Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl peroxide....best method??

MemberMember
(@frustrated1985)

Posted : 01/15/2016 3:49 pm

Ok so I'm recently started to use a benzoyl peroxide wash for my back. It's called panoxyl and it contains benzoyl peroxide at 4.5%....is this a good strength to use ? I've been using it for about a week now and its begun to dry out my skin a bit and also itching has set in. Is that normal and expected ? Is benzoyl peroxide safe for long term use ? Because I've already accepted that at 30 im going to be dealing with acne in some way shape or form for the rest of my life anyway. Also as far as applying it goes..I'm using the wash once a day and I apply it in the shower and leave it on for 2-3 mins before washing it off...any tips or better methods? Should I be leaving it on longer?

MemberMember
(@judith_paddy)

Posted : 01/15/2016 5:38 pm

Hi. First of all, I'm sorry if my English is bad. I hope you can understand what I write though. So I used to use Benzoyl Peroxide, but on my face as an acne cream. From what I know BP 2,5-5% is still okay for skin. From my experience, BP will make our skin dry although I have a very oily skin and for the first time user, it can make skin red and a little bit itchy, but not too much. My dermatologist said to use it little by little (not too often at first) until my skin tolerated it and then increase the time I used it. And it's better if you apply moisturizer on your skin if you do BP treatment. When I was still on my BP treatment, I always use moisturizer 5-10 minutes after I apply my BP cream. If I didn't do it, my skin will start to peel off. I hope this help..

MemberMember
(@frustrated1985)

Posted : 01/15/2016 6:11 pm

Thanks for the response. Worried about moisturizing my back just because I have sensitive skin and worried about making the condition on my back even worse.

MemberMember
(@judith_paddy)

Posted : 01/16/2016 11:36 am

If you worried, you can try honey. Raw honey. Honey is a good moisturizer and has antibacterial too. So it also can help to clear your acne. And honey is very good for sensitive skin. If you still hesitate, just do a patch test on your skin before..