Notifications
Clear all

My Dermatologist Told Me To Never Use Moisturiser

MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/05/2016 2:54 pm

Hello, I have a question. Perhaps I'm looking for advice or just other people who have had a similar experience and what they think of it.

I went to the dermatologist, because I had mild acne, not severely bad, but not good either. Very rashy and all over my face, and very bad blackheads on my nose. I was also breaking out a LOT on my upper back.

I had a lot of questions, particularly because anybody who has gotten upset over acne has probably gone through their obsessive phase where you read everything and anything acne related. The main thing is, you should moisturise. Not moisturising makes your skin dry and makes your skin produce more of the oil that is contributing to the cause of the acne in the first place, so I've always moisturised, even before I had acne.

He prescribed me "Treclin" - Clindamycin and Tretinoin mixed together. This is an antibiotic gel for me to use once every night. My problem is, I've been using this for months and I see a little improvement, but I'm still breaking out and I'm still unhappy with my face, but I'll persist because I've tried everything else. The trouble is, he told me to wash my face every morning and night with lukewarm water and a simple soap and NEVERmoisturise. He said dryness is a symptom of my medication gel and that it is a good sign, because it is drying up my pores and means my skin is not oily. He said that people think they need to use moisturiser like girls who put a lot of things on their faces, because they're told to, but actually just make their skin worse.

He was really nice, listened and even used to have acne himself, which is why I've listened and followed his regimen.

The problem is, especially now in winter, my face, after a shower or just simply washing my face gets very tight and dry. Even recently I've been started to feel irritation and I'm even seeing redness, all of which I can only imagine are side effects of the bad weather, washing and acne gel.

Should I carry on doing this and trust in somebody who has spent years of his life studying acne and its effects and whohas also experienced worse acne than myself, or should I go back to moisturising?

I'm generally just looking for anything to put me at ease to be honest and your experiences.

Considering this is a professional individual who earns a LOT of money dealing with these things and has dedicated his life to the subject of skin, shouldn't I trust him?

MemberMember
(@dittus)

Posted : 01/05/2016 8:30 pm

Tou should probably trust your doctor.However it is crucial that you apply sunscreen in the morning every day while you are on tretinoin. Did he tell you that?

MemberMember
(@rollercoaster)

Posted : 01/06/2016 12:58 am

i've actually read a similar thing which is why i stopped moisturizing. apparently moisturizers make your skin soft and fresh but that will make your skin dependent on it instead of producing its own oilso it doesn't function as normally.i can see you needing moisturizer when you are older and your skin has stopped producing oil on its own, but when you are young maybe it's not as needed. i used to use retin a and moisturizer which made my skin very dry and red then quit because there wasnt much improvement, only rinsed my face with water and although it got pretty dry the oil production went DOWN. before someone told me my face was really oily like an oil slick this was back when i was using my retin a and moisturizer. after months of just cutting it all out my face is still oily, but not as bad as it was before. i don't know if i have done any permanent damage but i am glad i at least don't have an oil slick face all the time. only con is that my face is covered in dead skin but ah well, that's what i get for being lazy since all i do is rinse.

another interesting thing which i can say is true from experience is that shampoo messes up your hair/scalp. drying out your hair so much causes over oil production. i used to shampoo every day and then went a day without and my hair would get so greasy. in only one day. i've cut out shampoo for months and although it was gross at first my hair was all smelly/greasy (not a big deal for me i'm a guy) finallyit is no longer gets as oily... lesson learned definitely be wary of all the chemicals you put on your body

but yeah i think your dermatologist is smart, especially if he is recommending that you actually cut back on the products you use for your face, not many do that, they just want to sell, sell, sell. wish i had your dermatologist

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 01/06/2016 6:24 am

My derm told me to never mousturize unless my skin was painfully dry and tight. I went my whole accutane course without moisturiser. Even now I don't moisturise with my epiduo, just around my mouth (where I don't seem to get any acne anyway)

MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/06/2016 2:55 pm

18 hours ago, dittus said:

You should probably trust your doctor.However it is crucial that you apply sunscreen in the morning every day while you are on tretinoin. Did he tell you that?

I live in the UK, where it's barely sunny, and even when it is, it's not strong enough to burn me unless I sat in it for hours facing the sun and even then, it wouldn't do much. He told me about the side effects, but said, unless I go to a sunnier climate - I shouldn't bother putting anything on my face as it would only exacerbate things.

8 hours ago, Lore91 said:

My derm told me to never mousturize unless my skin was painfully dry and tight. I went my whole accutane course without moisturiser. Even now I don't moisturise with my epiduo, just around my mouth (where I don't seem to get any acne anyway)

I can only imagine how dry you were on accutane. I get dry after washing my face, tight, flakey and uncomfortable, but nothing I can't manage. Just affects my already damaged confidence and gets a bit annoying, that's all. I'm still faithful in my dermatologist though, because he's spent many years of his life professionally studying this subject, and people on the internet are just people really.

14 hours ago, rollercoaster said:

i've actually read a similar thing which is why i stopped moisturizing. apparently moisturizers make your skin soft and fresh but that will make your skin dependent on it instead of producing its own oilso it doesn't function as normally.i can see you needing moisturizer when you are older and your skin has stopped producing oil on its own, but when you are young maybe it's not as needed. i used to use retin a and moisturizer which made my skin very dry and red then quit because there wasnt much improvement, only rinsed my face with water and although it got pretty dry the oil production went DOWN. before someone told me my face was really oily like an oil slick this was back when i was using my retin a and moisturizer. after months of just cutting it all out my face is still oily, but not as bad as it was before. i don't know if i have done any permanent damage but i am glad i at least don't have an oil slick face all the time. only con is that my face is covered in dead skin but ah well, that's what i get for being lazy since all i do is rinse.

another interesting thing which i can say is true from experience is that shampoo messes up your hair/scalp. drying out your hair so much causes over oil production. i used to shampoo every day and then went a day without and my hair would get so greasy. in only one day. i've cut out shampoo for months and although it was gross at first my hair was all smelly/greasy (not a big deal for me i'm a guy) finallyit is no longer gets as oily... lesson learned definitely be wary of all the chemicals you put on your body

but yeah i think your dermatologist is smart, especially if he is recommending that you actually cut back on the products you use for your face, not many do that, they just want to sell, sell, sell. wish i had your dermatologist

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, I guess he is smart. I do shampoo my hair most days and I am a guy, so I'll look into this, because I get acne on my upper back, which could be a cause of all the harsh chemicals and product falling down my back every day. Dry face + Less acne (but still acne) vs Smooth, elastic face + more acne - I dunno what's worse haha.. Seems like I have it either way.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/06/2016 3:36 pm

When you're using a harsh chemical (whether a topical or oral drug) to deliberately dry out your skin as part of the treatment, it's important to keep your skin as in balance as possible while the treatment does its work. Letting your skin get overly dry is not only uncomfortable (and one of the leading reasons why people give up on an acne treatment that is otherwise helping) but can cause irritation breakouts, which can make things worse. Skin that is calm and in balance is less apt to break out. If you're using a noncomedogenic moisturizer, then your moisturizer shouldn't break you out.

Hope this is helpful. I'm usually one to push "listen to your derm" but I'll have to respectfully disagree with him/her on this one.

Luna878 liked
MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/06/2016 4:21 pm

34 minutes ago, DeLovely said:

When you're using a harsh chemical (whether a topical or oral drug) to deliberately dry out your skin as part of the treatment, it's important to keep your skin as in balance as possible while the treatment does its work. Letting your skin get overly dry is not only uncomfortable (and one of the leading reasons why people give up on an acne treatment that is otherwise helping) but can cause irritation breakouts, which can make things worse. Skin that is calm and in balance is less apt to break out. If you're using a noncomedogenic moisturizer, then your moisturizer shouldn't break you out.

Hope this is helpful. I'm usually one to push "listen to your derm" but I'll have to respectfully disagree with him/her on this one.

Thanks for the feedback.

Have you studied dermatology or is all this just information you found on the internet and lifestyle things you've picked up on? I can see exactly what you're saying and a lot of posts on the internet agree with you, but I can't help but think that the person who is telling me the opposite has literally had a top class education in this field, studied everything and anything about skin and knows what he's talking about. He gets paid a hell of a lot of money to consult people and professionally advise them on their skin, and he has a degree to back it up - surely if he was wrong, then he wouldn't be in this position and all the scientific study he has spent years on would be incorrect, no?

Have you been to a dermatologist who has told you otherwise? Because I was thinking about getting different opinions, because obviously one dermatologist in one city in one country telling me something is true, doesn't actually make it true.

No disrespect, I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

I tried the acne.org regimen for six-twelve months - The moisturiser tanned my skin, the kit as a whole was far too expensive for me to order it from the UK and the dryness was very temperamental. I didn't seem to improve much and the fact that I had to keep applying everything so often and the side effects it gave my skin, actually made me stay home more. It was very time consuming and quite stressful actually, as all the effort I had to put into it, wasn't paying off and just stressed me out and turned me into a social hermit. It works for other people, but didn't satisfy me - then I went to the dermatologist and he crushed all my knowledge (which I funnily enough got most from acne.org), and told me a lot of things. He also said that Benzyl Peroxide, because of its drying nature and because it wasn't doing anything for me, wasn't my best option, and he put me on this treclin gel, which doesn't dry me out very much and I only have to apply before bed. Also, because of its nature (it tends to feel quite thick and sticky), so moisturising afterwards, especially on a night time seems quite pointless. It's only in the day, when I'm waking up for work or something, where I feel the need to moisturise, but obviously, I was told not to. So, I dunno..

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@dittus)

Posted : 01/06/2016 7:18 pm

We're not doctor's here and you asked for opinions from people, not another doctor... and"top class education" means nothing, because every person is different.I'm not saying your doctor isn't good, but I personally have received bad advice beforeandI've been to 4!!dermatologistsbefore the 5th one figured out what was wrong with me.

If you do an internet search basically every dermatologist (real ones with "scientific study he has spent years on")unanimously agrees that you have to apply sunscreen when using Retin-Ano matter what.I live in fog and clouds and put on sunscreen even if I don't leave my house.

A non-comedogenic moisturizer (that your dermatologist's office should carry btw...) should not break you out unless you're allergic to an ingredient.

MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/07/2016 9:16 am

13 hours ago, dittus said:

We're not doctor's here and you asked for opinions from people, not another doctor... and"top class education" means nothing, because every person is different.I'm not saying your doctor isn't good, but I personally have received bad advice beforeandI've been to 4!!dermatologistsbefore the 5th one figured out what was wrong with me.

If you do an internet search basically every dermatologist (real ones with "scientific study he has spent years on")unanimously agrees that you have to apply sunscreen when using Retin-Ano matter what.I live in fog and clouds and put on sunscreen even if I don't leave my house.

A non-comedogenic moisturizer (that your dermatologist's office should carry btw...) should not break you out unless you're allergic to an ingredient.

What's your problem? Read my comments properly before you snap at me. I never offended anybody or claimed that I wasn't here for people's opinions. My single reply to you has nothing to do with my reply to "delovely". I said you were right, but told you why I don't apply sun screen.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/07/2016 9:41 am

I haven't been to a derm since high school. I do remember the one I went to prescribed Retin-A but gave me no advice on using it. I guess he figured it was self-explanatory. The treatment dried me out (he didn't mention anything about moisturizing, he was not for or against, this topic just never came up) and a few months later I quit because the treatment became unbearable and made my skin look terrible. Probably because I wasn't doing it properly, who knows. Perhaps if I'd known then what I know now, Retin-A could have been a home run.

So yeah, a lot of what I know I've picked up either on here or personal experience. I battled acne for 24 years. I don't have a degree in dermatology. But I have learned to be an expert on my own skin. And what I have learned is that everyone's skin is different and reacts differently to treatment. What may work for some may not work for everyone. There is no "one size fits all" solution for acne. People have to learn to read their skin and give it what it needs. Some people thrive with a daily moisturizer, and a select few do better to avoid them. Some people swear by not washing their face, and for others that is unthinkable. For many topicals work great, and for others approaching from diet or all-natural remedies work best for them. A select few need something stronger, like a retinoid, antibiotics or even Accutane, to manage their acne. Whatever keeps your skin healthy and happy, that's what you should do. It can mean a lot of trial and error, trips to a derm (or 3) for advice, but in the end, you know your skin best.

A derm can be a very helpful resource. They can offer you stronger remedies when traditional OTC stuff no longer can keep up with breakouts. The good ones will give you exact instructions on using what they prescribe, not just send you home with a script and leave it to you to figure it out. 

I hope this is helpful! :)

MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/07/2016 10:23 am

39 minutes ago, DeLovely said:

I haven't been to a derm since high school. I do remember the one I went to prescribed Retin-A but gave me no advice on using it. I guess he figured it was self-explanatory. The treatment dried me out (he didn't mention anything about moisturizing, he was not for or against, this topic just never came up) and a few months later I quit because the treatment became unbearable and made my skin look terrible. Probably because I wasn't doing it properly, who knows. Perhaps if I'd known then what I know now, Retin-A could have been a home run.

So yeah, a lot of what I know I've picked up either on here or personal experience. I battled acne for 24 years. I don't have a degree in dermatology. But I have learned to be an expert on my own skin. And what I have learned is that everyone's skin is different and reacts differently to treatment. What may work for some may not work for everyone. There is no "one size fits all" solution for acne. People have to learn to read their skin and give it what it needs. Some people thrive with a daily moisturizer, and a select few do better to avoid them. Some people swear by not washing their face, and for others that is unthinkable. For many topicals work great, and for others approaching from diet or all-natural remedies work best for them. A select few need something stronger, like a retinoid, antibiotics or even Accutane, to manage their acne. Whatever keeps your skin healthy and happy, that's what you should do. It can mean a lot of trial and error, trips to a derm (or 3) for advice, but in the end, you know your skin best.

A derm can be a very helpful resource. They can offer you stronger remedies when traditional OTC stuff no longer can keep up with breakouts. The good ones will give you exact instructions on using what they prescribe, not just send you home with a script and leave it to you to figure it out. 

I hope this is helpful! :)

Thank you for taking my comment the way I wanted you to. Yes, I agree with you. 

I've been taking his advice and so far it's been great, it's just the dryness and I'm starting to get fed up to be honest, so I might have to put a moisturiser on. 

One thing I've noticed though, is that all these brands tend to claim that they sell "non-comedogenic" moisturisers and it makes me wonder which ones actually are.. and if there is actually such thing as a moisturiser that doesn't block my pores. I can never find a perfect moisturiser and they all tend to have something that bothers me. Acne.org's was fantastic but I didn't like the tawny texture it gave my face, if only there was a white version of it haha. 

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/08/2016 2:52 pm

16 hours ago, Chloe123 said:

I didnt use a moisturiser while i was using an acne facewash for 5 months, and i ended up with some sort of eczema & weird dry patches. Its better now, but i havent completely gotten rid of it and my skin is now super sensitive to wind, heat etc. I dont think an oil free moisturiser will cause any harm, if anything it will help.

I get flakey tight skin, sometimes it hurts in an irritating kind of way (when I touch it), but generally, it's just dryness. Sometimes dryer than other times. I miss using a moisturiser and having that elasticity, but then again, there's just this dermatologist fighting me in my mind.

MemberMember
(@strongbadia5000)

Posted : 01/08/2016 3:11 pm

I don't think a light face moisturizer is necessarily a bad thing but from personal experience I have two pieces of advice. First, I would try to look at your current routine and make any changes you can to keep your skin from getting to dry to begin with. Try using a more gentle cleanser if your cleanser is to harsh, use luke warm water instead of hot, limit the amount of time you wash your skin, use a humidifier if the air is really dry in your house, use the smallest amount of active ingredient acne fighting product you can get away with (a pea sized amount is often enough for your whole face). I would also especially avoid over washing the most sensitive areas of your face which are usually around your eyes, nose and mouth. Second, when you do use your moisturizer make sure to use the smallest amount possible. Again, a pea sized amount or around that size should be enough for your entire face. Good Luck.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/08/2016 4:10 pm

53 minutes ago, strongbadia5000 said:

I don't think a light face moisturizer is necessarily a bad thing but from personal experience I have two pieces of advice. First, I would try to look at your current routine and make any changes you can to keep your skin from getting to dry to begin with. Try using a more gentle cleanser if your cleanser is to harsh, use luke warm water instead of hot, limit the amount of time you wash your skin, use a humidifier if the air is really dry in your house, use the smallest amount of active ingredient acne fighting product you can get away with (a pea sized amount is often enough for your whole face). I would also especially avoid over washing the most sensitive areas of your face which are usually around your eyes, nose and mouth. Second, when you do use your moisturizer make sure to use the smallest amount possible. Again, a pea sized amount or around that size should be enough for your entire face. Good Luck.

It prescribed me with "pea size" amount, but I find it almost impossible to put that all over my face. In fact, I need a pea size for my chin, one for each cheek, one for nose and one for forehead to even feel like it's on. Otherwise it's seemingly impossible for me to spread it all across my face. Also, I'm still breaking out, so I can't imagine how much I'd break out if I was using something as minimal as a pea size amount. I don't use a cleanser, I just lather "simple" soap (because he told me to avoid main brand products and just go for a simple soap with not many ingredients in), so what is more simple than "simple" soap - I also barely wash my face, I literally do the acne.org cleansing method with it and I do it even less with that and even less contact than that.

I have an alcohol free, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and oil-free neutrogena white moisturiser, that cost me quite a lot of money some time back, so I might start using that on the particularly dry areas, and hopefully try change my routine to avoid having to use it at all.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@marymills22)

Posted : 01/10/2016 11:19 am

Why not just try a noncomedogenic moisturizer and see if it helps. If it works, great. If not, you are no worse for trying. That would be my approach.

MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/10/2016 11:27 am

1 minute ago, MaryMills22 said:

Why not just try a noncomedogenic moisturizer and see if it helps. If it works, great. If not, you are no worse for trying. That would be my approach.

I've been looking.. but trying to find an ACTUAL non-comedogenic moisturiser in this world, is near impossible. Almost every brand slips up somewhere. You'll find a reasonably priced, seemingly perfect moisturiser, then you'll look in its ingredients and somewhere, there's at least one ingredient that the majority of the internet says is highly comedogenic, then you're back to phase one. Dan's felt good, smelt good, but I didn't like the tanned texture it gave my face, and it's from the US, which is far too much for me to pay packaging on a regular basis.

I've found two so far which look pretty decent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neutrogena-Oil-Free-Moisture-Combination-Skin/dp/B000052ZB8/ref=dp_ob_title_hpc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Naturals-Oil-Free-Moisturizer/dp/B008IVZXKA

Not sure if you're invested in this topic enough to care to have a look at those or carry on commenting.. but I've sent it anyway haha

Also, a lot of moisturisers seem to have an absurd amount of oddly named chemicals, which don't seem to convince me much either, regardless of its comedogenicity scaling

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 01/10/2016 11:29 am

I've been to probably 10 derms throughout my acne and skin journey over the last 15 years. Every single one of them told me to moisturizer right out of the shower. Every single one. Especially if you are using irritating acne products.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/10/2016 11:41 am

10 minutes ago, Jones4545 said:

I've been to probably 10 derms throughout my acne and skin journey over the last 15 years. Every single one of them told me to moisturizer right out of the shower. Every single one. Especially if you are using irritating acne products.

Interesting.. and where are you from and what acne fighting product did they prescribe you when they told you to moisturise?

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 01/10/2016 12:56 pm

1 hour ago, Shriekin Contender said:
Interesting.. and where are you from and what acne fighting product did they prescribe you when they told you to moisturise?

I live in California. I've been on everything you can think of. Accutane, antibiotics, retinoids everything. If your skin is dry when you get out of shower and it's causing irritation, how is putting moisturizer on it a bad thing?

The best moisturizer is cetaphil, if you can get it where you live, it's amazing, and every derm I've met recommends it. It certainly does not clog pores

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/10/2016 2:56 pm

2 hours ago, Jones4545 said:
I live in California. I've been on everything you can think of. Accutane, antibiotics, retinoids everything. If your skin is dry when you get out of shower and it's causing irritation, how is putting moisturizer on it a bad thing?

The best moisturizer is cetaphil, if you can get it where you live, it's amazing, and every derm I've met recommends it. It certainly does not clog pores

I had a strange reaction to cetaphil. It seemed to irritate me and make me face red.

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 01/10/2016 5:48 pm

I only use the cream. I don't like the lotion.

MemberMember
(@strongbadia5000)

Posted : 01/11/2016 1:23 pm

On 1/8/2016, 310, Shriekin Contender said:
It prescribed me with "pea size" amount, but I find it almost impossible to put that all over my face. In fact, I need a pea size for my chin, one for each cheek, one for nose and one for forehead to even feel like it's on. Otherwise it's seemingly impossible for me to spread it all across my face. Also, I'm still breaking out, so I can't imagine how much I'd break out if I was using something as minimal as a pea size amount. I don't use a cleanser, I just lather "simple" soap (because he told me to avoid main brand products and just go for a simple soap with not many ingredients in), so what is more simple than "simple" soap - I also barely wash my face, I literally do the acne.org cleansing method with it and I do it even less with that and even less contact than that.

I have an alcohol free, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and oil-free neutrogena white moisturiser, that cost me quite a lot of money some time back, so I might start using that on the particularly dry areas, and hopefully try change my routine to avoid having to use it at all.

I hear you. It can be difficult to use a pea sized amount but I think the most important thing is to try to use the smallest amount you can get away with and usually the amount you need is smaller than you think.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/11/2016 2:15 pm

On 1/8/2016, 340, strongbadia5000 said:

All good suggestions for a prophylactic approach to avoiding dry skin! :)

I do have to agree with the OP that a pea-size amount isn't very much to work with and feel like you covered all the affected areas, which for me was all over. I know a pea-size is the recommended starting dose for Dan's BP, and for me it did seem fruitless using so little. But I do agree with you that it's best to use as little product as you can get away with in order to stay clear. Less is more!

MemberMember
(@ayami002)

Posted : 01/12/2016 2:47 am

hi, my derm also told me the same, don't use any moisturiser/creams, only used it when the skin is dry because if not it will just cause break outs.
for sunblock i used the gel type not the cream
make ups only powder type (which cannot conceal the dark hyperpigmentation)

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 01/13/2016 2:29 pm

A couple studies to note here:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2012.00751.x/full (moisturizers can prevent/help treat scarring in acne patients)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3997206/
(Interesting to note: "The reparative properties of the skin care regimen offset the ongoing effects of concurrently used topical and/or oral acne therapies, which are known to induce impairment of the epidermal permeability barrier...")

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4025519/ (assesses the efficacy of various moisturizers for acne-prone skin)

My two cents: Everyone is different. Perhaps your skin will be fine without a moisturizer. It may be a good idea (if you're questioning your Derm's advice) to experiment and see what your skin likes better. Try no moisturizer for a month, then use one every day for a month, or something like that.

Personally I have dry skin, and I went through a phase where I was absolutely paraniod of putting anything on my face. I went without moisturizer for practically months until I started to notice my scars weren't healing like normal because of the drying acne treatments I was using. So my main concern is to prevent you from experiencing prolonged or permanent scarring because of this choice, like I did.

I think it's important to note that external products aren't usually the cause of persistent acne, so IMO moisturizer isn't as much of an issue as people seem to think. Even if you use a non-comedogenic moisturizer perfect for your skin, you may still get breakouts from internal issues and blame the poor 'ol innocent product (as I did).

DeLovely liked