Notifications
Clear all

What do I need to do? Starting a new diet

MemberMember
(@fieryvest)

Posted : 01/15/2016 10:37 am

Hello everyone, I am planning to start a new diet as I think my acne will pretty much clear up if I stop eating sugary food, but I believe it doesnt only end with stopping eating sugary food, can the people who got rid of their acne with a good diet tell me what they were eating, what they stopped eating and all that. Thank you so much!

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 01/15/2016 2:36 pm

3 hours ago, FieryVest said:

Hello everyone, I am planning to start a new diet as I think my acne will pretty much clear up if I stop eating sugary food, but I believe it doesnt only end with stopping eating sugary food, can the people who got rid of their acne with a good diet tell me what they were eating, what they stopped eating and all that. Thank you so much!

Changing my diet has improved my skin, but i'm still experimenting. I think its important to know that there is no "one size fits all" acne cure diet - you have to figure out what works best for you. Some people like "paleo" others swear by low fat vegan. Others have one specific food they are intolerent to. Confusing isn't it!

There have been scientific studies that suggest reducing sugar and eating "low GI" foods helps acne prone skin because it balances blood sugar. So cutting out sugar/junk food is a good place to start.
For me personally i have found reducing grains as well has also helped. I eat similar to paleo but my own version. Dairy products are another big acne culprit you might want to consider removing to see it that helps. You could also experiment with eliminating/reducing caffeine, alcohol, cooking oils (use coconut oil).

I eat mainly vege/salad and animal proteins (eggs, fish, meat etc). Then i include some - fruits (but not too many high sugar fruits like banana), nuts, legumes, occasional non-gluten grains.

If you still eat alot of sugar/junk food i would suggest starting by removing all of that from your diet first and focusing on whole foods. Then if you dont see results try avoiding dairy or gluten. Then you might want to think about only eating "low GI" grains as these have less effect on blood sugar.
Anyways those are just my suggestions. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 01/19/2016 2:17 am

First few times around crafting a personal dieting protocol is purely trial and error unless you get lucky or some studying paid off. Study up on everything that you shouldn't do if you want to live for better health. It's much easier to go through the process of elimination to the habits of nutrients you don't want. Trying to effectively memorize a great deal about introductory nutritonal sciences and some biological jargon is frustrating especially if you're someone who doesn't have a fondness for applied sciences.
Like GeekGirl said there is so many different styles of dieting. In general the one's that are spammed onto every cliche health and fitness magazines usually rocking a misleading title like "Lose 15lbs in 15 days!" or "Gain 2'' to your arms in just 30 days!" It's just mindless rhetorical pseudo-science, but for some reason it's easier to regurgitate a bunch of illogical sentences out of a magazine then it is to scavenging through libraries and online scholary publication sites.
Just go out and experiment. Don't be afraid to try new things and enjoy the good feeling of trying something different. For the first year of dieting or so just keep it simple. I generally don't advice my friends I've helped to immeidately start macro counting and trying to use highly restrictive and pschyolgoical stressors of diet guides
I've been at with nutritioanal research and exercise for quite a while, yet I neverfully applied what I studied. My first 2-3 years was just expeirments, tyring new food, trying new dieting protocols. Just remember that bettering your health with some modest exercise and bettering yourself through eating isn't some short term goal, but a long term commitment to the journey. Once you finally get the hang out of you'll find a new appreciation for the harmonic balance you slowly built between your mind and your body.