Notifications
Clear all

Comedonal acne on sensitive-dry skin (hard sebum)

MemberMember
(@yoryi)

Posted : 01/12/2016 2:55 am

Hi everyone:
Ive had acne for the last five years. At first, my acne was basically mild, I got some zits every week but was able to treat them with BP. The problems started when I became allergic to BP, my face was red and had a rash after using it. This happened for a few months until my derm told me what the problem was. After this, my combination type skin became really dry and sensitive. I get a rash and really red after applying anything, except for moisturizers. My acne is now quite difficult to handle because I cant use BP nor SA, even shaving has become a tragedy for me. My face is currently full of clogged pores on cheeks, chin, and forehead, I can literally apply some force on ANY pore and white, hard sebum (?) strings come out. My pores look huge and dirty, bumpy clogged pores have ruined my skin texture. I only have red big zits on my forehead, specially on my temples. Can anybody tell me what can I do with this problem and if hormones can be the main cause of everything. Im about to give up...(By the way, Im a 21 year old male).

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/12/2016 9:04 am

My son is in the same boat. He's 14. We're going to see a derm on Friday (first time) and see what he recommends. he's using BP for pimples but this doesn't seem to help the comedonal acne and pore clogs. His skin texture looks rough and bumpy too and hard, white matter comes out. (more like rice, not stringy but I know what you're talking about, I get this occasionally around my mouth, I call them "silly string zits") Retinoids can help, not sure how your skin would react to this. Differin cream can also help. Both are good for helping to break down hardened sebum and help prevent the clogs from forming. I'm guessing that his derm may prescribe one of these, and possibly an oral antibiotic to help calm things down for good measure. I can let you know what he says if you like.

yoryi liked
MemberMember
(@yoryi)

Posted : 01/12/2016 7:50 pm

10 hours ago, DeLovely said:

I can let you know what he says if you like.

Please let me know what his derm says. I also took antibiotics, doxi and tetracycline, but they did not help.
Thank you very much.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/13/2016 9:20 am

13 hours ago, yoryi said:
Please let me know what his derm says. I also took antibiotics, doxi and tetracycline, but they did not help. 
Thank you very much.

Sure, no problem! :) Yeah, curious if the derm will prescribe any of the antibiotics you took and if they will help. I've read mixed results on these, some people respond to them and others just don't.

MemberMember
(@lucybus)

Posted : 01/14/2016 2:23 am

I had terrible comedonal acne this past summer until  about November.. Hundreds of hard little bumps all over my forehead, cheeks, and temples. I tried so many things but comedonal acne is unlike other kinds of acne. I went to the dermatologist and they prescribed me Stieva (Canadian Retin A). After using it a couple times a week for about 2 months my skin was extremely red and irritated so I had to go off of it because my skin was just too sensitive. Instead I was given Tactuo which has honestly changed my life. It's similar to Stieva but much milder, so I was able to use it daily. I saw huge results in just 3 weeks so I really recommend it to anyone suffering from comedonal acne! But, if your skin can handle it, Stieva is supposed to work faster because it's stronger.

Goodluck :)