Notifications
Clear all

Accutane cost (No Insurance)

MemberMember
(@ahallal22)

Posted : 01/13/2016 8:50 pm

Hello everyone, I'm in kind of a problem right now... My acne is I would say very close to severe as of now. I am going on vacation to Florida in March so I thought it would be a bad idea to start accutane now because I wouldn't be able to do anything on my vacation. I don't have insurance. What do you think the total cost of accutane + blood tests + derm visits would add up to?

all I know so far is the derm I am going to see charges $140 for first visit & $70 a visit after that.

so far I have a total of $400 saved up. I don't work so it will be tough to get the money but I will try and find any way possible to get accutane because acne is honestly ruining my life :(. I've lost all my confidence and can't even look people in the eye when I'm talking to them because I'm afraid all they'll be looking at is my acne... please if anyone has any knowledge about the price (generic accutane) it would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@ahallal22)

Posted : 01/14/2016 3:42 pm

Bump, anyone please help

MemberMember
(@were-all-mad-here)

Posted : 01/14/2016 10:22 pm

Unfortunately it will vary with dosage frequency and manufacturer available. If you get a script you can call around for quotes. There are also prescription savings cards you can get from goodrx and a few others that may help as well just google tons come up. As far as potential cost I've seen anywhere from maybe $100-400 per month just my experience..but definitely shop around you may get lucky with the coupon as well. Good luck

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 01/17/2016 3:43 am

It costs too god damn much!!! If you live in America, it will exceed 5000 dollars. If you're a female, even more. I'm not sure I understand your situation. Have you seen a dermatologist yet?
Did a primary care doctor refer you to a dermatologist specifically for accutane?
My advice is to use conventional therapies, they will help and if you still need accutane when you eventually get insurance. You can take it without interruptions or going broke. There are antibiotics that are almost equally as effective as accutane.

Geeking liked
MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 01/17/2016 9:05 am

Just to let you know ..

i went to florida on vacation in month five of my accutane course, wore little to no sunscreen, and didn't even catch a tan let alone a burn. I didn't stay out in the sun though purposefully

MemberMember
(@olive16)

Posted : 01/20/2016 2:39 am

Hi, I am starting isotretinoin tomorrow finally. I do have health insurance, but it does not cover this medication. It does help a little with the blood/urine tests you need to get if you are a woman. Anyway, the cost of the medication will vary depending on your dose, but no matter what, it is expensive. I'll let you know tomorrow how much it ends up being for mine (hopefully not much!) I found a discount card online that the pharmacy should accept and it will make the prescription considerably less. I'll let you know the discount I got as well. As for the blood testing, I'm assuming that prices must vary depending on where you get it, but my very first one was crazily expensive. Before insurance, it was almost $500. I don't really think that's a normal price, though, based on what other people have said. Basically, no matter what, going on isotretinoin is going to be very expensive monthly, at least $600-$1000 MONTHLY for 5-6 months according to my derm. If you are a woman, you need pricey blood and urine tests every month in addition to the ridiculously pricey medicine and derm visits. These ridiculous prices are why it's taken me so long to start the treatment. My advice would be to get a part-time job and put all your earnings aside until you have a solid $4000. Then it should be safe to start. And look online for those prescription discount cards!!! Finally, I'd check prices of other derms near you because yours is very expensive. Mine is $60 for the first visit and then $30 for every visit after.

MemberMember
(@olive16)

Posted : 01/22/2016 3:57 am

If anyone is wondering, I was prescribed 60mg of Zenatane.  The cost, without insurance, before the state discount I applied, was over $800 for just one month's supply.  The discount I had used made it $433. The derm visit was $30, and the blood work ended up being about $200 since I needed to pay a $100 deductible with my insurance (won't have to do that any other month).  Still waiting on bill for urine test
This makes this month's total cost around $800.
Ugh, the cost of clear skin :(

MemberMember
(@mom-of-acne-son)

Posted : 01/28/2016 5:12 pm

My son just started his 4th month. We have insurance, but it's high deductible, so the first month was $210 for Doctor and blood work. The prescription was 40mg/day and that cost was $357 for one month. 2nd month, went up to 80mg/day with same doctor and lab fees, but script cost $596. Month 3, 90mg/day, plus Doctor and lab fees, script cost $692. Month4, same mg, so same cost of script of $692. It sucks to have to pay this, but high deductible beats paying low deductible when we're a fairly healthy family and have only this one prescription for just 6 months. We're still paying less and these costs are going toward his deductible for the year. So out of pocket is $3177 based on negotiated rates through our insurance. Best part is, his skin is looking great and next thing to take care of is his minimal scars. So, although it hurts the checkbook, it's worth it! Best of luck. Zenatane has a discount program directly though their company. Ask your doctor about it.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 01/29/2016 5:39 am

In Canada, the dermatologist's visits are free. The bloodwork is free, too. Without insurance: 40 mg was $70, 60mg was $125 and 80 mg was $150. I paid a total of $770.

MemberMember
(@ilovemypug)

Posted : 01/29/2016 10:24 am

I just filled my prescription at Target......The "Retail Value" for a 1 month (30 day) supply of 80mg/day Zenatane is $754.49.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 02/27/2017 10:09 pm

On 1/29/2016 at 5:39 AM, Fudgesicle87 said:

In Canada, the dermatologist's visits are free. The bloodwork is free, too. Without insurance: 40 mg was $70, 60mg was $125 and 80 mg was $150. I paid a total of $770.

A total of $770 per month?

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 02/27/2017 10:47 pm

I knew it was expensive but didn't realize how much. That's just the meds. Then you have, I'm assuming monthly derm visits + blood tests and whatever other products you may need to help with side effects.