Notifications
Clear all

Acnotin (Isotretinoin) 20mg

MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 01/19/2016 11:46 pm

Day 1 of 20mg/day!!!!

I am apprehensive but optimistic about the medication. It has been hell for me for the past 6 months. What started off as on/off cystic acne on my jaw has turned into a full blown breakout on my jawline and cheeks. Every time when it seems like my skin is getting better, it will come out with a few more cystic acne overnight.

I was really depressed and tried everything OTC (creams, gels, cleanser) and spent so much but never thought of seeing a doctor until my mom gently "prod" me to see a dermatologist.

I am now starting on 20mg per day as Dr said my acne is not that severe (but honestly to me it's disgustingly severe). I should be looking at a 6-8 months period on Acnotin.

Can I use this thread to update my journey? Also, will appreciate some advice on what to look out for. I am also terrified of initial breakouts.

Wish me luck!

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 01/20/2016 10:26 am

Spend some time and read through a lot of logs here. Most will start out exactly the same as yours does (yes, you can post here as often as you want). Expect to have dry skin, and expect things to get worse before they get better. This could mean, 1 week, 2 weeks, or 3 months. But remember, things will get better. Everyone starts out the same, scared of the initial breakout, but after a few weeks most people's only regret is that they didn't take the drug sooner.

2 biggest tips,

Cetaphil moisturizer
Aquafor lip repair

michteo liked
MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 01/20/2016 10:53 am

- Drink plenty of water
- Don't expect results on a short-term, that's why you have to take the medicine for 6-8 months. We react differently to the medicine, some of us have an IB, some of us don't. Some people clear up in the first month, some have breakouts even in their 5th month.
- Take your medicine at the same hours (roughly) every day and take it with a big meal with some fatty foods (I personally have a piece of toast with butter and one with salmon and butter). The Isotretinoin absorbs better with fatty food.
- Wash your face two times a day, that's optimal. Some studies have shown that people with acne that wash their face more than 2 times a day, are healing slower than the people washing their face 2 times a day.
- Don't stress about the side effects, just ignore them as much as possible. And don't stress in general.
- Carry lip balm and use it as much as you can, if you feel the need. You don't want your lips cracking.
- Ask your derm about any other medicine or supplements you might take, some of then don't mix well with Isotretinoin

Good luck!

michteo and Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 01/21/2016 3:54 am

Thank you so much!! This is very helpful!

Day 2 on meds. Obviously I'm not expecting anything much to be different from yesterday.

However, I had migraines both yesterday and today. Not sure if this is a coincidence or its due to the meds.

Does anyone else faces headaches/migraines with this medication? If so, is there any way to stop the migraines?

MemberMember
(@lemonade)

Posted : 01/21/2016 6:43 am

My second day on 20mg as well. I haven't been experiencing full blown migraines, but have had a headache since a few hours after taking the first pill.

michteo liked
MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 01/21/2016 6:47 am

Had a few headaches (and my stomach hurt a bit too) when I first started to take the medicine, but I didn't take anything to make it go away. You can take some Ibuprofen if it's really bothering you, but most likely the headaches will stop after a few days on the medicine.

michteo liked
MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 01/21/2016 3:02 pm

8 hours ago, Lemonade said:

My second day on 20mg as well. I haven't been experiencing full blown migraines, but have had a headache since a few hours after taking the first pill.

Day 2 too! Fingers crossed for us, for a smooth journey with great skin to come.

8 hours ago, Andrei11 said:

Had a few headaches (and my stomach hurt a bit too) when I first started to take the medicine, but I didn't take anything to make it go away. You can take some Ibuprofen if it's really bothering you, but most likely the headaches will stop after a few days on the medicine.

I really hope this wouldn't be a long term thing. I'm very prone to migraines so it was a shocker to get it 2 days in a row right after I took my acne medication..

I mean I would still live with it if it means getting better skin, but I really would prefer not to as my migraines are most of the time debilitating.

I gave in and took my usual naproxen sodium.. 30 mins later the relief from the pain was heavenly...........

Lets st see how this pans out!

Andrei11 liked
MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 01/22/2016 1:38 am

4 hours ago, Chloe123 said:

Good luck! Got my prescription today and starting on monday also at 20mg! My derm told me that if you dont have a terrible reaction in the first 16 hours it means that you're not allergic, and your body isnt rejecting the medicine. So far so good!

Ahh.. good luck to us!

I didn't realise how acne severely impacts one's self esteem until I was inflicted. I felt like I couldn't look anybody in the eyes and I felt like people I talk to are staring at my skin when they probably werent.

Not sure if my headaches are signs of an allergic reaction but aside from that, nothing much happened. In fact, my daily routine of popping out new mini cysts stopped. Too early to say? Should I not be jinxing it?? lol... All the best!

MemberMember
(@lemonade)

Posted : 01/22/2016 3:27 am

12 hours ago, michteo said:
Day 2 too! Fingers crossed for us, for a smooth journey with great skin to come. 
I really hope this wouldn't be a long term thing. I'm very prone to migraines so it was a shocker to get it 2 days in a row right after I took my acne medication.. 

I mean I would still live with it if it means getting better skin, but I really would prefer not to as my migraines are most of the time debilitating.

I gave in and took my usual naproxen sodium.. 30 mins later the relief from the pain was heavenly........... 

Lets st see how this pans out!

One thing I've learned the past couple of days, is that you simply cannot drink too much water. I don't know if that might be what is causing my headaches? I usually stay hydrated throughout the day, however, since taking the meds I can feel like my body is just craving more water! I wake up feeling so dry in my mouth and my eyes. At least it really feels like my body is working hard! 
Yes, fingers crossed and I hope your migraines were just coincidental and wont be back :) Keep us posted!

michteo liked
MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 01/24/2016 9:53 am

Day 5!

The migraines stopped appearing after day 3 (thank god).

Starting to feel dry mouth (Urgh borderline bad breath is freaking me out). Other than drinking more water is there anything else I can do?

Facewise, I think it's too early to say. BUT. No daily new cystic bumps, the first time in months.

My current scars are turning reddish and honestly quite unsightly. Oh well, nothing a good concealer can't do. Face feels more "fragile" than usual.

Face still looks like a mess. I look back at pictures of myself 1 year ago and I feel a pang in my heart.... :(

Trudging on!

MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 01/27/2016 1:34 am

Day 7!

Face feels really rough and dryer than usual, I need a proper moisturizer but I am afraid Cetaphil might be too thick (I live in a humid country).
The rest of my body feels dry and let's not even talk about my lips.

Another thing I didn't realise was the joint pain. My shoulders and arms are aching so bad! I thought it was some other reasons (bad posture, too much driving etc.) but it got quite bad past few days.

All in all, little mini breakouts. Smaller cystic acne than usual. Skin flaring up but going away quicker.

MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 01/31/2016 9:40 pm

Question!!

Is is it okay to take birth control pills like Yasmin while I'm on Accutane??

I am a bit wary as I don't want to risk getting pregnant, so would like to have an additional form of birth control.

Does anyone knows?

MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 02/21/2016 4:22 am

Day 31-32 ish...

Am having horrible initial breakout. Started around day 20 when I was on vacation (!!!). My chin broke out in horrible cysts, about 5-6. And then it spread to my cheek.

Now my chin is healing sort of but my left cheek is the worst ever. I didn't use to have breakouts at my cheeks before... Ever!!

This is making me depressed but I read somewhere that it coming all out now is good because better now then next time..

I really hope so. Had my first month review with Doctor couple days back and he practically promised me that by the second month everything will sort out by itself.

Im so ugly now!!! I hate to pile on make up but I can't don't cover up when I go to work.

Zero motivation to go to social events, I can't even look at people in the eye.

Melodramatic much? Can't help it.

Nonetheless I remain optimistic because I can't bear the thought of it not working in the end.

Good luck to me and everyone else!

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 02/21/2016 12:12 pm

On 01/02/2016 at 2:40 AM, michteo said:

Question!!

Is is it okay to take birth control pills like Yasmin while I'm on Accutane??

I am a bit wary as I don't want to risk getting pregnant, so would like to have an additional form of birth control.

Does anyone knows?

I see you asked this a while ago, but I'll answer it now anyway. Yes!! It is ok to take birth control pills while on accutane. In several countries women are often required to have been taking birth control pills (or have implant etc) for at least one month before starting accutane, so as to minimise the risk of pregnancy.
Sorry to hear you are breaking out now! I know it takes time to see the good results, so hang in there! And don't worry, I think we acne sufferers can all be a bit melodramatic on occasion!

MemberMember
(@jane1986)

Posted : 03/21/2016 10:11 pm

Day 31-32 ish...

Am having horrible initial breakout. Started around day 20 when I was on vacation (!!!). My chin broke out in horrible cysts, about 5-6. And then it spread to my cheek.

Now my chin is healing sort of but my left cheek is the worst ever. I didn't use to have breakouts at my cheeks before... Ever!!

This is making me depressed but I read somewhere that it coming all out now is good because better now then next time..

I really hope so. Had my first month review with Doctor couple days back and he practically promised me that by the second month everything will sort out by itself.

Im so ugly now!!! I hate to pile on make up but I can't don't cover up when I go to work.

Nonetheless I remain optimistic because I can't bear the thought of it not working in the end.

>> Day 31-32..
What is happening to you was the same with me. March 21, 2016 is my 31 days with acnotin 20 and Im so depress now. Im thinking to discontinue the medication. Im so afraid that it will become worsen. and it really hard for me to go to social events.!!!

Please update me with your 2nd month of Acnotin 20. By reading your post I have in doubt now to discontinue the medication.

Thank you and God bless to us.....

MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 03/23/2016 3:41 am

Thank you for your kind words!
I am hanging in there!

MemberMember
(@jane1986)

Posted : 03/24/2016 12:03 am

May I know what happened now to your skin? Thanks

MemberMember
(@michteo)

Posted : 03/28/2016 6:13 am

On 3/22/2016 at 11:11 AM, Jane1986 said:

Day 31-32 ish... 

>> Day 31-32..
What is happening to you was the same with me. March 21, 2016 is my 31 days with acnotin 20 and Im so depress now. Im thinking to discontinue the medication. Im so afraid that it will become worsen. and it really hard for me to go to social events.!!!

Please update me with your 2nd month of Acnotin 20. By reading your post I have in doubt now to discontinue the medication.

Thank you and God bless to us.....

Hello! 

I typed a super long reply the other day but got cut off by the network :(

Anyway, here's my updates again. 

I am midway into my 3rd month right now. Right now, my initial breakouts has mostly cleared up but I still have maybe 2-3 small cystic ache here and there. Compare to 2 months ago, it is a HUGE improvement. Especially my chin area, it is no longer bumpy. But oh the scars!! I rather take the dark scars which i believe will slowly fade one day, than my bumpy skin from 2 months ago.

However, when I went for my 2nd month review, my doctor was not satisfied with the speed that ym acne was clearing up. He told me that based on 90% of his patients in our country, they all usually clear up by the 2nd month with no break outs. So, from my current 3rd month onwards, I am increased from 20mg/day to 30mg/day ( one 20mg pill + one 10mg pill). Not much difference in the past 2 weeks, but skin seems somewhat stable.

The only thing I have to deal with (hopefully) from now on is the scars. They are very red as typical of people on isotretinoin, so it's quite unsightly. But  But nothing can't be covered up with a bit of concealor, and I hope they will fade soon. 

I really really think that you should not discontinue the medication! It will be waste of your $$ for the first 2 months (its not cheap from where I am from). Since you are only in your 1st month, I think initial breakout is really normal. I understand how sucky it is, but would you rather hang on for a while more and get results, than to deal with this for the rest of your life? After researching online and told by my doctor, it seems that Accutane really have a high success rate. Have faith in this!

Anyway, the summary is my skin did get better after the last initial breakouts. Please have hope and try this for at least a while more. I think you can voice your concerns to your doctor and see if you need to increase your dosage.

Good luck and don't stress too much because it might affect your skin even more. All the best! 🙂

MemberMember
(@zzz122)

Posted : 12/30/2017 12:17 pm

How is it now?? I really need clear advice...