Isotrex

MemberMember
(@clareb78)

Posted : 01/19/2016 4:55 pm

Anyone using isotrex? I've been using epiduo for about 8 months it's good but not the miracle I was hoping for... Derm switched me to isotrex which I pick up tomorrow. Does it helps with the oiliness? I don't find the doxy or epiduo does *grabs yet another paper towel for blotting purposes* !! Tia x X

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 01/20/2016 12:46 pm

No, Isotrex doesn't help with oiliness. It can be quite drying when you first put it on, but the oiliness soon creeps back.

Personally, I didn't have any joy with Isotrex or Isotrexin. My skin was at its worst when I used them, though, so I doubt anything would have helped.

All you can do is try it and see how you get on. If it doesn't work then try something else.

MemberMember
(@clareb78)

Posted : 01/20/2016 4:47 pm

Thanks X as usual im not expecting much!! X

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 01/21/2016 2:18 am

Hey Clareb78

Isotrex contains a different type of retinoic acid to Epiduo, so while the odds aren't exactly in your favour - considering you found no results with Epiduo, Isotrex targets different RAR (retinoic acid receptors). I believe Epiduo only targets one nucleic RAR and Isotrex targets two of these. Essentially what I am saying is that they do have different effects on the skin, and I have read plenty of reviews about people have little to no luck on one retinoid and great on another. 
So while you might feel as if it's just another retinoid and you will just have the same results, not all is lost.

As for oiliness, in my opinion, unlikely. Maybe it would be worth looking into something else to help with this. Obviously not something drastic like starting the oil cleansing method or buying a proactiv kit, but try out some of the little things which are fairly commonly praised around the board like green tea, vitamin D3 and using peppermint oil as a topical. Just be careful with using topicals while on a retinoid, as you probably know.

Hopefully I helped a little :) x

MemberMember
(@clareb78)

Posted : 01/21/2016 4:37 am

Thanks X yeah I've tried literally everything topical and anti biotics wise. I had a round of accutane about 13 yrs ago and I think it's the only thing left to try that will have any results! Going back to derm in 4 months and I'm thinking the options have run out so hopefully I'll get another course he wasn't keen when I saw him this week.... Luck of the draw with derms I think some would have let me try it again but this one is a bit stubborn!! However I appreciate they want to try all the other options first X he said he thought it would help with oiliness but I'm not convinced one bit!! I put more stock in people's real experiences so 4 months of trying it which is reasonable and we shall see!! X

MemberMember
(@clareb78)

Posted : 02/14/2016 6:03 am

Just a quick update....isotrex sucks!! Less oily and helps to clear the spots up quicker than if I wasn't using anything but that's it! I'm pickled at the mo and feel like crap about it I think the doxy has even stopped having a positive effect (not that it does much anyway) currently covered in the whole top half of my body neck and face but guaranteed the day when I go back to derm I'll be having one of those almost clear days and get fobbed off again!! Sorry more of a rant than an update grrrrrr!! Got two weddings coming up in gonna look a right stunner in a turtle neck ffs!!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 05/16/2016 3:09 am

Hey are you still using Isotrex?

MemberMember
(@clareb78)

Posted : 05/16/2016 3:18 pm

Hi! No fortunately I got on accutane... 6 weeks in and it's working like a charm (yey) I think Epiduo is better but it left my skin oily still, the isotrex dried it out a bit but only for a week and then it was breakout central (boo) with everything I say try it because everyone's different X are you using it? Best of luck X x

MemberMember
(@lpx)

Posted : 05/17/2016 7:34 pm

I'm currently using Isotrex, but I just found that it dried my skin out horribly and I also developed lots of little white spots that i never had before :/ it also really stings my face, but my skin is pretty sensitive... I'm thinking of giving up on the isotrex and asking dr for something else... Is epiduo a similar product? I've never heard of it before?... 

MemberMember
(@clareb78)

Posted : 05/18/2016 10:19 am

Yes I had the same! With retinoids it can cause an initial breakout and always best to keep at it for a good 3 months or so but isotrex just didn't kick in for me. Epiduo is slightly different although still a retinoid I think it has slightly different ingredients. It's not as drying but I found it better at healing X

Just a thought maybe ask your gp for doxycycline antibiotics to go along side Epiduo that can be a good combination for some people X X