Notifications
Clear all

How to get rid off white closed COMEDONES?

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 01/17/2016 11:52 pm

Alrighty, i'll get straight to the point. I have white closed comedones near my chin. I've had them since a LOONG time ago. Can't even remember when I got them. I am a teenage male if that makes any difference (doubt it lol). Luckily that's the only area I have/get this type of acne.

So so my question, is how do you get rid of them? Is extraction by a dermatologist the only way? (I've heard some people say this so yeah...) Does exfoliating against these things really work? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 01/20/2016 10:49 pm

Nobody has replied yet but let me give people who are reading this an update...

I have decided that enough is enough and I called my dermatologist on what to do to get rid of these nasty things. :(
They have decided that professional extraction by them is the best way to go. They're going to extract them for me and honestly, I am very happy about this! Soon, these nasty buggers will be gone after soo long and I'll be much happier again! :D They're also going to give me a cream after the extraction that will either prevent or treat future comedones as well. I don't know the name of the cream so I'll update you later. Well, I'll post again whenever I go and finally get them removed. Can't wait! :D

-John- and Jazzguy liked
MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 01/23/2016 7:08 pm

Well, I called my dermatologist and had to leave a message about what days I was free to set an appointment on this past Thursday. And guess what, that still haven't called back. :( They don't work on the weekend but the fact that they didn't call me back yesterday concerns me a bit.  Oh well, hopefully they were just busy and call me back this Monday cause the sooner I get rid of these things, the better. If they don't, I'll have to call back and remind them about my message on Monday... We'll see what happens. I'll update you guys with new info about my situation probably on Monday or Tuesday. *Sigh*, I don't even have an appointment yet, hopefully soon I will. 

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 01/26/2016 2:06 am

Well, today was a good day! They called me back and told me that this Thursday would be free for me. And well, looks like that is the day that I'll finally have these annoyances taken off of me! :D I will update you guys either this Thursday or Friday on my experiences with my first comedone extraction and tell you more stuff. See ya soon! :)

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 01/26/2016 5:19 pm

I'd like to know how this goes. I'm also wondering what the doc "officially" describes them as. Have you tried any keratolytic (keratin/dead skin cell dissolving) treatments on them?

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 01/27/2016 4:37 pm

23 hours ago, Luna878 said:

I'd like to know how this goes. I'm also wondering what the doc "officially" describes them as. Have you tried any keratolytic (keratin/dead skin cell dissolving) treatments on them? 

Hopefully it goes well! :) and me too actually. I'm 90% sure these are comedones but I guess I'll find out tomorrow for sure. And no, I haven't.

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 01/28/2016 9:34 am

Well, today is the day! Straight after school, I'm going on a Uber straight to the hospital to get these removed. I'm a little nervous for many reasons but the main one is the fact that I'm going alone to a hospital that's like 40 mins away from my home. I've been there before but never alone. Let's see how this goes lol. Update you guys probably tomorrow since I'll probably be extremely tired today when I come back since I'll go to school for like 8 hours (still in High school), and then go to the hospital for 3-4 hours of my day, and finally come back. -_- C Y'all later and I hope it all goes well! :) 

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 01/28/2016 8:51 pm

Well, it went pretty bad unfortunately. :( They told me that the comedones were either tiny raised acne scars or were way too deep for extraction... So in other words, going there was mostly kinda a fail and waste of time. They recommended me to put retin a on them, what do you guys think about this? Also, I talked about my acne scarring on my forehead and temples and it was hard... I even cried a bit. They suggested I get some counseling for my physiological health. I'm not depressed, at least not all the time. And while I'm sure that would help somewhat, improving my skin would help even more. In other words, taking steps in reducing my acne scars would help my mental health more than anything. I'm going to start dermarollibg soon in hopes of seeing at least small improvements. Later (could be this year, next year, idk when), I'll get some laser treatments for my face....

but it going back to the comedones, this visit was a waste of time and money. But worst of all, it was a battle lost against acne. But the war is not over, I will somehow get rid of these things and improve my acne scarring significantly sooner or later. I must stay strong. Besides, most people don't even notice this stuff. Thanks for listening to my story. I know I am not alone. One day this nightmare will be better. Thanks guys. :')

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 01/30/2016 7:04 pm

Yo! Let's just say that I'm feeling better now. :) I was very disappointed that day but here I am again, much happier. I've used  retin a just once on my closed comedones and I think, THINK, that they have gotten a tad smaller... I will keep using the retin a every other day on the area with comedones. Let's hope it works. :) 

DeLovely and Luna878 liked
MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 02/01/2016 10:50 pm

What are they actually called? I have them on my chin and they always seem to come right back after extraction.

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 02/03/2016 2:41 am

On February 2, 2016 at 7:50 PM, holdingontohope said:

What are they actually called? I have them on my chin and they always seem to come right back after extraction.

90% sure they're called "closed comedones".

MemberMember
(@bitters)

Posted : 02/04/2016 12:29 am

So long story short, I have bad acne and I get cold sores. I started taking L Lysine for cold sores and my face cleared up. I didn't get the connection at first because I changed makeup and got new face wash but I stopped taking L-Lysine, my acne returned. Then I started L Lysine again and the acne went away. Just stop using all the harsh chemicals and try it.Its in the vitamin section. let me know if it works for you

MemberMember
(@charliebrown)

Posted : 02/06/2016 4:30 pm

Wow, that really sucks :(
I'm really looking forward to a derm appt in three weeks time hopefully getting onto some stronger medication or cream THAT WILL ACTUALLY WORK!! I'm trying not to get myself too pumped so I'm not let down like what happened to you but it's hard. 
I'm in high school as well, and I know how it feels!! I swear on my life I'm the only other girl in my whole grade who has acne at all let alone moderate acne. I know there are people way worse than me but it's ok to get a bit sad sometimes. It really plummets your self esteem. 

MemberMember
(@coolperson123)

Posted : 02/08/2016 10:50 pm

On February 4, 2016 at 9:29 PM, bitters said:

So long story short, I have bad acne and I get cold sores. I started taking L Lysine for cold sores and my face cleared up. I didn't get the connection at first because I changed makeup and got new face wash but I stopped taking L-Lysine, my acne returned. Then I started L Lysine again and the acne went away. Just stop using all the harsh chemicals and try it.Its in the vitamin section. let me know if it works for you

Sounds awesome! Unfortunately, I don't have cold sores right now, I have closed comedones. :/ But, thanks anyways! I'll keep this regimen in mind if I ever get cold sores! :) 

On February 6, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Charliebrown said:

Wow, that really sucks :(
I'm really looking forward to a derm appt in three weeks time hopefully getting onto some stronger medication or cream THAT WILL ACTUALLY WORK!! I'm trying not to get myself too pumped so I'm not let down like what happened to you but it's hard. 
I'm in high school as well, and I know how it feels!! I swear on my life I'm the only other girl in my whole grade who has acne at all let alone moderate acne. I know there are people way worse than me but it's ok to get a bit sad sometimes. It really plummets your self esteem. 

Hey! Good to hear from someone around my age who can relate a lot more with my struggles. I feel your pain. Luckily for me, there are plenty of people with bad acne at my school and I'm a guy so it's not really a shocker for a dude to have crappier skin in society if that makes sense. :/ Despite guys not espected to look perfect, I still get a little sad sometimes about my skin. I think it's because I just want to look more normal tbh. :/ But regarding you, stay strong! Your closed comedones are probably more surfaced than mine and I'm sure they'll give you retin a or something else to gradually reduce/remove them. :) If not, don't worry, there are many people out there who look at people like you and I normally! You seem like you have plenty strength to carry on, that's good. Keep it up and keep going forward. Let us know what happens here after the appointment and best of luck. :) 

MemberMember
(@calix)

Posted : 05/02/2016 10:44 pm

Hi I was wondering if you have any updates on your closed comedones

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/19/2016 1:46 pm

I'm looking for a solution to closed comedones and blackheads. On top of having cystic acne, I can't seem to control these. Just want a partial clear face at least!

Problem is I try so many things and never for enough time. At one point, I think I used acv on my nose and my blackheads did shrink. Will experiment again and let you know.