Notifications
Clear all

Accutane for a mild case - 26/m

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 12/29/2015 8:34 pm

Hi Everyone - I never thought I'd be here, posting an Accutane log, but today I received a surprise when I walked into my new dermatologist's office to request an oral antibiotic that would allow me to quit using benzoyl peroxide due to my theory that it has been irritating my skin and hurting more than helping. The doctor stopped me mid-theory and asked me if wanted to cover the problem up until I grow out of acne or go straight for the cure. He certainly made a bold statement based on everything I've read about Accutane but I'm a sucker for confidence. I never thought I'd be prescribed the drug because of how mild my acne is but my doctor had no hesitation.

I've gotten my acne down so I have a single non-visible cyst that has been shrinking under my cheek for a few weeks and the persistent black heads that have been featured but largely non-noticeable on my nose and temples. I've weaned myself of benzoyl peroxide over the last year and only used it on active spots until a month ago. Now I use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and moisturize with Ceravae right after. My skin has definitely been calming down and the seemingly endless loop of pimples that frequented areas I treated with benzoyl peroxide have subsided.

My biggest hope with Accutane is that it stop my oily skin. I can handle the breakout once every two weeks I've been getting for the last few months since weaning off benzoyl peroxide but I've spent too much on oil blotting sheets and stressed too much when I'm in a meeting for over an hour and imagine what my face looks like.

My biggest worry is that my face will see the dreaded, and often written about in this community, initial breakout or IB. My skin is good right now. I can get really close to it in the mirror and it doesn't make me mad. The worst of it is the hyper-pigmentation left over from some pimples I idiotically popped with too much pressure.

I started this log the night before my first dose. I'll try to update every day to some extent for my own peace of mind and hopefully to receive some guidance if any of the dreaded side-effects hit. I'll take a sore back and a few nose bleeds if it means clear skin by summer.

Let's go.

MemberMember
(@rachael1610)

Posted : 12/30/2015 10:26 am

Hi, you mentioned you have fairly mild acne and still got prescribed Accutane. I'd be really interested to see a pic of your skin to compare with mine (I think I have mild acne) and would be interested to know if Accutane works for you.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 12/30/2015 6:51 pm

Day 1:

I really hate the idea of sharing photos. I just took some photos so I can make comparisons when it's all said and done and looking at them makes me think my face is worse than I thought. Like I mentioned, a lot of it is red marks but that's obviously becuase I have a problem with persistent acne in the same spots. They go away quickly but leave these nasty marks. Maybe I'll get some confidence as the course continues and share. Happy to answer any questions tho.

I just took my first pill. I just swallowed $3 and have to do so twice a day to the tune of $180 a month. I hope that's my biggest problem with the drug. I'm on 40mg, twice a day. I forgot how long the doctor said I'd be on it but I assume he'll assess the situation when I go in for blood tests each month.

Obviously no updates on my skin. I did a matcha tea mask last night to give my skin a nice spa experience before starting treatment. I imagine things are going to get dry pretty quickly at the high-dose I'm taking. I'm off to take a spin class. I'm hoping I can curb any potential IB with sticking to my fitness regimen and eating healthy. Anyone know if you can overdo it on vegetables while on the drug and have too much vitamin A going on? I'm guessing not but curious nonetheless. Until tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 12/31/2015 6:07 pm

Day 2:

Not to much to update on today. I had a spot pop up and come to a head to the right of my mustache but it's not red and has the looks of a spot that will disappear by morning. It'll likely get irritated when I workout soon but hopefully I don't mess with it before going out tonight.

No changes in oil. Still an oil field that I need to clean up with tissues every hour on the hour. I'm hoping by Monday the dry skin effect starts up so I don't have to blot constantly at work. I've been blotting for years so I'm quite excited for this benefit. I've heard people mention no dry skin until a month in but others after a few days. I had chapped lips when I started and I've actually almost rid myself of chapped lips in 2 days because of all of the Carmex and Aquafor I've been applying.

I have a cyst that's been behind my ear for a few weeks and it seems to be getting smaller. It's invisible but I can feel it under my skin so it's a nice test spot.

Blackheads seem to be less visible but it might be because I'm a little flushed. 120mg down. Almost 10,000mg to go if I'm on this stuff for four months.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/01/2016 6:47 pm

Day 3:

The spot I had on the right side of my mustache hardened up a bit and came off when I washed my face this morning. It was a little red but I decided against clearing out whatever gunk lied beneath. I'd never seen a whitehead come to a hard head that fast before so I'm hopeful the progress underneath the skin is even better. I'm hopeful by tomorrow it will have receded and the redness gone. It wasn't fun having that on my face last night, but every time I go out with a visible pimple I'm going to think forward to 4 months from now when I can go out with a clear skin and not have to worry about if my blemishes have come to a head or sneaking into the bathroom to blot oil every hour on the hour.

Speaking of oil, no limit on production yet. I felt like I had more oil production today because it took a few of the oil blotting sheets to bring my face to a matte look but i'm hoping that's just the drug pushing oil out and not a general trend. I feel the tightness of dry skin coming around my hairline and that's the first change I've felt. The blackheads on my nose are less noticeable even from yesterday and I don't have any new pimple developments. I had a breakout under my lip a few weeks ago and it seems these two spots would continue to regenerate so I'll be interested to see if they come back one more time to clear out or if they were done and I can look forward to not having pimples around my lip anymore. That's honestly the worst of my problem and I only have broken out there since I took a weight gainer with whey and creatine. I was lifting 5 days a week and it must have thrown my testosterone through the roof.

Other side effects: I feel tingly at my extremeties for a couple hours after taking the pills if I'm doing any sort of activity (running, lifting, even typing) but if I'm still I don't feel anything. No noticeable increase in joint pain or soreness but I sweat a ton more when I did my typical run last night. I've read a few logs mentioning sweating. No strange sweating during the day tho luckily.

That's about it. I'm going to continue to post every day but I'd love to answer questions if anyone has them. Tame first three days and I hope that continues. I have an interview on Thursday and I need my face to hold up so I don't look like an acne ridden kid. I swear when I'm done with this it will open up a ton of career opportunities. It's hard to get a client facing job with pimples.

Happy New Year

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/03/2016 3:31 am

Day 4:

It's technically early morning day 5 but I wanted to get a post in. Updates: Skin might be slightly less oily. I'm basing this off how many oil blotting sheets it takes each hour to stay matte. Down to one when I can typically use one on my forehead and one below. My lips aren't really dry but I've been applying Aquafor every few hours because I have a chapstick addiction to start with. Substituting a healing product like Aquafor is giving me the softest lips I've ever had.

I ended up holding a warm towel against the pimple next to my mustache and very gently clear out the rest of the junk. It's healing up nicely and it'll be nothing by the morning. A cystic spot that's been lying under my skin for a month is almost unnoticeable when I touched my face while cleaning. I think it's heading out and would love if it never came to the surface. It has sent up a few small blemishes over the month but always had a strong cystic feeling core.

I have a pimple popping up on my ear but I've gotten these ever since I started using on-ear headphones. I'm curious if these irritation based breakouts will go away after the accutane course. They've never bothered me and typically clear up very quickly. They rarely come to a head, so it basically just looks like redness on my ear. Not a problem.

No change is the bettering of blackheads but my cheeks and temple seem to look a bit clearer. I was on my way to a clear cheek before I started so I suppose the lack of additional breakouts has allowed my red spots to heal over the past 4 days.

Hopefully more updates tomorrow. I know I said I'd update every day but I may skip a few if I don't have anything to update. I don't want to bore everyone with the small changes in oily skin and getting a whitehead under my beard that is invisible to the world.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/03/2016 1:47 pm

Day 5:

Where do blackheads go if they're not being squeezed out of my skin. My nose and the surrounding areas are almost clear of blackheads. My pores that once made it almost look like i had freckles have shrunken up and I can't see them for the first time in a decade. I'm blown away.

I am seeing the effects of slower healing in that pimple I popped on the side of my mustache. The area is still red and inflamed but I don't feel or see the pressure of an active pimple anymore. Definitely seeing improvement of my cheeks. No new spots and the redness seems to be going down even though I've heard it should be going up from the Accutane. Not as flushed after taking the pill for the first few days.

My oil production is way down today. I woke up, went to church and the grocery store and came back and barely had a sheen. Those of you with oily skin know how insane it is how your shine controls your life. Wiping my face with blotting sheets every waking hour for the last 4 years has become part of my routine. My oil production goes up and down with the seasons and my physical activity but I've never gone more than 2 hours without blotting if I've been awake. I can't stress enough how much of a life change it will be if I don't have to blot at all. I'd even be overjoyed if I got an extra hour or so until I got the shine back. And once the shine isn't accentuating black heads and pimples, I'm sure it won't be as noticeable. I'll take some shine on clear skin.

No new actives. I'm going to rock a matcha mask tonight to knock out some inflammation and get all those antioxidants into my skin.

Not feeling any joint pain today and haven't gone numb in my fingers or toes while working out for the last 2 days. Lips a little dryer. Luckily I have plenty of Aquafor.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/03/2016 9:07 pm

Day 5 (cont.):

Matcha mask destroyed the redness I had on my face. I'm excited I've found something to calm my skin down every few days. Matcha + water mixed into a paste. Put it on your face for 15 minutes and rinse your face with lukewarm water. You won't believe how your skin feels after a quick mask. Don't leave it on for too much longer. I left a matcha mask on for an hour once and as soon as the mask dries and i started moving my mouth i irritated my skin too much. I was blotchy and red for an hour after rinsing. Not sure if it made a difference but turning my skin red for any reason isn't usually a good thing.

I'm pretty oily again tonight. Used a couple blotting sheets two hours after washing so I'm still pumping the stuff out. However, it seems the oil is coming from everywhere but my T-zone now. Opposite of my usual situation but the little dryness I do feel on my face is on the side of my nose and my hairline. T-zone could be the first area to dry up the oil. I'm okay with that...

MemberMember
(@mr-robert97)

Posted : 01/04/2016 2:23 am

Oil will go away in the first month or before at least mine did

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/04/2016 10:29 pm

Day 6:

I received some bad news today. My insurance changed through my employer today and while they cover 90% of prescription costs, it's only after my deductible is met. My deductible is $2500. Looks like I'll be paying retail for the next few months until I've spent $2500 and insurance kicks in. I suppose if I need the doctor after April it will be nice that insurance covers everything but I'm going to go broke this spring.

This all came on a day that the cyst I had under my cheek, the one that had been seemingly disappearing over the first few days, seems to be coming to a head. It's red and I feel two bumps under the skin. Hoping and praying that it dissolves back under the skin overnight but feeling like I'll have something brewing by tomorrow evening. Regardless, I need this resolved by Thursday so I don't have any nasty red marks on my face for my interview on Thursday. Another small whitehead popped up on my chin but my beard covers it. Same with a few under my jawline. All good with those. Forehead and temples remain clear. Silver lining.

Oil production is still high and seems like more than usual.

MemberMember
(@william8026)

Posted : 01/05/2016 7:37 am

Good luck with Accutane. I got my initial breakout on the 8th day, my face literally went crazy. Pimples clustered in my upper lip area, I counted 17 pimples that day and I have a few pics in my log if you'd like to see, just click the link in my signature. :) BTW I wouldn't want to put any masks on my skin whilst on Acccutane, who knows what could happen and the redness I had is gone so I wouldn't worry too much about redness right now.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/05/2016 9:07 am

Definitely appreciate the support. I assume you're cleared up now so I hope I'm not rude in saying your case was much worse than mine. I only say this because I hope my initial breakout is less severe. Yours wasn't even so bad other than the cluster around the mouth. That looked like a nightmare. Congrats on sticking it out. I have the task of sticking out a nasty blemish that came to a head overnight. It's not too inflamed so I'm hoping I can get thru the day and see if the head comes off with a warm compress after work. The last spot (side of my mustache) that I popped is still a day or two from healing. I thought I did a great job removing that pimple but the healing process has been brutally slow.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/05/2016 9:37 pm

Day 7:

Good day for progress today. The pimple that came to a head overnight remained calm all day. Not inflamed and a very small head. I let it be. I did a spin class after work and after showering and washing my face, the head has almost diminished completely. I'm hoping this is a trend with whiteheads. I'd love for them to disappear in less than 24 hours. Not likely, but I'm happy this one is moving fast.

No new spots to speak of. I had a few areas that looked like they might sprout a blemish but these areas have calmed and no longer inflamed. My forehead and nose are starting to feel a bit like sandpaper. I've read about sandpaper like skin in a lot of accutane logs and everyone mentions it's basically the blackheads pushing out of your skin but not visible.

Still oily today and not feeling any dryer other than my lips. The chap is real. I put Aquafor on every hour when i blot. I'm hoping blotting drops off soon and I'm fine with adding Aquafor. It feels so good.

I got another whitehead under my jaw, under my beard. No harm no foul there. I'll take 20 pimples on my jaw line if I can avoid my cheeks and mouth. That'd be a godsend.

1 week down.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/06/2016 9:17 pm

Day 8:

Two poppings this morning. One the whitehead on my beard. There was so much pressure behind it and I could care less if it scars. It's under my beard. Good pop. The second was the pimple that came to a head on day 6. I woke up at 5am and it the whitehead looked like it was completely outside my skin. I grabbed a tissue and did a gentle wipe over it and it fell off. Tiny bit of blood underneath but no need for even a squeeze. Went back to sleep for a couple hours and it had shriveled up and started healing by 7. Good pop (wipe). The spot next to my mustache is basically clear. I couldn't feel any bump when I washed tonight.

I have constant feelings of blind pimples all over my face, mostly my cheeks but I'm starting to think it's just the dryness setting in and my skin feeling tight. There's no indication of breakouts on my cheeks.

My nose feels a bit more like sandpaper. Oil was better today but still heavy. Probably 90% of what it usually is. Only required blotting every 1.5 hours and I forgot it for a couple hours and didn't look horrible.

Overall feel like my skin looks better. I'd say my skin was popping a new active once a week before I started the pill and I've only had 3 serious spots in the first week of the pill. Since this is expected from my high dose as an "initial breakout", I'm fine with it. I only call it an initial breakout because it's 3 this week vs. my typical 1 but they've only lasted a few days whereas my 1 per week might stick around for a week and compound with the next weeks breakout. I've only had 1 featured spot since starting the drug and my forehead and nose are almost blackhead free. Happy with the results so far.

Still not looking forward to my $700+ refill on Feb.2...

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/07/2016 7:13 pm

Day 9:

Another good day for my skin. I had an interview today and I felt pretty confident in my skin and my oil was way down. Lucky for me because it was a two hour interview. About 1.5 hours in the interviewer walked out and I did a quick nose swipe with the back of my hand (pro-tip for sensing how much oil you have on your skin) and my hand was clear. Phew.

The sides of my noses are so red and dry. It's the feeling when you've had a cold for a week and have been blowing your nose. Irritated, red, dry, raw. It's the worst side effect I have now though. My only other is red blotches on top of my hands. Not sure what it is. No texture or bumpiness or pain. My hands haven't been dry as I've been using a hand cream. Curious.

I'm leaving one of the pimples under my beard be. See what the healing process is like without popping since I can't feel pressure from this one. No other indicators of a breakout but I'm getting close to the time where these logs turn into nightmare stories.

Wish me luck.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/08/2016 11:04 pm

Day 10:

I don't know why, but some days you look at your skin after vast improvements, there are no new spots, but I feel like I look like trash. I think I've been extra flushed today and it seemed to magnify the blackheads beside my nose. I had a small whitehead pop up beside my nostril today. I know it'll be hard by tomorrow morning but it's a pain in the ass. I'm still not looking as bad as I thought and this breakout is pretty typical of what I've been seeing lately, but it's definitely a step backward from when I started (which was no actives/just blackheads and one cyst).

Positive notes: my oil production continues to go way down and the sides of my nose aren't as red and dry. I'm not sure why this feeling fluctuates but it seems to go away when I wash. Whatever is building up through the day clears out with a wash.

The spot under my beard has seemed to dry up. I can't see it but I can't feel the head anymore. That was quick at least. I have the same hopes for the two spots on my face.

10 days down. 800mg in. 10mg per kg of body weight...110mg/kg to go.

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 01/09/2016 1:12 pm

I'm only on day 3 and this morning out of the shower, I felt very flushed. Got splotchy red on my face and then it went away about 10 minutes after. Weird. I hear you, some times I look at the mirror and I think I look good, other times I look trashed, it might have to do with the he different lights out there. Who knows, looking forward to this being over.

Stephen23 liked
MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/09/2016 1:19 pm

Day 11:

I popped the former cyst that laid under my skin for a month and recently came to a head. It sat on my face all week. I was trying to respect the medication and let it do work but after popping this guy I felt it wouldn't have left if I didn't. I took a warm tissue to the spot on the side of my nostril and it came right off and almost looks to not have a crater underneath like it was fully above my skin. I'm not going to let white heads lay on my skin anymore if they're fully at head. I have noticed differences in how whiteheads work on isotretinoin. They reach their final form and sit on my skin, hardening, until I gently remove them. I assume the spot I popped would have hardened in a couple days but now I barely have a red mark and it's simply gone.Hopefully I'm far along in the process that I won't have the typical follow up irritation breakout due to popping that I've grown accustomed to. My face over the last few years has been the result of a chain reaction breakout. The same spots breakout due to irritation from popping.

I'm still not to the point where i feel my acne going away. I'm looking forward to the day I look in the mirror and look better than ever before. Unfortunately, I've been totally clear at moments in the last 10 years while on Dan's regimen. But it's only been a few days at a time and I've always had hyperpigmentation, so I feel like I will see the results I want after my entire course when I have stopped breaking out and my hyperpigmentation is gone.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/11/2016 6:53 pm

Day 12/13:

The former cyst gone whitehead that I popped healed up over the last two days. Little bit of a scab/red mark but 3x better than a whitehead. Unfortunately on the night of day 12 another whitehead popped up alongside the scar. Unbelievable. It's almost gone now on day 13 and I'm loving this new healing timeline. The few whiteheads I haven't popped have essentially turned to stone and fallen off while washing or with a small push from my fingernail. I'm going to leave this one until it does that since it doesn't look like I can pop it. It's strange. Flat with the skin and isn't super visible.

I had another small whitehead pop up on my chin. It's right about my beard but very small and unnoticeable. I'm hoping it has a quick turnaround time as well.

I had a good day for oil production. Way down again. I'm still blotting a dozen times a day but I think it's out of fear that my skin isn't actually changing. I'm afraid if I'm sitting for an hour I look like an oil slick. It'll take some time to fix that problem, but it'll be a good problem to have.

I think I mentioned this early in the first week, but I kind of like the flushing this drug does to my face. The redness is almost like a mild sunburn that covers up existing red spots. I do look a bit silly with a mild sunburn in mid-January but it could be easily mistaken for wind-burn. It's cold here.

I thought my blackheads were gone but they're still lingering a bit on my nose and the sides of my nose are starting to push out and become very visible. I'm interested to know what my skin will look like without them because they are so prominent on my face and have been for a long time. It's not something you notice from afar but I imagine if I'm close to someone's face it's all they can see.

I'm calling my doctor's office tomorrow to inquire about pricing options for next month. I can't rationalize $700 a month for the next few months (assuming I'm doing 4 months total). I've heard there are coupons available from some manufacturers and the doctor may even have sample packs he can give out. I hope there's some solution. $200 for the first month was a hit enough on my budget and I can't do $500 more without dipping seriously into my savings.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/12/2016 8:51 am

Day 14:

2 weeks! I'm having my best skin day to date. The spot that came up on day 12 fell off when washing. No mark. The spot on my shin disappeared overnight. Was it a crumb on my face from dinner? Who knows. I don't mind.

The worst thing happening right now is still the blackheads pushing out of my skin. When I look very closely you can almost see the bumps these blackheads are making as they push their way out of my skin. The redness is out of control on my nose and the sides of my nose because of this. It seems to be worst an hour or so after taking medication and luckily I rarely see anyone at these times. In the morning I don't typically have meetings until 10a at the earliest (some days no meetings) and I wouldn't really have to see anyone all day (ideal until I'm completely clear and not red). At night I'm either at home or in a dark restaurant or bar. Redness doesn't make a difference.

Let's see how long we can keep up this no actives thing. I'd like to start a streak. I know I'll probably have some more breakouts but it's comforting knowing one of these days a pimple may be my last.

MemberMember
(@william8026)

Posted : 01/12/2016 8:41 pm

On 06/01/2016, 0147, suite said:

Definitely appreciate the support. I assume you're cleared up now so I hope I'm not rude in saying your case was much worse than mine. I only say this because I hope my initial breakout is less severe. Yours wasn't even so bad other than the cluster around the mouth. That looked like a nightmare. Congrats on sticking it out. I have the task of sticking out a nasty blemish that came to a head overnight. It's not too inflamed so I'm hoping I can get thru the day and see if the head comes off with a warm compress after work. The last spot (side of my mustache) that I popped is still a day or two from healing. I thought I did a great job removing that pimple but the healing process has been brutally slow.

Yeah, I definitely felt monstrous. I couldn't move my mouth around because it'd be so painful, I was glad when it was over and I didn't expect anything that bad.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/14/2016 9:58 pm

Day 15/16:

Amazing turnaround time on pimples when on Accutane. I felt a bump on my forehead this morning (no redness), saw redness at lunch, and it came to a head by dinner. It popped when I washed after showering and the swelling has already gone down. I have one other new spot with the same timeline on my temple but it didn't pop and the whitehead seems to be hardening already. We'll let this one sit overnight and see what happens.

I'm still not oil free. Blotting every couple hours but after blotting I am noticeably more matte. Blackheads are really pushing to the surface over the last couple days. I'm extra red on the sides of my nose where I have the most blackheads. I'm curious how long this process will last. I'd love to exfoliate and end this but I would never do that to my skin right now based on how sensitive I hear it is. I definitely haven't experienced the sensitivity most people report and no dryness. My lips though...SO dry. I lost my Aquafor and Carmex and thought I'd make it through the day with Burt's Bees. No chance. They looked awful by the end of the day. I'm buying more Aquafor tomorrow.

I'm going home this weekend and I hope my skin continues to approve. I'll see my parents and they are worried about the side effects of the drug and the price. They thought I should stop and try another option when they heard about my insurance issues. I do like that they'll see me now and then again in a month when I'm hopefully looking much better. I've gotten a kick out of seeing people that I only see once every couple months. Next time they see me I'll be clear (fingers crossed).

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/17/2016 6:31 pm

Day 17/18/19:

Best days yet for my skin. I had one little red mark from a spot that appeared Friday and dried up overnight when I went home on Saturday. I was especially flushed all day but no one asked questions. My parents commented that my skin looked good. The red mark is continuing to disappear and it's Sunday night so by Monday it should be a non-issue. I noticed my nose and sides of my nose nearing my cheeks are very bumpy from the blackheads pushing out. They look larger than usual and some seems to have small hair like extensions at the end, which I'm guessing is just part of the blackhead when it's out of the skin. I pushed a couple obvious ones out but overall I'm leaving and letting them do their thing. Those who do get red seem to only do so for a couple hours and then push out enough to take away the pressure. Bizarre.

Lips are still dry but Carmex is saving my life. I glob it on at night and by the morning I'm not torn up. If I don't have it all day my lips shrivel and crack. With it, it's bearable but also the glossiest option out there. I look like I'm wearing lip gloss but I'll take that over dry cracked lips any day.

I'm really enjoying eating what I want. I always had a fear that if I ate a slice of pizza or had a few beers I'd wake up with a pimple, which always seemed to be true. I'm letting myself ignore the rules I've laid out and it is truly freeing. I'm still very healthy and during the week I follow a strict diet due to my workout schedule. It's nice to let loose once in a while and not worry about a pimple resulting.

If I look this good 1 month in, I can't wait to see the coming months and finally what my skin looks like when it's not flushed half of the day. My scarring is minimal but I've noticed the hyperpigmentation has had an opportunity to heal up since I haven't had much of a breakout yet.

Onto day 20!

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/20/2016 8:54 pm

Day 20/21/22:

The best days have been followed by the worst days. I broke out in a few spots: my cheek, both temples and above my eyebrow. All of the spots but my eyebrow have come to a head and are healing. The spot above my eyebrow looks like a blackhead that is trying to push out and just causing redness. Hopefully it pushes out enough to relieve the pressure.

The texture of my skin is horrible where the rest of my blackheads are pushing out on my nose and the sides of my nose. I hope this process doesn't last long as it's very noticeable and magnifies the blackheads, even though they are on their way out.

Oil is still down and thank goodness it is. If I had these breakouts with the texture issue and oil, I'd be feeling a lot worse as oily skin makes everything shine and look double as bad.

I have 4 more days of 80mg until I have to take 40mg for 9 days until I have my 1 month bloodtest. I'm going to try to schedule an appointment early next week so I don't have to down my dosage for that long. I'd like to keep up the 80mg since the side effects aren't bothering me and continue my way to clear skin.

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 01/31/2016 4:58 pm

Week 4:

Progress between Day 1-22 was marked by daily changes, but I don't foresee as many day-to-day changes in the following months. In the final week, I've completely dried up. No more oily skin. The bumpiness from black heads went away and gave way to what I believe is the final stage of these blackheads. I couldn't squeeze them out if I wanted to. I'm clear in a few places but where blackheads remain I have dark plugs that seem to be stuck in my skin. I had a couple days where my nose was very red and I imagine one of these plugs pushed out.

My face is shedding waxy blackheads every morning and night during washing. Skin turnover is still very fast so any red marks resulting from a blackhead pushing its way out is gone within 24 hours.

I've been off the pills for 2 days as I await for them to be shipped to my local Walmart. I'm needlessly worried about being off the drug for 2 days as I want the progress to continue. I read dozens of threads where no one has had an issue unless they were left without a dose for more than a week. Let's hope Walmart actually ordered my pills and they're in tomorrow. If not I'm ordering from the mail order pharmacy because I don't want to deal with Walmart's bullshit.

I've had lots of ups and downs with my skin in the first month and have often felt it looks good. Today I think it looks bad. I only have a couple active spots but I'm very red everywhere but my eyes. It doesn't pass as windburn or just having a red face. It looks bizarre. I'd take the redness without breakouts, which I imagine I'll have for the next few months but each pimple that pops up on my face is a little less tolerated. It's cool knowing I'm close to that last breakout, but I'm getting impatient.

I'll update again in a week after I start month 2