Notifications
Clear all

Medicines taken after accutane

MemberMember
(@ullman-kristin95)

Posted : 01/02/2016 12:47 pm

So I took accutane 40 mg for 5 months and 6 months later my skin is starting to break out again. It is not as bad as it was before I took accutane, but its getting to the point where I want to go see the dermatologist. I thought it was linked to food I was eating and stress. But not being in school and staying away from things that I thought were breaking my skin, its still there. Its driving me crazy and really dropping my self esteem once again. I dont want to go back on accutane due to my familys insurance not covering the medicine at all. I have been on the same birth control for years that was meant for my acne, thoughts on changing that up?

I just want to know from those who relapsed soon after like me, what kind of other medications did your derm put you on (besides accutane once again)?

I am mainly looking for some hope that I don't have to take another course of accutane and a different sort of pill will change my luck around.

thanks!

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 01/02/2016 8:53 pm

Don't bother thinkingabout diet or stressors. Medicine is the best approach to acne. The most cost effective topical treatment is tretinoin and benzoyl peroxide. I still use it myself after my accutane course. You can use antibiotics if it is severe inflammatory.

if its hormonal then antrogen blockers, or progesterone based contraception arebest.

what type of acne do you have?

MemberMember
(@ullman-kristin95)

Posted : 01/03/2016 12:06 am

3 hours ago, acnehardcase said:

Don't bother thinkingabout diet or stressors. Medicine is the best approach to acne. The most cost effective topical treatment is tretinoin and benzoyl peroxide. I still use it myself after my accutane course. You can use antibiotics if it is severe inflammatory.

if its hormonal then antrogen blockers, or progesterone based contraception arebest.

what type of acne do you have?

I had mild persistant acne!

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 01/05/2016 12:38 am

I'm sorry, but I don't know that much about hormonal acne. I'm a man. I think that if your breakouts mostly happen on your jawline and followsyourcycle, it would be best treated with hormones. If it's consistentand mostly mild, I suggest a least one topical retinoid and benzoyl peroxide if needed.

I wish I could be more helpful