accutane progress

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 12/27/2015 1:29 am

I've decided to start an accutane diary to see how much I'm progressing.

I'm female, 5'5'', 130 lbs and on 40 mg a day.

My acne started at around 12. At 14, I began getting cystic acne, but was taken to a dermatologist before things got worse. I was put on antibiotics that cleared me up for a long time. When I moved in with my mom next year, I stopped taking them...and the acne came back much worse than it was before. I'm now on accutane and REALLY hoping that this works for me, since acne has shattered my self-esteem and made me want to spend my days locked in my room.

Day 93

I've improved since the first month but am a bit disappointed. I had many "underground" cysts, that clearly existed below my skin but weren't visible or red. Those all went away...and left me with really ugly red scarring.

I'm recovering from a breakout I had a while ago. I currently have five actives from it, they're all healing but not as fast as I'd like them to.

I still have closed comedones on my forehead. Those are worrying me. Two are a bit red, but look like tiny papules instead of forming nodules, so I guess that's good...I don't know what i'm gonna do if these turn cystic.

I had two panic attacks today, thinking that accutane wasn't working for me. I'm obsessively checking the mirror, but at the same time avoiding it out of fear of seeing new pimples.

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 12/27/2015 11:24 am

Day 94

One new active on my forehead. I feel angry and frustrated. Why the fuck isn't this "miracle drug" working for me? I'm in the 4th month already.

MemberMember
(@walkonmoveforward)

Posted : 12/27/2015 2:30 pm

I just completed one month and i'monly now starting to get my IB. I hope things start improving for you soon.

MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 12/28/2015 6:58 am

Honestly, I'm so sorry that it's slow for you. The thing is, if you check your skin every single day/stress over it, it's really gonna bring you down. It is extremely unlikely that the accutane WON'T work for you - you may have to give it 2 more months.

I would recommend totally detaching from it - don't think about acne.org, your acne or accutane and just focus on stuff in your life. That'll make time go much faster. Then, when you've reached the end of month 6 you can really look at your skin + decide if it's working or not. Sucks though, I'm so sorry.

Maybe take the accutane with a shot of olive oil, to make sure you're getting enough fat as it's fat soluble.Are you getting any of the side effects/dry lips?

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 12/28/2015 4:14 pm

9 hours ago, chicanery said:

Honestly, I'm so sorry that it's slow for you. The thing is, if you check your skin every single day/stress over it, it's really gonna bring you down. It is extremely unlikely that the accutane WON'T work for you - you may have to give it 2 more months.

I would recommend totally detaching from it - don't think about acne.org, your acne or accutane and just focus on stuff in your life. That'll make time go much faster. Then, when you've reached the end of month 6 you can really look at your skin + decide if it's working or not. Sucks though, I'm so sorry.

Maybe take the accutane with a shot of olive oil, to make sure you're getting enough fat as it's fat soluble.Are you getting any of the side effects/dry lips?

I do have the side effects , and I've been takingit with high fat meals....I don't have hope for myself anymore

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 12/29/2015 12:39 am

day 95

i have some hope... my back and chest are pretty much 100% clear. I just recently noticed this, I guess I was so obsessed with my face that I wasn't checking my back. I'm really hoping my face is next to clear up.

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 12/29/2015 3:10 pm

How many more weeks have you got on Accutane?

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 12/29/2015 4:17 pm

This sucks. I'm on week 9 and getting frustrated already. Skin worse an when is started. Friend of mine didn't see any improvement until month 5 though. Everyone is different. Fingers crossed I'm sure it will work! Good luck

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 12/30/2015 7:07 pm

On 12/29/2015, 606, ben100604 said:

How many more weeks have you got on Accutane?

About 12

here's my face. most of those marks are scars that have been there for a long time , I don't know how to get rid of them 

image.jpeg

before I started accutane ...I like looking at this to remind myself that it was worse before 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 12/30/2015 7:38 pm

a close up of my current face 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 12/31/2015 12:20 am

4 hours ago, ihateacne33 said:

a close up of my current face 

image.jpeg

Wow i can see a big improvement to your previous photo. Looks like the accutane is working. Red marks and scars will take more time to heal. But at least all the active pimples look to be gone.

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 12/31/2015 6:19 pm

Well there's definite improvement. It's looking a lot calmer!

And you're bound to see lots more progress over the next 12 weeks, so good luck!

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 01/01/2016 10:54 pm

day 100

ive noticed that instead of my closed comedones turning into actual acne, they just kinda come out, forming a really, REALLY small whitehead with no inflammation . then they disappear. has anyone else experienced this? I would take a picture, but it's basically microscopic and you can't see it unless you look really closely.

there's a few old bumps, but no major breakouts since a week ago, when I was on my period. with the exception of those, my skin feels very smooth. itsdry, but I've been drinking lots of water and the place I live in is extremely humid, so no peeling.

my back hasn't broken out in weeks.

however I still have gross, ugly scars from the cystic acne I had on it. ugh, these are more stubborn than actual acne.

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 01/02/2016 4:57 am

I never posted this before , here's my other cheek.

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@sadnesssss)

Posted : 01/02/2016 4:14 pm

LOL i hate when people with no major issues ( scars)like u are getting stressed , stay happy , except the acne zone your face looks soooo beautifull and flawless and smooth , u look great , nice improvement , after accutane tge healing process will start and your face will look 100% perfect in ~1 year or less

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 01/03/2016 2:46 pm

Day 101

small pimple on my forehead. I won't get too upset over this, I haven't had a cystic one in about two weeks. I'll just keep reminding myself that there was a time I had twenty cystic zits on my face at a time.

I'm surprised at how clear my cheeks are.i looked at a mirror in lighting that hid my redness, and it looked like I had completely clear skin.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 01/04/2016 7:47 pm

Hey girl :) Read your other post...My face looked similar before I took Accutane years ago. I had alot of red marks left over and they took a while to fade. More so after my treatment was finished. I used (and still use to this day) Organic Apple Cidar Vinegar as a toner for my face :) Diluting it with water of course. But i can deffinetely see the improvement. I had a hard time too because you dont see the real affects until after your course is done. I got pimples on accutane too and I thought they wouldn't stop,  It'll continue to get better :) 

Accutane for some reason makes your red marks appear more right while youre on it too, something I wish I had known when i took it! 

Good luck beautiful :) 

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 01/05/2016 9:31 pm

day 104

popped a small papule underneath a healing cyst and made the cyst bleed.... ugh.... what do I do now? it hurts pretty badly ...

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 01/09/2016 5:04 pm

day 107

all I got this week were two very small papules. I popped them both.
heres my face with makeup. redness is my main concern right now but at least it's easy to hide!
hopefully soon my skin will look like this naturally 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 01/09/2016 6:11 pm

You're looking good!

You'll be fighting the boys off before you know it (if you aren't already!).

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 01/10/2016 5:00 pm

day 108
im wondering whether or not I should be using moisturizer?

MemberMember
(@criz98)

Posted : 01/10/2016 6:19 pm

Hello, im so happy accutane is working for you!! Me myslef im starting minth two and i hve a question , everytime i go get my prescription my doctor has to send a paper to my insurance to authorize it which take 24-48 hours meaning i have no pills for 1-3 days every month does this happen to you or anyone on accutane ?

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 01/13/2016 5:23 pm

On January 10, 2016 at 849 PM, Criz98 said:

Hello, im so happy accutane is working for you!! Me myslef im starting minth two and i hve a question , everytime i go get my prescription my doctor has to send a paper to my insurance to authorize it which take 24-48 hours meaning i have no pills for 1-3 days every month does this happen to you or anyone on accutane ?

I'm not sure, I personally don't do it but I live in Brazil

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 01/13/2016 5:25 pm

Im glad your course is working for you!! keep us posted with pictures!!

MemberMember
(@nickrazell)

Posted : 01/16/2016 8:16 pm

LOL! wow good work!
pretty pretty skin now :) 
I'm glad!
You're so courageous, I'm still afraid to take Accutane.