Notifications
Clear all

Yet another folliculitis question.. bacterial or fungal?

MemberMember
(@johnny28)

Posted : 01/17/2016 5:33 am

So my past acne is gone and I've been 99.9% clear on my face for the past years mostly using good cleansing and Epiduo but,
I can't seem to get rid of those stubborn red bumps on my neck/upper chest and occasionally back. I pretty much self-diagnosed this as folliculitis but how do you know if it's bacterial or fungal?
I know that antibiotics will clear it short-term but this will always come back. The worst part is the scalp's hairline with big red bumps. The skin there is quite itchy as well. It can actually itch the worst just before a breakout.
What I tried; head&shoulders shampoo as body wash for a year now. Once or twice a week antibacterial soap (hibiclens generic product) and a sulphur/salicylic acid shampoo. I also use a probiotic but will upp the dose now a little.
I would bet it's fungal but, I have dry skin and every doc says fungal folliculitis is rare..plus all the pics I've seen the bumps are many in numbers while I only get 1-5 at any given time. I have however suffered a lot from jock itch in my groin area even if it's been a while since the last case. I was considering candida but I eat little sugar and dairy (lactose intolerant) and have no cravings for sugar to speak of.
What can I do to get the cause? Already seen a few derms but they think my case is mild and can really not tell the cause..

MemberMember
(@johnny28)

Posted : 01/18/2016 12:57 pm

Not in the best mood now; got to see the doc today and was basically told it was a mild case of bacterial folliculitis and that it was too mild to warrant any prescribed treatment..
I did get a topical fusidic acid ointment to use in my nose to see if I can get rid of any staph hiding there which I suspect might be the cause. However I've already ordered neosporin online and will switch once I get that.
I also got topical clindamycin solution. Thinking of using any of the two as a localized treatment of the infections. Which one you think is better?

MemberMember
(@concernedengineer)

Posted : 01/18/2016 5:12 pm

I don't know if what I'm getting on my chest of bacterial or fungal folliculitis. Or of its folliculitis at all. I went to the dermatologist and I didn't have a break out at the time so she just sent me on my merry way with Clindamycin Phosphate gel. I put it on at night and the next morning I had even more breakouts. Just a warning on the Clindamycin. i don't know if we're on the same boat with the breakouts since their aren't any pics but it sounds similar.

MemberMember
(@johnny28)

Posted : 01/18/2016 5:24 pm

If it's a gel then it may be clogging.. the topical solution I got is clear liquid so no way it could cause a breakout unless you would be allergic or so..
Anyway, as a preventive measure I'll stick with the antibacterial soap and the ointment and see where that takes me.

MemberMember
(@cabobrett)

Posted : 05/24/2018 1:06 am

I too had fungal foliculitus on my chest. It was maddening. For years I treated it like acne with salacylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, exfoliant, etc. none of which seemed to help.

When I read about fungal folliculitus I tried a combination of Nizoral shampoo and twice daily application of various over the counter anti-fungals for athletes foot. I also continued to exfoliate assuming it would make the other medications more effective. While it was very slow to respond, I was eventually able to get it under control.

My concern now... do I continue the treatment indefinitely to prevent recurrence or have I restored skin flora equilibrium? I dont seem to have any side effects but I worry what long term use of anti-fungals will do.

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 05/24/2018 6:19 am

ive also sometimes get foliculitus type breakouts on my chest and back. like you, ive tried anti-fungal creams, nizoral, Head and shoulders etc, with limited success. it seems the only time it calms down and goes away is when i do nothing. - no creams and using no soaps/washes when showering.

one thing i recently read was that soap detergent can sometimes trigger folliculitis breakouts(?)