Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane causing large sebaceous cysts

MemberMember
(@lavey)

Posted : 01/16/2016 2:48 pm

Commenced Roaccutane 30 mg daily 8 weeks ago for moderate acne, from week 2 I developed really large sebaceous cysts which I still have. Seen my Dermatology Nurse end of December 15 who increased Roaccutane to 50 mg daily. I explained that I was developing these cysts but her answer was my skin will get worse before it gets better (but how much worse). Seen my Dr also last week who prescribed Erythromycin 250 mg twice daily to try and calm cysts down (no improvement). So in desperation I booked a private Dermatologist Appointment this morning who advised me to take oral steriods 30 mg x 5 days, 20 mg x 5 days and 10 mg x 5 days and stop Roaccutane. Advised that I re-start Roaccutane 10 mg after oral steriods are completed. So confused about everything, any advice please.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/16/2016 4:57 pm

First off, I am so sorry you're going through this. People respond differently to accutane and the breaking out in the first few months can sometimes be devastating. Definitely talk to your prescribing doc about your concerns. I would not recommend consulting with two doctors as other meds can interfere with the potency of accutane or cause adverse reactions. Keep us posted

MemberMember
(@leilei)

Posted : 01/17/2016 12:42 am

9 hours ago, LAVEY said:

Commenced Roaccutane 30 mg daily 8 weeks ago for moderate acne, from week 2 I developed really large sebaceous cysts which I still have. Seen my Dermatology Nurse end of December 15 who increased Roaccutane to 50 mg daily. I explained that I was developing these cysts but her answer was my skin will get worse before it gets better (but how much worse). Seen my Dr also last week who prescribed Erythromycin 250 mg twice daily to try and calm cysts down (no improvement). So in desperation I booked a private Dermatologist Appointment this morning who advised me to take oral steriods 30 mg x 5 days, 20 mg x 5 days and 10 mg x 5 days and stop Roaccutane. Advised that I re-start Roaccutane 10 mg after oral steriods are completed. So confused about everything, any advice please.

Hey, you are not alone. A lot of us are passing through serious acne. i can only say please stay with one derm. Before doing anything do a little research about if the skin does go like that at the beginning of this treatment.

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 01/17/2016 1:22 am

Sorry for your troubles. Initial breakout is pretty common and severe for some people. The other posts are right about staying with your original Doctor. Steroids can be injected at the cyst itself if it is very inflamed. Erythromycin is not that great. Amoxicillin and co-trimoxazole (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole) are far more effective and not contradicted with accutane. I would just continue with the accutane, and ask about a different antibiotic.
good luck

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 01/17/2016 8:40 pm

Same thing happened to me on accutane. The cysts were huge and painful. You're always welcome to run your concerns by your derm, but this was totally normal for me on the drug.