Have you tried cogn...

Notifications
Clear all

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy for skin picking?

MemberMember
(@natadk)

Posted : 01/15/2016 4:48 am

I've just tested "severe" skin picker on skin picking site where they offer an online course for those who want to stop. It's based on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). It costs 240 dollars and lasts for 8 weeks/8 hours of therapy. I'm hesitant whether I should try it - have anyone here tried something like this for their dermatillomania?

MemberMember
(@curiousphoenix)

Posted : 01/16/2016 8:51 pm

That sounds expensive to me. Unfortunately I've never had CBT so I can't vouch for its effectiveness. If you want to go the CBT route I would suggest asking a doctor about it - there must be cheaper ways to access that kind of treatment. However, ultimately any behavioural change is down to how much you want to change. If you want to stop badly enough, you will find a way to do that.

natadk liked
MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 02/06/2016 2:07 pm

The only knowledge I have about neurotic excoriation is being linked to some neurotransmitter/catecholamine imbalance most likely at the neurogastroenterological pathways vs. the CNS/brain (a small percentage makes up the chemical spectrum of active neurostransmitters that are present in the brain, while most exists outside within the blood stream).

MemberMember
(@tanebabe)

Posted : 03/07/2016 7:08 pm

Hey there! I started therapy for anxiety, depression and OCD several months ago. I can tell you it costs MUCH more than the program you talked about, about $150 per 1 hr session (1x a week), not covered by my insurance. My life has completely transformed. I no longer pick or damage my skin everyday (I am not perfect, I have my moments but I make a conscious effort to do better everyday). When I began therapy, I was having full on nervous breakdowns several times a day, and my skin looked unrecognizable. Now, I still have the same skin problems as far as small pimples, but I don't pick at them, therefore my face isn't red, scabby, and I swear the blemishes last about a day or two, but during my picking days they would be a horrible lesion for 2 weeks (literally!).

My advice, this is a hard subject to give advice on because it is 99% mental. Therapy changed my life for the better. Once my mental problems were addressed, the physical problems slowly diminished. Give yourself time, forgive yourself, and get help. That is my advice. Lots of love!