Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skrispies

Accutane and age?

I'm not currently on Accutane but I've been considering it. First I'll need to graduate from school and get a decent job with good health insurance. Then I'll decide. My question is this though... I've heard that the side effects of Accutane are magnified when you are older. I'm 30 and am wondering about this possibility. I'm not ancient or anything, but I've heard it's more helpful/less damaging for adolescents and that there are more dangers for people signifacantly past their teen years. Any ideas? Has anyone heard anything?

I am twenty-seven. I will admit that I had similiar concerns before going on Accutane since I'm not a teenager. I believed that my skin would dry out more than someone who was ten years younger than me but I haven't noticed that happening. I think it depends on your overall health and genetics more than anything.

I'm 28 and taking a low dose tane and I haven't noticed any pronounced side effects since taking my first course which was when I was a teenager. I think as long as your overall health is good then it shouldn't make much of a difference. Try and stay away from too much booze, stay hydrated and use a SPF moisuriser in the day. I don't even really moisturise my skin in the evening as I think it works better just letting your skin breath product-free.

The only side effect is that my skin is alot drier and flakier than normal but that's a godsend for someone who used to have to use oil blotting papers every half an hour!

I am also a little worried about my current state. Like, literally. I'm in Utah now and my lips are always dry regardless. The humidity here is a pretty constant ZERO. Hopefully if I go on Accutane I'll be in a less dry place like Michigan.

I asked my Dr. and she said it doesn't matter what your age is, but it all depends on the individual.

If anyone has heard otherwise I'd like to hear about it. In any case, I will be finding out soon assuming my lab work comes back okay.