Notifications
Clear all

20Mg Accutane/isotretinoin Diary

MemberMember
(@lemonade)

Posted : 01/21/2016 6:35 am

This is my first entry to my 20mgisotretinoin diary.

First off, some basic information about me:

Weight: 63kg
Height: 178cm
Skintype: Combination, dry/oily patches

I have been suffering from acne ever since I got off DianeMite (high hormone) birth control, about 2 years now.
My acne is not as severe as some of the cases I have read about in this forum.
I get acne cysts on my jawline and above my lip area and often around my eyebrows, which has started to create a lot of scarring.
I occasionally get pimples on my breast area and my back.
As I am blonde and extremely pale, the red scarring is very visible on my skin.

Skin care routine:
Organic coconut oil for removing makeup.
Cleansing with the gentle cleanser from Kiehl's.
Moisturizing with La Roche Posay Effaclar H.
For my lips I am using Mentholatum and Burt's Bees lip balm.

I am doing 20 mg per day, so quite a low dosage.
The side effect I am most worried about is hairloss! Hoping this will not happen when the dosage is somewhat low.

Let me know in the comments if you have any questions or advice. I will keep posting updates and although it will probably be a difficult 6 months, hopefully it will be an amazing journey towards clear skin!

- Lemon

MemberMember
(@lemonade)

Posted : 01/22/2016 3:34 am

6 hours ago, Chloe123 said:

Hey girl, we're the same height, weight & have the same degree of acne! Thats awesome! I'll be following your log. <3

btw, is your perscription 30 pills or 60? cause my one says that theres 60 pills in it, so im guessing i need to take a blood test every 2 months? weird.

Wow that is amazing! Please follow the log and maybe do entries as well! Would be so helpful to be able to compare situations, side effects etc.
I think my prescription is 50 pills, but I need to go to the lab every month and take blood tests or it wont be renewed. Maybe you have to take 2 pills daily?
When do you start?

MemberMember
(@lemonade)

Posted : 01/22/2016 3:57 am

3rd day onA few new pimples have appeared

• Fatigue, slight headache still
  • Drinking a LOT of water, but it still doesn't feel like I am drinking enough.
  • Skin feeling tight, but could be due to weather (snow and -10 degrees).
  • Dry red eyes. This is quite annoying as it makes me look very tired. Will purchase some eyedrops and see if that helps!
    MemberMember
    (@lemonade)

Posted : 01/22/2016 7:27 pm

15 hours ago, Chloe123 said:
    Nope. It says 60 pills, once a day. I think my blood tests every two months! Where are you from? In Australia packs come in 60 pills. :/

I am from Denmark, so that might explain why the packaging is different 🙂

MemberMember
    (@lemonade)

Posted : 01/25/2016 8:00 am

UPDATE:
    Spent the weekend in a cabin in Sweden. Lots of snow and cold weather which did not really help my skin. Also I had some alcohol both Friday and Saturday..
    Headaches are gone! Only lasted the first couple of days. Still trying to drink as much water as possible.

6th day on isotretinoin

• Skin is getting pretty dry
    • Lips are dry and a bit sore
    • New spots are still appearing, although the overall complexion is looking better.
    MemberMember
    (@lemonade)

Posted : 01/26/2016 4:21 am

DONE WITH MY FIRST WEEK! 🙂

Feeling a lot better! Still dry lips and redness to the skin, but apart from a breakout on my left jawline, I am not getting any new spots and my face is pretty clear overall.

YAY, feeling positive about this!

- Lemon

MemberMember
    (@jones4545)

Posted : 01/26/2016 12:24 pm

I wouldnt use the moisturizer until you need it. My skin was actually more oily than normal for the first 2 weeks. There are also some people who never get dry skin. So hold off on the moisturizer until you need it. It will probably happen really fast.

MemberMember
    (@lemonade)

Posted : 01/29/2016 5:15 am

On 1/26/2016 at 10:55 AM, Chloe123 said:

Is your skin dry at all? cause i bought the cetaphil moisturiser and my skin isnt dry yet and i feel like i wasted my money lmao

On 1/26/2016 at 6:24 PM, Jones4545 said:

I wouldnt use the moisturizer until you need it. My skin was actually more oily than normal for the first 2 weeks. There are also some people who never get dry skin. So hold off on the moisturizer until you need it. It will probably happen really fast.

I agree with Jones4545
    I'm sure you'll need it at some point, so just wait until then 🙂
    My skin became very dry from the beginning, but my skin tends to be dry and the climate here doesn't exactly help!
    My scalp is getting so dry and it is so itchy! If anyone has any advice, please let me know!
    I use a gentle perfume free shampoo, coconut oil hairmask (also on the scalp), taking short showers without the water being too hot. I don't know what else to do..

MemberMember
    (@lemonade)

Posted : 02/03/2016 3:38 am

Done with 2 weeks of accutane!
    My skin is very dry and is still breaking out a little. However, it has a different glow about it!
    My scalp is still itching like crazy - any advice is very very welcome.
    Also, I've noticed my eyebrows are thinning. I am used to having quite full eyebrows, so it looks weird.
    I've taken a pic so you guys can see what I mean.. Warning: Extremely pale-skinned person 

I've read that coconut oil helps - any other advice?

IMG_6645.PNG

MemberMember
    (@jones4545)

Posted : 02/03/2016 10:04 am

I'm in the same boat with the dry itchy scalp. Mine also is having pretty bad dandruff. I have been using head and shoulders shampoo conditioner mix with has helped a little, but I think I need to do like a scalp treatment with oil or something.

MemberMember
    (@lemonade)

Posted : 02/03/2016 10:31 am

23 minutes ago, Jones4545 said:

I'm in the same boat with the dry itchy scalp. Mine also is having pretty bad dandruff. I have been using head and shoulders shampoo conditioner mix with has helped a little, but I think I need to do like a scalp treatment with oil or something.

For some reason I don't have any dandruff (yet).. I just tried to cover my hair and scalp in coconut oil and left it there for a couple of hours. It wasn't exactly comfortable to wear, but I was at home writing an exam anyways, so it didn't bother me that much. After I've taken a shower it has really helped. I don't know about in the long run. But it did get rid of most of the itchiness! I'll let you know if it lasts more than a couple of hours 🙂

MemberMember
    (@jones4545)

Posted : 02/03/2016 11:50 am

Ok, I just got back form the dermatologist and he recommended something called "Scalpicin" for itchy scalp while on accutane. Its over the counter. He said its the best thing. I hope this helps.

MemberMember
    (@colorcereal)

Posted : 02/03/2016 10:35 pm

On January 22, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Chloe123 said:

Hey girl, we're the same height, weight & have the same degree of acne! Thats awesome! I'll be following your log. <3

btw, is your perscription 30 pills or 60? cause my one says that theres 60 pills in it, so im guessing i need to take a blood test every 2 months? weird.

You'll probably be taking it twice a day then because don't you have to get blood work every single month ? I get 70 pills a month too but I take it twice a day

Just now, ColorCereal said:
    On January 22, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Chloe123 said:

You'll probably be taking it twice a day then because don't you have to get blood work every single month ? I get 70 pills a month too but I take it twice a day

I meant to say 60 pills sorry