Notifications
Clear all

What if you clear before the end of the course?

MemberMember
(@stiffchocolate)

Posted : 01/11/2016 5:33 pm

My deem is nice with all due respect.....
im 17, 70kg and have been on tane for 4 months 60mg a day.
recently my face has been clearing (fingers crossed) I only have say 3 active spots but I have a lot of redness.
i saw my derm today and after a long time deciding she put me on another 6 weeks.
my question is what happens if I clear within this period do I continue or lower the dosage or stop?
all help appreciated many thanks

MemberMember
(@olive16)

Posted : 01/20/2016 3:02 am

Your dermatologist will tell you when to stop. Don't stop without his/her recommendation. The reason you stay on it for several weeks after you clear up is to keep the acne away longer after you stop the drug by keeping your oil glands shrunken. It is an attempt to give you life-long results.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 01/21/2016 2:05 am

Studies have shown the longer the person is on the course, regardless of at what point they clear up, the longer they stay clear after and therefore have a lower chance of relapsing.
As long as you aren't finding any side effects too debilitating, staying on it a while after you get clear as you derm is doing, is a good thing. 🙂

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@annie4004)

Posted : 02/12/2016 6:27 pm

DO NOT QUIT EARLY. I quit early on my first round of Accutane. Please note I said first round, as in there was a second round a few years later... because I quit early. Do not quit until your dermatologist tells you to quit.

DeLovely liked