Notifications
Clear all

Clindamycin ORAL antibiotic

MemberMember
(@lapa1052)

Posted : 01/07/2016 12:19 am

Ok below is my journey story thing if you care to hear more information on my dilemma! Here's the short version: ive tried most antibiotics, but they've stopped working. My derm prescribed my clindamycin ORALLY (not topically-I've already tried that and it helped floor along time then stopped). I can't find much information on ppl who've taken this orally long term for acne. Have any of you? I'm Scared to take it because of the intestinal side effects that are the only thing i can find talked about online. Thanks! !

I'm a 26 year old female. I've had moderate acne since I was 13. I'd tried tons of medicines including benzoyl products, and different antibiotics with little to no success. Thebes, From my early 20 to last January (for about 5 years), my acne cleared. I was talking 200 mg. Of spironolactone, sulfamethoxazone, and clindamycin solution orally. But Last Jan. I started breaking out again like crazy, becoming resistant to my regimen. Since Then I have been on ortho lo, doxyxyclone and tretinoin .025%for the past 6 months. I'm still have many breakouts (smaller pimples, hardly ever get cystic breakouts thankfully!) And my skin is very dry and bumpy (and I did try accutane right before for about a week but was struggling with it and decided to try birth control first.) Saw my derm today. She suggested I change up my whole routine which terrifies me! I'm off spiro, doxyxyclone, and my clindamycin solution. She changed me to ORAL clindamycin, yaz, and retina .04.

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 01/07/2016 4:18 pm

Sounds like a struggle. I personally wouldn't use oral clindamycin. That c diffe is scary as hell. I don't think taking all those antibiotics is a very good thing either. They're useful when you need them but your beneficial bacteria gets altered every time you use them.
Why did you stop taking accutane?

MemberMember
(@lapa1052)

Posted : 01/07/2016 10:41 pm

I only took it for about 5 days. I had a raging headache, back pain, and my skin looked and felt sunburned all by day 4 so I freaked a little. And I'd never tried birth control so was hopeful it would help. Which it did, but only a little. I'm reconsidering accutane, took the pregnancy test so that I can take it next month of I decide.

MemberMember
(@lapa1052)

Posted : 01/09/2016 9:57 am

On 1/8/2016 at 9:41 AM, Lapa1052 said:

I only took it for about 5 days. I had a raging headache, back pain, and my skin looked and felt sunburned all by day 4 so I freaked a little. And I'd never tried birth control so was hopeful it would help. Which it did, but only a little. I'm reconsidering accutane, took the pregnancy test so that I can take it next month of I decide.

On 1/8/2016 at 3:18 AM, acnehardcase said:

Sounds like a struggle. I personally wouldn't use oral clindamycin. That c diffe is scary as hell. I don't think taking all those antibiotics is a very good thing either. They're useful when you need them but your beneficial bacteria gets altered every time you use them.
Why did you stop taking accutane?

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 01/09/2016 6:19 pm

I've not heard of many people on it due to the side effects. I think that says it all!