Notifications
Clear all

Accutane, on the fence

MemberMember
(@sundae112)

Posted : 01/18/2016 2:07 am

Hey All,
I am 25/ female and weigh around 168 lbs. I have mild acne. Used to have severe acne. I have a lot of white head and black heads and get big pimples two-three time a month. I have oily skin with huge open pores and scars.
I have been reading a lot about Accutane. I am getting married July 2nd this year, and having a good skin has always been a dream. So i finally bit the bullet and went to my dermatologist who prescribed me accutane 40 mg for two months. She says I will not need for more than that duration. From my understanding I need to be on it for at least 6 months to really reap the benefits of going on this. She also prescribed azithromycin 20 mg every other day for 2 months.
I am second guessing her, and want to know if it is safe to start medication so close to my wedding day!
Oh and I run on the treadmill for around 90 min everyday, will I be able to do this on accutane?

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 01/18/2016 11:13 am

Do you live in the US? That's not common here, most people go on a 4-7 month cycle. There is an accumulative dose that you need to get to to make sure your acne stays away. I would get a second opinion, but start the pills now. July is plenty of time for your acne to heal up.

MemberMember
(@sundae112)

Posted : 01/27/2016 12:22 am

Thank you for your replies, I do not live in USA, I live in Pakistan where you don't really need a prescription for many drugs. I am going in for second consult to another dermatologist. Have not started accutane yet.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 02/02/2016 5:01 pm

With only two months on Accutane, I would guess that it could possibly make your skin worse since this is when initial break out "purging" happens... between 1-2 months. I wouldn't risk it to be honest. I would recommend Ortho tric cyclen lo birth control and spironolactone for 6 months. Many women clear up with the combination of the two (I did for many years). Best wishes and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Having clear skin was my ultimate goal for our wedding and it happened with those two things.