Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

dermatologist 1st time -what to expect?

I've been referred to dermatologist for acne as the GP says I've tried all the treatments that she can give me over the past 8 years and it should have cleared up by now. She said I need vitamin a treatment (?)...

Despite being an adult, doctors and hospitals make me really nervous. I have never seen a dermatologist before. What do they usually do in a dermatologist appointment, just look at your skin or do they take swabs/blood? 

10 minutes ago, 0310 said:

I've been referred to dermatologist for acne as the GP says I've tried all the treatments that she can give me over the past 8 years and it should have cleared up by now. She said I need vitamin a treatment (?)...

Despite being an adult, doctors and hospitals make me really nervous. I have never seen a dermatologist before. What do they usually do in a dermatologist appointment, just look at your skin or do they take swabs/blood? 

They just ask you loads of questions to narrow things down and find out your lifestyle, to see what you're doing etc. Then they'll take a proper look at your face with a magnifying glass (at least mine did), then they'll talk to you and appropriately prescribe you with something and consult you. Simple really, just like a GP appointment. 

On 12/01/2016 21:03:47, strongbadia5000 said:

I can tell you my experience but I am wondering what country do you live in because I imagine it could be different if you are not in the United States?

hey strongbadia5000! Sorry just seen this. I live in the UK. 

On 10/01/2016 at 5:42 PM, Shriekin Contender said:

They just ask you loads of questions to narrow things down and find out your lifestyle, to see what you're doing etc. Then they'll take a proper look at your face with a magnifying glass (at least mine did), then they'll talk to you and appropriately prescribe you with something and consult you. Simple really, just like a GP appointment. 

Yep, in the UK it's exactly this!

On 23/01/2016 at 10:59 PM, ben100604 said:

Yep, in the UK it's exactly this!
thanks ben100604! 

That really doesn't sound to bad at all. Was really worried that there would be blood tests involved. 

12 minutes ago, 0310 said:
thanks ben100604! 

That really doesn't sound to bad at all. Was really worried that there would be blood tests involved. 

They'll only do blood tests if they decide to put you on Roaccutane.

And even then it won't be at that appointment, they'll just give you a form to take to pathology and have the blood test done at your convenience.

1 hour ago, ben100604 said:

They'll only do blood tests if they decide to put you on Roaccutane.

And even then it won't be at that appointment, they'll just give you a form to take to pathology and have the blood test done at your convenience.

hopefully it won't come to that. still stupidly scared of needles, just wanted to be mentally prepared in case they wanted to take something on the day.