point is it will work but not long term cant comment on dans bp but ive used proactive overpriced bp wash and alsoBenzac AC benzoyl peroide however in saying the above have u tried glycolic acidwhen i used the salicylic acid 2% from clear skin care clinics following sga they worked in unison the glycolic acid i believe is whatcleared/peeled the skin and the salicylic acid just stopped new ones from forming worth thinking about anyway cheers

MemberMember
(@littlemisssisyphus)

Posted : 06/21/2017 8:36 pm

I've had acne for YEARS!!! It has cleared and come back repeatedly. One system that worked well for me was combining the BP and SA. Oxy had a strong BP face wash, combined with the pink grapefruit scrub (Neutrogena or equate). I put a little of both in my hands and mix together. This can be very drying, especially if you have sensitive skin. I don't! That said, moisturizing keeps your body from prouting more oil. I use a 2.5% BP cream after I wash, then a moisturizer with SA.
Maybe over kill, but I'm over this acne thing! The only other thing to add to this is a retinoid night cream. This mimics epiduo. Proactiv has one in the MD collection of you can use Roc. Buy in a tube so it doesn't oxidize the good stuff away. You can use an alcohol free toner, too. So far I have had good results. My complexion isn't perfect but it's a lot better. Less redness and new blemishes.
BP kills bacteria while the SA and retinol help shed the skin that clogs pores. Keeping moisturized minimizes the oily build up. I also blot with tissue paper between washes and try not to touch my face.

MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 06/21/2017 11:28 pm

No, not really. It just made my skin red and irritated but did nothing for my acne. As I kept using more I developed an allergy to it and ended up with hives and itching.