Notifications
Clear all

Skin is much better and I eat Dairy and Grains

MemberMember
(@bocaj)

Posted : 01/07/2016 3:19 pm

Hey all,

I am a long time member on Acne.org. I wrote a post only a few months ago back in September of how I found the diet-acne connection really worked for me and that my skin cleared up with an occasional pimple here and there. Well in October I had a bad breakout with 2 huge pimples one which took 2 months to go away! I was still following the diet but obviously it was not the answer so I guess I was wrong. I picked up the work of Dr. John Sarno called "Healing Back Pain" because I was having leg pain that was not going away despite months of treatment. Dr. Sarno believes a lot of pain and diseases have an emotional connection and start in the mind. It does not mean we are making things up but he believes that the mind will create chronic pain and conditions as a way to distract us from painful memories and current stresses. I bring this up because in the book he states that many of his chronic back pain patients also had acne but he found once their back pain went away that the acne also cleared up.

So it was hard for me to believe this as well because I have had acne for over 20 years and to tell me my mind was causing it I just could not accept that. I decided to try his methods though figured what do I have to lose at this point. He recommends getting rid of all physical treatments because it reinforces the idea this is all physical instead of emotional. Well I did try that for about 2 months either not washing the face and going cave man or maybe not using BP gel but really I just kept breaking out with whiteheads. So in the end after much trial and error I decided to stick with the treatments but 2 big take aways that I got from this was

1) My DIET did not make a difference with my skin. I mean I try to eat healthy anyway but if I drank milk or ate a lot of pasta I did not sit there thinking oh no will I break out? and
2) I stopped focusing so much on my skin. Many people have already written about this so it is nothing new but I will say when I got a pimple or saw ones coming I was always looking in the mirror throughout the day. It was like obsessive and yet it did not make a difference. But now when I see pimples coming or see one I just treat it and move on and make it a point not to stare at the mirror.

So far this has been working very well for me and the biggest thing it is liberating to have more food choices and not to get caught up with each imperfection. I am continuing the work he talks about in the book and it is too much to write about here but at least give it a shot. I am not saying my skin is 100% clear but I am okay with that and for many people it is not either. I think they just choose to accept and not focus on it. If you have any questions let me know, Good Luck

MemberMember
(@luke89)

Posted : 01/18/2016 1:37 am

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 01/18/2016 4:32 am

On 08/01/2016, 0657, bocaj said:

Hey all,

I am a long time member on Acne.org. I wrote a post only a few months ago back in September of how I found the diet-acne connection really worked for me and that my skin cleared up with an occasional pimple here and there. Well in October I had a bad breakout with 2 huge pimples one which took 2 months to go away! I was still following the diet but obviously it was not the answer so I guess I was wrong. I picked up the work of Dr. John Sarno called "Healing Back Pain" because I was having leg pain that was not going away despite months of treatment. Dr. Sarno believes a lot of pain and diseases have an emotional connection and start in the mind. It does not mean we are making things up but he believes that the mind will create chronic pain and conditions as a way to distract us from painful memories and current stresses. I bring this up because in the book he states that many of his chronic back pain patients also had acne but he found once their back pain went away that the acne also cleared up.

So it was hard for me to believe this as well because I have had acne for over 20 years and to tell me my mind was causing it I just could not accept that. I decided to try his methods though figured what do I have to lose at this point. He recommends getting rid of all physical treatments because it reinforces the idea this is all physical instead of emotional. Well I did try that for about 2 months either not washing the face and going cave man or maybe not using BP gel but really I just kept breaking out with whiteheads. So in the end after much trial and error I decided to stick with the treatments but 2 big take aways that I got from this was

1) My DIET did not make a difference with my skin. I mean I try to eat healthy anyway but if I drank milk or ate a lot of pasta I did not sit there thinking oh no will I break out? and
2) I stopped focusing so much on my skin. Many people have already written about this so it is nothing new but I will say when I got a pimple or saw ones coming I was always looking in the mirror throughout the day. It was like obsessive and yet it did not make a difference. But now when I see pimples coming or see one I just treat it and move on and make it a point not to stare at the mirror.

So far this has been working very well for me and the biggest thing it is liberating to have more food choices and not to get caught up with each imperfection. I am continuing the work he talks about in the book and it is too much to write about here but at least give it a shot. I am not saying my skin is 100% clear but I am okay with that and for many people it is not either. I think they just choose to accept and not focus on it. If you have any questions let me know, Good Luck

2 hours ago, Luke89 said:

It's a real medical condition, positive thinking won't help.

I agree with Luke. Its great to have a positive outlook, not become obsessive and overstressed etc. but ultimately that is not going heal a physical medical condition.
I used to have leg pain as well - it has gone away since i started taking vitamin d supplement. I obviously had a deficiency and i fixed it. I believe acne is the same. Some imbalance/deficiency is causing the physical symptoms of acne - we just have to figure out what that is.