Notifications
Clear all

Anyone tried Onexton?

MemberMember
(@seckf93gj)

Posted : 12/26/2015 5:47 pm

I only saw a few posts and a few reviews. I thought there'd be more. I know that the ingredients in it are found in other prescription topicals as a combo, but the percentage in these seems to be different.

I'm thinking of asking my dermatologist to give me a prescription. Other than some reviews stating it's made their skin dry and irritated, no one has mentioned awful break outs that occur for the first few months which is just ridiculous. I can't try something like tretinoin that's going to make my life a living hell for several months and then maybe not be worth it. At least onexton seems to work quickly which is how I thought acne meds should be.

Just curious if anyone has heard/had some experience with it.

MemberMember
(@geri-g)

Posted : 12/27/2015 7:16 am

I've been dealing with terrible cystic acne on my chin area (sometimes around my nose and eyebrows). I know it's hormonal, but I refuse to take pills for the problem. Instead, I've been going with topical treatments and, if necessary, shots of cortizone if the cyst is bad. Right before Thanksgiving, (about a month ago), my derm gave me Onexton to try. Fingers crossed....so far, it's actually working in preventing AND getting rid of (I had a cyst pop out and it got rid of it in three days. Usually, they are there for weeks).

I started off slow with the product. I used small amounts only on my chin. I continued to use the Epiduo on other areas of my face. I used in the morning and night. Then I used it around my nose. Now, I'm starting to not use the Epiduo at all and I just use the Onexton. It makes my face red at first, but then it goes away.

I know I will never get rid of my cystic acne (at least not until my hormones level out!), but this product keeps it under control, and for that, I'm thankful. Not sure how long it will last as I believe skin builds a tolerance to products over time and that is why it stops working, but for now, it's a HUGE help and improvement.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Acne is debilitating and stinks!

MemberMember
(@seckf93gj)

Posted : 12/27/2015 3:00 pm

Thank you for your reply, I'm glad to hear it's worked for you. Question...what do you cleanse your face with? I read that it's recommended to use a gentle cleanser when using Onexton.

MemberMember
(@geri-g)

Posted : 12/28/2015 6:44 am

I use the Skinceuticals gentle cleanser and toner. And I use them day and night. Then I apply the Onexton and then finally I use dermalogica moisturizer. Don't know why I use twodifferent brands but it works. They aren't cheap but I would spend any amount on having a clear face.

MemberMember
(@seckf93gj)

Posted : 12/28/2015 10:51 am

I'm thinking of just getting a basic gentle cleanser over the counter and using onexton in the morning. A BP cleanser seems to work well for me for the most part, way better than a gentle cleanser, but since I'd been using a topical with BP I guess I should do what is suggested. It's hard to find a gentle cleanser without pore clogging or acne irritating ingredients.

Do you think I can do without a toner and just do the cleanser and onexton and a moisturizer if needed? have you tried that?

MemberMember
(@geri-g)

Posted : 12/28/2015 8:07 pm

skinceuticals is over the counter and highly recommended by many doctors. I've tried so many, and just love the gentle cleanser. But I find I need the toner with the cleanser to get all of my makeup off. I know toner is great for cleaning, and it really helps to get all of my makeup off, but if you feel your cleanser does that, then you cantry to skip a toner

one thing I can say is that doing the cleansing day and night on a strict regimen definitely helps. I also suggest doing the onextonat night at first. And perhaps use it on one area. Is your acne cystic? Or all over?

now that I know it doesn't dry my face too much, I use it in my bad areas in the morning and all over at night.

🙂

MemberMember
(@pinkberry)

Posted : 01/08/2016 11:26 pm

My son who is 17 was prescribed Onexton when he saw a new derm last June. We were highly skeptical because he had tried different forms of BP, and lots of other things that never really worked well, including Retin A. But the Onexton worked. And it worked fast without irritation. He used it once a day back in summer and fall but has cut back to every other day now that the weather is colder and drier. He just uses a mild cleanser from Clinique.
He never had cystic acne, just persistent small pimples on his cheeks. And the Onexton cleared it up well. It has a short shelf-life so I'd recommend keeping it in the fridge.

MemberMember
(@tillybean)

Posted : 01/09/2016 9:20 am

I was just prescribed Onexton, in conjunction with Retin-A and Spiro, for my hormonal acne. I had been using Duac, but it would make my face really red, hot, and peel horrendously. She thought this might be better, since it has lower BP percentage. I just got it in the mail (insurance didn't cover it at my pharmacy), and used it for the first time this morning. My face is still burning almost an hour later. I use Cerave Hydrating Cleanser and their AM/PM moisturizer. I would go slow with the Onexton! I think I am only going to use it on my jawline, where my breakout is worst.

MemberMember
(@lauren-kowalski)

Posted : 04/25/2016 7:34 pm

I've been using Onexton since December of 2015 for acne around the chin. I did not get an initial breakout and it seemed to work within a week or two. You'll notice that instead of whiteheads you may get small red bumps that will disappear in a few days. While it definitely reduced my acne, it did not clear it completely, most likely because it's hormonal. The Onexton did not make my skin red but it did get flaky, which in my opinion helps with scars. The only time my chin was completely clear, was with Onexton and birth control, however, the birth control made my cheeks breakout. Anyways, I do recommend Onexton, but it may not be a long term solution. You'll still get breakouts, maybe not as severe.